Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm a noob here to Ducati. I recently aquired a 1997 916 and need some help...it is a little sick. Symptoms that the previous owner experienced were stalling inconsistently. He said that the fuel pumps didn't appear to be getting fuel. Now I need to sort this out. Bike needs a little TLC.
Also, how do I figure out which exact model I have and what was considered stock or OEM?
VIN: ZDM1SB8S5VB010555

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The 97' 916 was a later generation machine, but still uses the double phase stator unit (one of the biggest identifying features).

Like any old bike, the fueling system is going to need a bit of TLC. Its not difficult to do, but it will require some mechanical know-how and a bit of elbow grease. The fuel filter is located in side the tank, which will require you to remove the tank and the fuel pump plate from the bottom (after dumping the fuel out). The fuel filter used is from a BMW 2002, its very easy to get from any retail parts establishment. You will also need a new fuel pump manifold gasket, as the stock one is probably long since dead. I'd also replace all the hoses inside the tank AND outside the tank at the same time. They go bad due to ozone AND fuel sitting in them.

Once you've got all that done, then try starting it…. bet its much better. I'd also clean the injectors because the contaminated fuel brings debris into them.

In terms of discovering OEM vs aftermarket, a quick picture of the bike will allow us to determine that. Its hard to describe over the forums. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tye, below is an email from the previous owner explaining the problems.

So, the bike sat from probably aug 2014 until may 2014. it ran 'funny' since day 1. I would drive it and it would 'kinda die' during driving. It would last momentarily, then power would come back. Thought it was cause ti sat for so long and would go away in time. Well, it died at work one day and then I did the following list below. Whatever is on the odometer is how many miles I put on this year. Oil and filter were changed @ 11 miles. Valves probably need to be done (they don't make noticeable noise)

Here is what I did:
Opened gas tank. Replaced fuel pump. resealed tank. Bike would not start.

Opened gas tank. tested fuel pump with 12V circuit, worked fine. replaced fuel filter, replaced both relays on bike, replaced hoses, replaced main quick connect with hose bard, chekced wiring, checked injectors. reselaed tank and put back together. Bike would not start. BUT, I did hear the fuel pump humming for 2 seconds like the manual says I should. I disconnected hoses and it feels like the hose is sucking instead of pushing... Odd cuase I tested the pump and i could clearly feel it blowing air the right direction.

Ran bike on manual ether and gas into air intake. ran fine. Opened gas tank, inspected, found nothing totally wrong. Replaced fuel pressure regulator with like sized regulator from a 3.8L Buick.m resealed tank. Bike would not start.

Got angry and sold it to you.

So there is a baggie. inside there are 4 relays. I know that 1 is junk. The old fuel filter is in there too. It has ~2000 miles on it. The fuel pressure regulator I took off the tank is in there. I have to assume it is good yet and probably should be put back onto the tank. Then take the Buick PR back to advance auto and get $70.

Loud clutch packets are in the box. Self explanatory. Easy to change. They are very loud...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Attached is an older picture of my bike before the previous owner had his way. Scratched up pretty bad and the fairing is cracked on both sides.
I have the fairings off at the moment and it's stuffed into my garage. I'll post more picts this weekend.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
WOW what a mess…

Umm, you're gonna have to go through it step by step and be patient. There are probably more things wrong with it then the seller is willing to lead on. I'm betting its pretty screwed up and he's lied this whole time. The fueling is an easy thing to deal with, no biggie at all.

In terms of aftermarket… wheels are not stock by any means, mirrors are aftermarket as well. Exhaust LOOKS aftermarket, but I bet its just a carbon fiber wrap on the stockers or some Chinese copy of a Termi. Fairings are clearly re-painted, but who knows what they really are. Everything else looks OK.

Just a warning… cheap Ducati's can get scary, so be patient. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Picked it up for $2K so its worth some patience. :)

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
In terms of aftermarket… wheels are not stock by any means, mirrors are aftermarket as well. Exhaust LOOKS aftermarket, but I bet its just a carbon fiber wrap on the stockers or some Chinese copy of a Termi. Fairings are clearly re-painted, but who knows what they really are. Everything else looks OK.

. ;)
* wheels are polished and painted OEM aluminum wheels

* mirrors are DP billet mirrors

* exhaust looks like aftermarket cans - not OEM with a wrap.

·
Registered
192 Posts
got my 748 real cheap, motor wouldnt turn over, seller said they thought it was the starter, not! bike was wrecked and could tell by new fairing painted wrong color. turns out the rod bearing was pounded to death, probably from running on it side not getting oil. found a good 853 motor that ran great for 800. that and a few small parts that needed replacing and all was good. cheap bikes arent so bad just assume the worst possible problem and pay accordingly. i got mine for 1700, spent about another 1200 to get it on the road. so not to bad. of couse i have been upgrading so i have more in it now.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I'm no mechanic but any issues I've ever had with my 996 have been relay fuses and or fuel lines and battery. Can the computer / brain be tested ? I would think that would tell ya something.
I'm liking the colors though - hope ya get it fixed.

Ducati......of Corse

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It was. Now a NE Wisconsin bike.

Update...previous owner messed up the fuel pump plate, tank, and innards. Drilled out and half ass retapped one of the female quick disconnects on the plate. Bad job using overly large fuel lines inside the tank for vent lines and fuel outlet hose. Couldn't get the fuel pump to seal on the tank so he used some type of liquid gasket material (brown) to try and seal up the leak and a black liquid gasket material. This was all over the outside and inside the tank. Now need a new fuel pump housing and o-ring. Also, the air filters were missing...so lots lf grit in the air box. The air box is cracked but epoxyed and needs new sealing gaskets. I would bet that the injectors are also plugged up.

Where do I get parts????

Are parts microfiche available for the 97?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I'd just find an entire assembly on ebay, they're cheap enough.

Sorry to hear about your issues… Hack jobs are common with cheap bikes. :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately so...But I will have a sweet 916 when I'm done to complement my other pony's!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's a reasonable price for an entire set? I've found for$170-200 on ebay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's with the pump motor, filter etc.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
That's with the pump motor, filter etc.
Yea, but its used. So you'd basically be buying a metal plate and some wiring, thats it. You'd still have to source a pump, hoses and the filter. The pump model number can easily be cross referenced to a FIAT part, which is cheap and the filter is from a BMW 2002.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I hope this is of some use to you. I bought this a while back for a friend. No point you spending money on it. ( Ducati no longer carry these manuals in their download archive )

Had to use an outside link. Forum considers an 80mb pdf file too large to add to a post as an attachment.

removed

1 - 20 of 41 Posts