Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been riding motorcycles for 50 years and am just getting ready to retire. I have several motorcycles now, but, no Ducati. A fellow worker has a 2000 996 with low miles and a recent service. Is this something that is reliable, it would not be a daily ride, just something to go fast with. Thanks

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Ducati superbikes are great for going fast in the twisties and on the track. Owning a "classic" superbike is a lot of fun and recommend for any true enthusiast.

However...

I'd personally recommend finding a 998 vs 996.

Ducati made an all new motor for the 998 and it solves much of their older desmoquattro reliability issues. Other then that, both bikes look the same outside of the cooling pockets in the fairing. So, I'd just spend the extra dough and find a good used 998. There are three generations, the FE being the best.

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
Welcome to the forum Velt. If the bike stirs your soul, get it and have fun. I had a '99 996 and it put a mile on my face every time I rode it, be it street or track.

As Tye mentioned, it's an older model, so you will have some things to learn about that bike and it's subsequent fixes, but they are pretty easy to fix nowadays.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.