Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

After a break of nearly 20 years from my original Monster 900S I've decided to get another one.

My first monster was unreliable to say the least. Clutches mainly but problems also included a snapped belt on my way home from a new belt service and constant rear brake light issues caused by poor connections.

It meant I went Japanese for a few years!

Sound is amazing for road legal. I'm finding it hard to justify, like many of you, the termi price. It's staggering that a full Akrapovic system costs the same as termi end cans. S'pose you'd need a power commander for the Akrapovic though?

Perhaps I need to physically hear the difference.

Anyone heard or got experience of the shark track silencer? - pic attached.

Mine's only broken down once! - It switched iteself off (on my test ride) then when I restarted the bike it would only let me ride at 31mph until I switched it off and on again after a minute.

Hope it was a one off! - hasn't happened since.

The bike's 2nd service (one after 600mile service) was serviced early by it's previous owner in Aug-15 but the bike says it needs an oil service on the display. My local dealer said they didn't re-set the warning as there wasn't one when it had it's service early so I might as well just put up with the warning until I get it serviced in Aug-16.

It's such a sweet bike to ride and quick enough too!

Seating position is good for me and the right foot issue isn't a problem either.

The mirrors are amusing let's say...
I don't want to get bar end mirrors though as I have to filter through traffic on a regular basis so I guess I'm stuck with them? -I'd be grateful for any suggestions of mirrors that wouldn't add to the width of my bike?

Shoutout to Holdfast - loving your Youtube videos! - Keep up the good work.

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Welcome back to the madness!
Mine has shut-off on me once, a while after I owned it. It was a cold morning (low 40's) and I did not warm it up so at the first stop down the street, I clutched in kind of quick and it shut off. Started up fine and I rode off. Never did it again.

Although, on really cold mornings, with stock exhaust, I could get it to do that on demand. As soon I start it, if I do 3-4 really small revs, not going over 2K RPM, I can get it to shut off every single time. Have not tried since I installed Zard. I think it's going to be cold tomorrow so I will see if it still does it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Neil, welcome. Rizoma Spy R's are my choice. I have the 80mm on the 821 Dark (flipped in because I commute on that and need to filter) and the 60mm on the 1200s (flipped out because I don't filter much on that). Great quality and no vibration. Thoroughly recommended.

I tried all sorts of positioning with them and settled on what I have now which gives me the best rear views.

(Sorry about the pictures being upside down - the site seems to randomly position them but the right themselves when opened).

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome and congrats on picking up the M821! It has been an unbelievably fun bike to ride. It is surprisingly lively in Sport mode but having the option to throttle her back in Urban is such a pleasure for city riding.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Frank,

Much cleaner look than the normal mirrors.

So I'm looking at (UK) about £200 for a pair + the cost of the necessary adaptors.

I like the way you've fitted them to your 821 - I can still squeeze through traffic!.

Just got to decide if I want 60 or 80mm...

decisions decisions!

Neil

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've ordered a 60mm pair! yay!

Now my pugs will be able to use the mirrors too! lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You'll find a big difference with them Neil!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm having a fair bit of trouble removing the original mirrors.

They appear to have been installed with red threadlock.

I've managed to get one off but I'm close to treading the other one.

I really don't want to thread the bolt but it's totally stuck.

Any ideas?

Neil

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll give it a try, Thanks.

I've never had this problem before - so it's all a bit new!

I've got a cooks blowtorch, and a soldering iron so hopefully the soldering iron will work as things could get messy! lol.

Reactions: xSnakeDoctor

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'll give it a try, Thanks.

I've never had this problem before - so it's all a bit new!

I've got a cooks blowtorch, and a soldering iron so hopefully the soldering iron will work as things could get messy! lol.
As Volambre says, it's a left hand screw so turn it the other way! Should come out easy enough.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After using the right tools at home it's out now and the bike looks sweet.

So much so I took the wife out on the back for the first time. I was kinda hoping she'd hate it but unfortunately she loved it.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another picture

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And one more

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks spot on Neil!

·
Registered
30 Posts
love the looks of those Shark Track slip ons, would love to see them in person and be able to order from a supplier in the US

1 - 18 of 18 Posts