Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I picked up my almost brand new 2014 899 Panigale yesterday with 300 miles only bone stock. It's my first bike and so far loving it! Sold my GTR to get this bad boy!

Was stuck between the white or red color choice but after seeing the red in person I knew it's going home with me.

-Sev
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Red Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle racer Motorcycling

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Congrats, it's an awesome machine! Please make sure to wear all your protective gear, all the time!

I also love the red!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I rode it home with a eBay helmet that I had laying around but the bike is in the garage right now, gonna get some nice gears on my day off, any recommendations on helmets would be appreciated as I said I'm new to riding.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Rut Ro… first bike? Panigale 899 and sold a GTR to get it? EEK!!!!

Umm… did you take a basic motorcycle safety course before buying?

Just an FYI, those chest/shoulder/back protectors don't do anything. When you crash, they simply fly off because they're designed to be worn under a tight over garment like a leather jacket or track suit. Out here in So Cal we call riders wearing that sort of gear "squids" because generally they are inexperienced and have fancy bikes. The inexperience comes from having yet to lay their bikes down. Once you crash and realize what happens in a crash, most people wake up and change their attitude. It's better to listen to people with lots of crashing experience like myself, so you know which direction to go in so when it happens to you, at least you've benefited from someone else's experience.

So yea, nice leather or textile jacket, set of actual riding boots none of this knee high bullshit, leather gloves and a decent helmet. I do recommend a set of textile or leather pants as well if you plan on doing some serious riding in the near future. For daily commutes, a decent set of jeans will be better then shorts, but they don't do much for crash protection.

Shoei, Arai, Bell, Nolan and AGV make acceptable helmets, but never buy the cheapest one. Sidi and Alpinestars make excellent high quality, long-lasting riding boots. Don't ever buy a boot that is cut off at the ankle, make sure its a full boot and I know it may sound gay, but tuck your pants into the boot to help fill the gap between your leg and the boot, as every single boot is made to be worn with leathers on and the protection in a leather suit goes INTO the boot, so they're generally wide at the top. In terms of jacket/gloves, I still wear a lightweight Dainese textile jacket and with built in back, shoulder, arm protection. It was cheap, $250 - $300 with everything included and a set of matching gloves. Again, can't wear those shorty gloves, gotta have a gauntlet glove which covers over the jacket, so when you go down, you've got good leather wrist protection. For canyon riding and track days, I prefer a rigid gauntlet glove like the Coretech Adrenaline, which are a great glove. Recommended jacket/glove gear companies: Spidi, Alpinestars, Dainese and Cortech. Some dealerships only sell one or two of those brands, so its good to have a wider rage of selection.

I hope this information is a good start to get you going. Riding is a lot of fun, but unlike driving a car, you have to WEAR the "cage" so to speak. So it's hypercritical to buy good gear (which lasts a long time) and most importantly wear it all the time. Gear is no good sitting in your bedroom closet and if you have a significant other you plan on toting around, buy them gear as well. Motorcycling is no joke, thousands of people die every year from making silly mistakes or interfering with a car. This is why education is paramount. Just because you can swing your leg over a bike and twist the throttle, doesn't mean you have any idea how to ride. Be careful and don't become another statistic. ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the info and the heads up! Much appreciated I've been riding my buddy's kawasaki 636 for the past 7-8 months so that was my practice ride, I didn't buy the bike to get the full track/canyon potentiometer or speed. I bought it simply because I've always loved Ducati's and I love the 2014 body. I've had my share of fun track days with the GTR (722 AWHP) So I'm not new to speed and getting that rush you get going a little fast, this is simply a bike to hop on 2-3 a week go for a ride and enjoy the Cali weather. Some say I should've just bought a GSX if I'm only riding but it's my bike I'll cruise it, to each their own.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike! I recently bought my used 848 from BH Ducati and they had the 899 Panigale's in the showroom and they are beautiful. The tail fairing on those things are so cool. Definitely a new helmet is in order. Shoei is a great brand, so nice choice. Take a look at the Arai helmets also, they offer great protection. I noticed that all helmets feel a little different and I'm assuming that your head shape will have a lot to do with the brand that feels most comfortable, so just try them all on and see which is best. Whichever you get make sure that it's not only DOT approved, but Snell approved also. I definitely recommend a one piece if you're going to do any type of aggressive riding (canyons, track days); it's amazing the type of confidence being completely geared up will give you. Boots are important, gloves are a must (hands are usually the first thing that hits the ground) but it looks like in the picture you already have a pair.

Have fun man. If you're in the LA area make sure you hit the canyons up a few times before it gets too cold out there. Lots of experienced riders out there and they're always willing to lend some insight and advice.

Congrats again.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Congrats and welcome to da club!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys! I'm feeling the love already haha. But I'm gonna hold off on canyons for now but hopefully soon I might be down!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I use Shoei helmets...They fit my particular head shape the best. Aside from brand, you want the proper fit, thats the most important. You want a tight fit around the cheeks, the helmet will break in. When i get a new helmet, normally I end up biting the inside of my mouth a bit untill its broken in.

The 899 is a very very racetrack capable weapon, so be careful. Please exercise throttle restraint until you have many thousands of miles under your belt. The 899 is designed to race...you, as a new rider do not have the throttle modulation to master it just yet. So take it easy! I only say this to protect you and your beautiful bike.

I highly recommend the beginners safety course. Not only will you learn things you cannot on your own, but most states and insurance compaines give insurance discounts to 'trained riders'. Look into it, youll be glad you did once its done!

And if you cannot or do not goto the riding school, please research riding techniques.

-Countersteering is VITAL to your survival, long term.

When riding please always look way way ahead of you, like 50 or 100 yards ahead...if youre looking at the ground in front of the bike, thats a recipe for disaster.

Learn about and AVOID 'target fixation'

When braking, weather hard panic stop or just slowing down, practice 'Set the brake, then squeeze' What that means is dont just grab a whole handful of front brake at once...your bike had enough front brake force to stand the bike up on its nose at over 80mph....careful. (I may get flamed for this but..I never use the rear brake while riding. Only while stopped at a red light or stop sign just to keep the machine from rolling. The rear brake does nothing for me while in motion...I dont use it)

I guess thats enough for today, good luck, nice bike, enjoy and ride safe!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you jwm2k3 I will definitely look into safety course, I'm ready to learn and of course safety first. I appreciate all the comments and heads up. I'm still getting used to this beasts throttle nothing compare to a 636.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
I highly recommend watching this video and get a track day under you belt :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Congrats!!!

RawCati...

Awesome ride my friend... Congrats!!!!

I just ordered a 2015 Multistrada 1200 S. Bring on spring!!! :yo:

As the others have mentioned, please enroll in a motorcycle safety/skills course. Take it very easy and don't get over confident. Don't let your throttle hand write checks that your talents can't cash!

Have fun and ride safe...

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts