Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new and about to buy a new toy for weekend runs and occasional track days. Have had Jap IL4 litre bikes before but always wanted a Duc. Trying to choose between 07 1098 Tri, 11 1198SP, and 12 1199 ABS, all within a couple of grand, what would you choose?
Any help appreciated? Cheers

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Hi there, and welcome aboard.

Nice choice you have there. You will get a lot of support on here for buying any of the above.

But you may also get some telling you to stay away from Ducati sports bikes for the road.

Not me - I love them as a road bike. They have a fairly 'committed' ride position, but when you get used to it, and the speeds get up, it is so RIGHT.

The later bike will usually hold its value better, but there can be exceptions. I am a very happy owner of an '07 1098S, and can recommend this model, which I still love seven years later.

However, an 1198SP for not-too-much-more would have to be worth the extra $$.

The 1199 Panigale is a rather different animal, and you really need to test ride these alternatives to see which one suits you best.

But on the face of it, the SP sounds like the highest-spec of the three. The 1X98s have a more extreme riding position, and awesome grunt at low revs.

The Panigale has a more 'ergonomic' position, and an engine tuned more for revs. But it needs more dismantling to service, so it depends on how long you intend to own it for, and how much work you intend doing yourself.

My personal recommendation of these three would be the 1198SP.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Better to 1st decide what bike you want. I would go the SP as you get the last big balls superbike with a frame and some extra features and refinements. The bigger tank would be nice as mine only gets about 120km till the light.

·
Court Jester
11,819 Posts
Welcome aboard, find something in your price range she will pick you! I wouldn't discount the 848 either but I'm bias :)

Post up some pics when you get her.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I'd go with the SP. It's the last and best of the classic trellis frame, dry clutch, Testastretta powered Ducatis.

The 1199 is also a great bike (and faster) but IMO it's missing something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, missed the SP I was after so just taking my time to get something special (to me) will let you know when I join the ducati club:)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Wishing you the best in your selection my friend.
Always take into account the bike that physically fits you best and your riding competency, your financial status, and what attracts you most! DO NOT go by what anyone tells you to get here or anywhere else bro. Its YOUR bike and YOUR purchase!

You have some good prospects here and wish you the best my man! Sorry you are OCONUS or Id be more able to assist you on the buy. :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts