Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Anyone and Everyone:

I just recently arrived in Osaka, Japan. I'm also new to this forum; however, I thought I would introduce myself and see if there was anyone nearby me. My apologies if there is already a welcome thread for Japan. Just point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i guess i am your welcoming party.

What brings you to Japan? Oh and welcome aboard too. just thought I would say hello even though I am on the other side of the planet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. I moved to Japan because an opportunity came up and I thought while I'm still young enough to travel, I might as well. I'll be in Japan for 1 year at least to see how I like the country. I may stay longer if things remain lucrative. Prior to here, I lived in Philadelphia and then D.C.. Right now I'm just trying to get my drivers and motorcycle license sorted. Apparently, you just can't convert a U.S. license here without going through a traffic law test and skills confirmation practical. I think it has something to do with driving on the different side the road. Anyway, it will take me a month or two and then I'll have to start considering what bike to get. Imported bikes are really expensive here (actually, everything is really expensive here).

·
Registered
203 Posts
again welcome

well hopefully you breeze through the driving tests. I spent a little time in many of the asain countries while in the Navy. Very different culture and what have you. I am a troubleman for an electric utility around chicago and heard you could make big money working in Japan now but have too much going on here. well keep us posted on your bike purchase and experience in Japan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Past License Conversion Test

Just managed to pass my license conversion test yesterday. I now have a license for ogata motorbikes (400cc and up) and manual transmission cars. The car test took me 2 tries and the bike took 3 tries. I took the test at kadoma testing center in osaka prefecture. If anyone is interested in getting their foreign license converted at this center, I can provide you with notes to make it a little easier for you. I have a course map with all the riding challenges mapped out. I also have notes regarding what gears to use when, how to look / check (kakunin) for traffic and hazards and what techniques are best for each obstacle. Feel free to pm me if you think this can help you.

Cheers.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Welcome aboard (abroad? :) ) osprey!

well hopefully you breeze through the driving tests. I spent a little time in many of the asain countries while in the Navy. Very different culture and what have you. I am a troubleman for an electric utility around chicago and heard you could make big money working in Japan now but have too much going on here. well keep us posted on your bike purchase and experience in Japan.
Nice to see another lineman around here too

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Ohayo
Tests are a bitch in Japan...very robotic ticks in box
Congrats
Kampai

1 - 7 of 7 Posts