Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my CM three years ago, but couldn't afford the insurance on a bike. I just checked again and now I can. My boss has a 2005 749 Dark with 10,XXX miles and is asking $3000 Just wondering if yall think that is a fair price as I am new to the market of Ducati. I am also a complete greenhorn when it comes to bikes as I spend all of my time on my Jeep.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Ask for service records for the bike to see when was the last time he did a belt change, valve maintenance...carefully and thoroughly inspect the rearset tabs to see if they are replaced or cracked/bent--crashed bike..original bodywork is a must as well.
$3k is fair/cheap side but as if the bike wasn't wrecked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do, thanks. Valves were done in 2012 and hasn't put many miles on it since then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Located in TX. This ok for a first bike with limited experience or should I just get a 250 Kawi?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
A little weird that it doesn't have any sticker on it...they came with clear coat over the Ducati/model designation
Found a picture for ya to compare.
The bike with stock unwrecked body work should have the front fins as such

Attachments

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
A little weird that it doesn't have any sticker on it...they came with clear coat over the Ducati/model designation
Found a picture for ya to compare.
The bike with stock unwrecked body work should have the front fins as such
Yeah, no decals is a bad sign. Unless it's a track bike.

Hopefully it's been discussed.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
^ signs of wrecked since original bodywork did not match..also if you look closely at the pic i posted, the bike you were looking at is missing both front side fins..also, the bike is supposed to have 2-piece belly side fairing vs only one solid piece like the one for sale
It sounds really discouraging from me but i hate seeing new rider getting ripped off by shitty sellers.
Valves were done in 2012, but were the belts replaced, and I already do not trust the missing front fins and replaced with so-called body sliders.
For $3000 you could get a used honda cbr250 or kawi300 as a started bike like you said to learn. A lot cheaper to maintain as well vs the old ducatis.
But it's up to you..if it's a good deal to you then by all means, plus it's your money lol.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ signs of wrecked since original bodywork did not match..also if you look closely at the pic i posted, the bike you were looking at is missing both front side fins..also, the bike is supposed to have 2-piece belly side fairing vs only one solid piece like the one for sale
It sounds really discouraging from me but i hate seeing new rider getting ripped off by shitty sellers.
Valves were done in 2012, but were the belts replaced, and I already do not trust the missing front fins and replaced with so-called body sliders.
For $3000 you could get a used honda cbr250 or kawi300 as a started bike like you said to learn. A lot cheaper to maintain as well vs the old ducatis.
But it's up to you..if it's a good deal to you then by all means, plus it's your money lol.
Good luck.
Thanks for the help, sounds like I'm probably going to shoot for a different bike.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Thanks for the help, sounds like I'm probably going to shoot for a different bike.
Good luck and stick around
Make sure you ride with full gears no matter what and learn slowly..then hit the local trackdays and you'll love the sports.
Cheers..Stick around this forum to learn, in case some day you'll get comfy and start to get bigger bike or Ducatis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good luck and stick around
Make sure you ride with full gears no matter what and learn slowly..then hit the local trackdays and you'll love the sports.
Cheers..Stick around this forum to learn, in case some day you'll get comfy and start to get bigger bike or Ducatis.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out on this forum. Just noticed you're near me. SW Fort Worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts