Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the dealer to pick up my fender eliminator and frame sliders and added Termis to the mix.

It felt like Christmas leaving Euro Cycles today!
Just got the cans on with the DB killers removed and she sounds great.

The bike has a real snarl to it now.
I'm only at 310 miles so I can't really let it loose yet.

Happy Saturday!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congrats on the new bling! Make sure that they've installed the new map on your ECU. You should see "RACE" on your dash when you turn the ignition to on.
Does the map give a substantial difference? I've got Termies on mine but with only 300 miles on the clock. The dealer said they will load the map when it goes in for the first service. What difference will it give?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll answer you the best I can.

It's not a big difference in terms of HP.

Termis and a ECU tune claim a 10% increase in HP, I was really pleased with this until I saw an article on the web that did an actual dyno test. It added like 5 or 6HP if I remember correctly, which is underwhelming, really. I'll share this here as soon as I find again.

More important that the HP numbers though, is that the tune makes your air/fuel ratio richer. This means (sorry if you already know all of this) that there's more gas in the mix that's injected into your cylinders. The opposite of a rich condition is lean, which means there's more air. Our bikes, because of emissions regulations, come from the factory in a lean condition. Once you get the ECU mapped, you'll notice your mileage go down because you are burning more fuel, you're running richer. This may also mean that you will not pass emissions testing if your country or state tests motorcycles. Mine doesn't.

When you are running an upgraded exhaust without a tune, the engine gets leaner. Traditionally this is bad for the engines as a lean engine burns hotter, is less efficient, and has increased wear and tear. This was especially true for air-cooled engines. You had to re-jet your carburetors if you changed your exhaust. But our engines are EFI, water-cooled and modern metallurgy provides us with super hard cylinder walls and pistons! So...

The only way to prove this is a reliability test. You pretty much strap on an aftermarket exhaust, leave the stock ECU and test to failure. Or non-failure, which would be reliable. The engine may be able to handle minuscule lean conditions.

Our motorcycles are so new that nobody has experienced failure with modifications. That's what these forums are for, I think. I'm thanking in advance the guy who reports that so-and-so exhaust ruined his engine.

Even though I secretly lusted after Akrapovic, this is why I still went with factory-endorsed Termis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you so much for that very informative answer. After today I only have another 150 miles before the map is uploaded and those miles will be the running in period under 6k revs. That will hopefully have little effect on the reliability and fueling at such lows revs. Over here in the UK we do not have emissions as a yearly test so that part is not a worry about failing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
so does that mean without the Termis programing of the ECU there is no way for anyone else to reprogram the fuel mixture or to do it yourself? I too am looking at getting a different exhaust from the termis but have been worried about this exact issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The stock ECU fuel control is in closed loop below 5000 RPM. Closed loop means (sorry if you already know this) that the ECU does not gather information from the O2 sensor. At above 5K, it goes into open loop. I am sure that there are ways to defeat this, as there are ECU replacement options. But the 821 engine is still fairly new, so the options are still limited.

The termi re-map still operates in closed loop, but the A/F ratio is richer to compensate for the new exhaust.

A custom tune would be awesome. Better response through the whole rev range, and your engine isn't burdened by silly things like fuel economy and emissions.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a request for aftermarket exhaust too, but the dealer here said if I get one of them, I'll be no more under warranty, so I just give it up the SC-project CRT.......maybe next time....
Meh most dealers say crap like that. Installing a slip-on can't possibly do any significant damage that will void your warranty. I think they just want you to buy Termi's from them instead ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm on 550 miles at the moment, I won't reach the 600 mark until next March sometime. It's all wrapped up in the warm for the bad winter we usually get over here.

Let us know what the difference is when the map has been applied.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.