·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I'm uber jealous now!

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talk about a case of fate.......so over the winter I've been in study and received my insurance endorsed Motorcycle Instructor license to teach new riders and one of my long time riding buddies just happens to own a school started up 2yrs ago. Win win for me. First night of instructing I look up on the classroom wall and what should be hanging there?? Turns out one of guys key in getting them set up happened to have bought a 2009 Aprilia RSV4 and got the matching jacket with it. Never fit him as he's a bit of a gym jocky. As luck would have it.......it fits me perfectly.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
^^^ Don't be, Rub... just go buy some Italian Stuff....just suggesting....
I wish. Going Japanese now :eek:...going for that "best bang for the buck" thing!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Talk about a case of fate.......so over the winter I've been in study and received my insurance endorsed Motorcycle Instructor license to teach new riders and one of my long time riding buddies just happens to own a school started up 2yrs ago. Win win for me. First night of instructing I look up on the classroom wall and what should be hanging there?? Turns out one of guys key in getting them set up happened to have bought a 2009 Aprilia RSV4 and got the matching jacket with it. Never fit him as he's a bit of a gym jocky. As luck would have it.......it fits me perfectly.

Just kidding :p...looks like an awesome jacket. Would love to have that in a full 1-piece suit!

Also, hope you're a patient guy...you'll need a LOT of it teaching beginners to ride. I'm going into my 4th year (though the 1st year I only taught a couple of times) of doing this, and I'm pretty sure with each weekend my blood pressure goes up. I always thought teaching kids/teenagers would be tough, and school teachers are amazing for putting up with that all their life, but damn!! Teaching adults how to ride motorcycles is WAY worse! lol

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was tough but very rewarding. I got to experience the various differences of students and how they pick it up as we had 17 students all together. A few had been on dirt bikes, two were getting back on after 20yr hiatus and one was doing a bucket list cross off at an advanced age. Couple of females too. We only had 3 that have to come back to try and pass the parking lot skills. All the others made it. Few had to go practice some more and come back for a 2nd attempt.

·
Registered
555 Posts

Just kidding :p...looks like an awesome jacket. Would love to have that in a full 1-piece suit!

Also, hope you're a patient guy...you'll need a LOT of it teaching beginners to ride. I'm going into my 4th year (though the 1st year I only taught a couple of times) of doing this, and I'm pretty sure with each weekend my blood pressure goes up. I always thought teaching kids/teenagers would be tough, and school teachers are amazing for putting up with that all their life, but damn!! Teaching adults how to ride motorcycles is WAY worse! lol
Idk rub, i had a master trying to teach me how to ride flat track the other day, and i know for sure i provided a good deal of entertainment for him, and his wifey too. They had the hiccups from laughing so hard. In my own defense, i only crashed like 35 times...... in 30 laps. .Good times

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
It was tough but very rewarding. I got to experience the various differences of students and how they pick it up as we had 17 students all together. A few had been on dirt bikes, two were getting back on after 20yr hiatus and one was doing a bucket list cross off at an advanced age. Couple of females too. We only had 3 that have to come back to try and pass the parking lot skills. All the others made it. Few had to go practice some more and come back for a 2nd attempt.
How many instructors per class? Here in the US, the MSF limits classes to 12 students and must have 2 instructors, unless there are 6 or less students in which case only 1 instructor is needed.

The thing that frustrates me the most is not the skill level, it's their inability to process things. It seems like once some of them get on a bike, their IQ level instantly drops by about 50. I've had grown ass adults whom I had to show and tell 5+ times "do this!...look...just like this", and they do something completely different. You tell them "stop at the cone, then go left". They don't stop at the cone and go right....there's not much I can do at that point. Like dealing with 5-year olds :ahhh: I've been trying to convince the people in charge of the program where I teach to offer the 2nd level class (where people can bring their own bikes and should already have a license), so I can teach some of that instead.

Wish I could be a track day instructor. I would enjoy that WAY more, plus free track time.

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In BC here it's 5 students per instructor. We had 4 instructors watching over things. Yes I do agree that once they got a set of handle bars in their mitts, it became a bit of a battler to keep them on the straight. I pulled a few aside to give them pointers to help out and it worked but my Instructor has been teaching both flight and motorcycle for many yrs so he was a font of knowledge in what to watch for and most common causes of some not so obvious faults.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
In BC here it's 5 students per instructor. We had 4 instructors watching over things. Yes I do agree that once they got a set of handle bars in their mitts, it became a bit of a battler to keep them on the straight. I pulled a few aside to give them pointers to help out and it worked but my Instructor has been teaching both flight and motorcycle for many yrs so he was a font of knowledge in what to watch for and most common causes of some not so obvious faults.
Yeah, it's amazing how many beginners tend to use their ring finger and pinky for braking, while still holding the grip with the index finger and sometimes the middle finger! :ahhh:...every class I have about 1-2 students that get into that habit!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts