Ducati.org forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
18,954 Posts
Update: The transfer case was acting up so that's been rebuilt. And there's a horrible drivetrain noise that can only be the rear pinion bearing since it goes away completely when I remove the rear driveshaft (which now has new Moog universal joints) and I've replaced all of the wheel bearings, carrier bearings, and rear carrier itself with a Detroit Truetrac.

I just ordered 4.56 ring and pinion sets with master install kits for both axles. Fucker is going to run strong or I'm going to die trying.:mad:
Damn dude, just buy the trailhawk! Probably cheaper!!!:stickpoke

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Oh the joy of the jeep transfer case, when I bought mine with 55K miles on it, already needed a new Tcase after 10K miles. People just don’t care about service intervals. Every 30K miles needs to have fresh fluid in it.

Good build thread btw. I enjoyed reading through all that.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Oh the joy of the jeep transfer case, when I bought mine with 55K miles on it, already needed a new Tcase after 10K miles. People just don’t care about service intervals. Every 30K miles needs to have fresh fluid in it.

Good build thread btw. I enjoyed reading through all that.
Wish I could say enjoyed all the setbacks and rebuilds as much as you enjoyed reading about them.;)

I think the key for me is when something goes tits up I use it as an excuse to upgrade... that way weak points turn into strong points and eventually my POS turns into something people look at and say "wow, that's pretty cool." The difference between me and a typical Jeeper is that they spend money replacing perfectly OK stuff while I wait until things break. Like my timing chain; at least I got a nice clock out of that after a few tack welds and some clear. I think I'll call it "time to fix the fucking Jeep." Oh, and here's my rear axle TrueTrac from a few weeks back. Little by little it's turning into a beast.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I like your style. Ride it till it breaks then fix it. I replaced my timing chain only because I was already doing a cam swap. Figured why not do some preventative stuff.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I like your style. Ride it till it breaks then fix it. I replaced my timing chain only because I was already doing a cam swap. Figured why not do some preventative stuff.
Yeah, nothing wrong with the "while it's already apart" fixes. That's why I'm going to 4.56 while the rear pinion bearing is being replaced.

My timing chain snapped on route 15 (prematurely worn cam gear was at fault). Talk about a Jeep dying quickly! I barely got over to the shoulder. New part too, 20k-ish miles since the rebuild. Machine shop said sometimes you get a bad one. Huh.:wtf:

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Back on the road and 4.56 was the right choice.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts