Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Just bought my first Ducati, a 2007 1098S and wow what a bike ! Just keep smiling every time I take her out.

Rather than try and source a replacement which can cost a fortune, I'm half way through performing a dash repair to fix a cracked dash screen which the previous owner left unfixed when he sold the bike to me. It's proving to be quite a straightforward job involving removal of the outer screen housing and then drilling out the acrylic before making up a new insert and bonding together, all under a carbon outer bezel.

My question is, as this seems to be quite an emotive and frequent issue but there's a lack of practical repair instruction out there, is there enough interest in this if I were to post up pictures and a write-up ?

Treat me gently, I'm new to the forum but being very handy at modding and performing value for money repairs on my own machinery, I'm more than happy to share this with you.

Thanks for a great forum by the way.

Richard. :)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Absolutely post up a "how-to" on fixing the cracked display. I think many people would be interested in the procedure. I for one would love to know how you make the acrylic curved. It's easy to disassemble and pop out the stock piece, it's also easy to cut the new piece, but making it fit perfectly with the tapered edge and with that curve… now that's a trick! :)

Looking forward to your writeup!

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Welcome aboard Richard.

And yes - I'm sure there would be interest in your repair.

Many of us of similar orientation as regards doing our own repairs, and looking for ways to avoid silly spares prices.

Especially for plastic parts which are produced cheaply, but which cost a lot as original spares.

Plus I have a crashed 1198 I am (slowly!) bringing back to life and that has some marking on the dashboard, so I will be checking back!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Plus I have a crashed 1198 I am (slowly!) bringing back to life..
That would make a great build thread here on the forum ;)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm sure if you produce a quality result, you would be able to sell a few units here and on other Ducati forums.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine has just started to develop small cracks so would be very interested in this.

I am SW Uk too if you want mine to be a donor dash

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the positive responses guys. I'll finish the repair and post up a build-thread.

On the subject of performing a repair service, this wasn't really my intent but I'll defo look into it as there appears to be quite a few bikes suffering this fault and Ducati aren't releasing new screen halves to permit owners to put it right. It would appear that once warranty has expired, the dash OEM and Ducati absolve all responsibility in putting the dash right. Even on the occasion when they have, or owners buy a new or second hand dash, the mileage gets re-set when the dash is coded to the bike.

The fix I'm doing involves a carbon cover and is looking really good.

I've now made three curved acrylic prototype lenses at home in two different thicknesses and colors, two clear, one being a yellow acrylic which actually looks fab. The options are endless !

Spoonz - drop me a pm with your whereabouts and mobile number. We'll have a chat mate. I'd be happy to look into doing another prototype.

More to come on this guys.

Thanks.

Richard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any update Boggy, pics etc.
Yeah, sorry guys.

New born baby and lack of a pink chit from the wife has delayed proceedings.

:violin:

Should be finished within the next couple of weeks whilst the weather puts a mockers on taking the bike out. Bike in bits at the mo.

Hope everyone's had a good Xmas and looking forward to the new year.

Richard.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Yeah, sorry guys.

New born baby and lack of a pink chit from the wife has delayed proceedings.

:violin:

Should be finished within the next couple of weeks whilst the weather puts a mockers on taking the bike out. Bike in bits at the mo.

Hope everyone's had a good Xmas and looking forward to the new year.

Richard.
Come on Boggy-boy. You wouldn't have a newborn baby if she hadn't shown you the pink chit..

:laughing:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
DIY Cracked Screen / Dash Repair

Hi guys.

Apologies for the delay. Just been so busy with the new baby and I'm not talking about the two wheeled variety, our little bundle of joy has taken up most of our spare time!

Ducati DIY cracked screen repair.

When asked a few months ago, a lot of Forum Members showed interest in me offering to do a write-up of the repairs to a cracked dash that occurred on my newly acquired 2007 1098S. Not sure of the cause, I'll leave that to those who want to speculate why these things crack but suffice to say there seems to be many who have or are currently suffering cracks in the original Ducati perspex screen and Ducati aftersales either don't appear interested in fixing it outside warranty or don't wish to sell replacement screens to allow owners to replace the damaged parts themselves.

I'm now all done so here goes. Treat me gently.

Picture heavy so take to bed for bedtime reading !

Being quite practical, I've repaired the cracked screen myself with simple home tools after being put off by stupid quotes for a new dash (circa £700-£1000) or second hand dash (up to £350) along with the hassle of changing or synching / coding the ECU and changing over locks etc.

The following write up is my own work which records the stages I used. It's the easiest way I could find of doing the job on a tight budget and without making it over complicated. It's probably not to everyone's liking but hey, the result looks factory IMO.

It needs to be mentioned up front that the repair involves fitting a carbon dash cover, available for around £35 off eBay and does re-use the black outer top housing after removing the damaged clear lense which is bonded in. That, along with the 4mm acrylic sheet I used for the new screen (about £10 off eBay) and Sikaflex 221 adhesive sealant (about £8 per tube off eBay) means the total cost for this DIY repair is around £53 and it took me about 15 hrs to complete, not including the removal and refitting of the dash.

1. Shot showing original dash removed from the bike with a huge central Y shaped crack running down into the outer housing:

2. There are qty 9 off VT6 Torx type screws each with a rubber O ring holding the two dash cover halves together. These need to be removed. Very small VT6 Torx bit required:

3. Next step is to carefully remove the pcb from the upper housing. It's held in position by two small Torx screws, one either side as shown:

4. With the pcb/digi unit removed, wrap the li'l blighter up and store it in a zip lock bag safely away from humidity and extremes of temperature:

5. The crack in my screen had actually propagated right through the black outer housing so this got glued up before progressing. I also removed the aluminium Ducati Corse badge for use later on. It peeled off easily with a flat sharp knife and then I cleaned off the double sided tape from it:

6. I used a hot melt glue gun to bridge the crack on the inside surface so that I could then work on the housing without it getting too flimsy, I could probably skip this if I were doing it again:

7. I made up a cardboard template sufficient to cover the area of the screen and outer housing allowing for shift LEDs etc to still shine through then transferred this to my 4mm acrylic. The acrylic has a peel off membrane each side - DO NOT remove this as it gives scratch protection whilst the acrylic is being worked (later):

8. I made three prototypes in 3mm clear, 4mm clear and 3mm yellow fluorescent:

9. Shot of the 4mm clear, cut out and laid in the back of the carbon dash cover:

10. Next step is to heat the acrylic, still with anti scratch membranes, in an oven at 160-170 deg C for about 20 minutes to make it pliable enough to put the bezel / curve in so as to replicate the original dash. Once heated, remove from oven then quickly sandwich between original dash upper housing and new carbon cover, compress together and hold for a few minutes to cool:

11: Hey presto, curve formed in acrylic:

12. Next step is to carefully remove all the old cracked perspex screen from the upper housing without marking the inner edge of the housing (more later). Drill some holes in the screen to pass a fret saw into the perspex then cut out the plastic:

13. I used a coarse file then a Dremel with a sanding drum attachment to clear the bulk of the screen residue out of the upper housing then went on to use wet and dry sandpaper to a fine finish then a Scotchbrite / mesh pad to complete. This took the longest time to do as the inner edge will be visible when the new acrylic is bonded to the upper frame and the carbon cover is finally in place. About 5 hrs to do this:

14. Trial fit of the yellow and clear acrylic once cut, looking good so far:

15. Next step involved bonding and sealing the acrylic to the upper housing with black Sikaflex 221 adhesive sealant (messy so wore latex gloves!). Here, a thin bead of the adhesive was applied using a gun type applicator with the nozzle barely cut. I placed the acrylic on, didn't press too hard as I didn't want any to ooze out into the viewing area of the screen. I then went around the outside and applied a second thicker application which I smeared to ensure a water tight seal. Nothing getting in there !

16. Once cured, I then refitted the pcb / digi unit back into position with its two Torx screws. I checked the integrity of the thin rubber seal / gasket pressed into the lower housing and then joined both housings together using the nine Torx screws and O seals.

17. I dabbed some blobs of Sikaflex on the top and sides of the screen, well outside the viewing area and then lowered the carbon outer cover in place over the upper housing and screen, holding it all together for 24 hrs with PVC electrical tape which was removed after the adhesive had cured:

18. The last step was to re-glue the Ducati Corse badge onto the outside of the carbon cover. The finished article looks rather like it should do really except it doesn't have the sharp oblique step in the screen that my original dash had. Instead, the curve is smooth and doesn't cause a stress raiser. I won't notice this when its on the bike and am real happy with the result. A lot of work but very happy with it.

Happy to answer any questions. Fire away.

Richard.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice work. I saw you selling some Carbon on Ebay and nearly messaged you on there to ask how it was going.

I need to source myself a cracked front cover to use as a donor.

The cracks are small enough on mine to not be obvious so want to keep that to go on if I ever sell the bike. But if I continue to use it as is the cracks will grow like yours so need to have a plan B.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice work. I saw you selling some Carbon on Ebay and nearly messaged you on there to ask how it was going.

I need to source myself a cracked front cover to use as a donor.

The cracks are small enough on mine to not be obvious so want to keep that to go on if I ever sell the bike. But if I continue to use it as is the cracks will grow like yours so need to have a plan B.
Yeah, cheers mate, twas me.

Didn't like the carbon that the previous owner had put on the bike so I sold most of it, got some good prices too.

I can see you'd like to keep your original upper dash housing but have you thought about milling the perspex out and laying in a new piece yourself ? The most difficult part is shaping the right curve but its not rocket science.

Cracked upper housings will probably be difficult to get hold of, unless you go to a Ducati dealer and see if they'd be willing to let you have one next time they get one.

Whereabouts you based ? I'm near Bath.

Must meet up if its not too far to ride.

Richard.

·
Registered
346 Posts
nice job. I was thinking of doing the same thing but don't have the balls to try it without a spare bezel. How's the scratch resistance of the acrylic?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah, cheers mate, twas me.

Didn't like the carbon that the previous owner had put on the bike so I sold most of it, got some good prices too.

I can see you'd like to keep your original upper dash housing but have you thought about milling the perspex out and laying in a new piece yourself ? The most difficult part is shaping the right curve but its not rocket science.

Cracked upper housings will probably be difficult to get hold of, unless you go to a Ducati dealer and see if they'd be willing to let you have one next time they get one.

Whereabouts you based ? I'm near Bath.

Must meet up if its not too far to ride.

Richard.
I have a friend who works for a dealer in Lincoln and he is trying to source me a damaged front to play with.

Is cutting the Perspex out the only option. The old screen won't unglue with heat maybe ?

I'm North Devon, not far from Barnstaple but my bike is serviced a Louigi Moto not far from you. Not keen on the local Stealers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice job. I was thinking of doing the same thing but don't have the balls to try it without a spare bezel. How's the scratch resistance of the acrylic?
Thanks.

To work with it's ok but I can probably see needing to use a plastic scratch remover polish at frequent intervals to keep it scratch free. Got some off eBay. Time will tell. All depends on how much I touch it with gloved hands or wash it off. We'll see.

Richard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a friend who works for a dealer in Lincoln and he is trying to source me a damaged front to play with.

Is cutting the Perspex out the only option. The old screen won't unglue with heat maybe ?

I'm North Devon, not far from Barnstaple but my bike is serviced a Louigi Moto not far from you. Not keen on the local Stealers.
Ahh ! Good job.

The screen is not glued in. It appears to be injection moulded straight into the upper dash housing so I'm not sure heat would work unlike say taking the headlights apart.

Yeah, am using Richard at Louigi Moto near Marksbury for mine too. Very reputable and good pricing. Came on recommendation from a mate with an 1198SP.

Keep in touch and we'll get together over the Summer if you'd like. Fancy a ride out your way.

Richard.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts