Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an '09 1198s with about 6k miles on it a couple weeks ago. It's a beaut of a bike, and so far I like it more than my 848, though I've put less than 100 miles on it. It has a full 70mm Leo Vince exhaust, 48t Ducabike slipper, Oberon slave, Microtec ECU, a euro starter switch, and some other goodies.

A couple issues I've noticed (not including the fuel leak onto the rear exhaust header I traced to a faulty o ring on a fuel line under the tank)... When idling at a stop light after riding a bit, sometimes the revs will drop very low... They'll bottom out around 1200 or so before picking back up. It'll do this intermittently. Sometimes they'll get so low that the bike will stall if I don't give it a little gas.

Which brings me to my next issue. The bike so far will fire right up initially. However after idling for a while or if it stalls, or the other day I rode to get my COVID shot and after leaving the hospital, the bike will not start. And not talking chugga chugga chugga... I mean I turn the key and the lights and fuel pump will cycle and I'll hit the starter aaaaaand nothing. No clicks, not turning over.... Nothing.

Sooooooooo, any idea on these issues? I bought a new set of spark plugs which I'm going to throw in, and a fella on one of the fb pages I belong to suggested replacing the crank timing sensor (which he is sending me one he had laying around free of charge (Awesome guy). I also have a used starter switch on its way, though it's a non euro unit and I'd hate to ditch mine if I didn't have to. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you bring this up with the seller? He never mentioned anything?
I spoke with him, and he felt bad about the issues. Said the fuel connectors were new, and offered to send me 2 brand new ones, however it was just an o ring so no biggie.

He said he never had any starting issues, but sent me the wiring diagram on the euro switch. I have to get under the tank to replace the spark plug, so I'll check the wiring on the switch just in case I knocked something loose while I'm under there

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not familiar with the 1198s but very familiar with wiring a bike. Starting from the simpest solution If the starter wouldn't engage at all.

Bike in neutral? If not, clutch in? If it wasnt in neutral but clutch in, I'd check the clutch starter safety.

If it was in neutral and no start, try again with the clutch in, if it starts check the neutral safety switch.

Check the side stand safety if it has one also, if that has a bad connection or the switch is failing, that could stop it from starting if it thinks the stand is down while in gear.

Lastly, is the starter switch loose at all? Can you jostle is while pressing it? If you can and you can hear the start turn, the it's a faulty starter switch likely.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not familiar with the 1198s but very familiar with wiring a bike. Starting from the simpest solution If the starter wouldn't engage at all.

Bike in neutral? If not, clutch in? If it wasnt in neutral but clutch in, I'd check the clutch starter safety.

If it was in neutral and no start, try again with the clutch in, if it starts check the neutral safety switch.

Check the side stand safety if it has one also, if that has a bad connection or the switch is failing, that could stop it from starting if it thinks the stand is down while in gear.

Lastly, is the starter switch loose at all? Can you jostle is while pressing it? If you can and you can hear the start turn, the it's a faulty starter switch likely.

All great info. I dug into a bit of the wormhole this past weekend (you know how it goes... Started with some Seafoam in the tank, which led to replacing the horizontal spark plug, which led to removing the tank and replacing the vertical spark plug, which lead to installing the BMC filter I had laying there, which led to the starter wiring 🙄). As said , it has a euro switch which has an orange wire coming off of it leading to... I'm not really sure, I hadn't looked at the wiring diagram at that point. The connector that was on it looked a little shoddy with some bare wire hanging out of it. I cut it off and wired up a new connector, and haven't had that issue since. However, I also haven't had the time to ride at all, but several warm ups/shut offs/restarts later and the problem hasn't come back so I'm really hoping that took care of it.

Having not ridden it, I'm not sure if the minor tune up has addressed the idle issue or not. Hoping to get out a little this week. An excellent fellow from one of my Ducati Facebook groups is sending me a crankshaft timing sensor, so if the problem is still there, I'll be installing that next

·
Registered
39 Posts
(y) I'd put money on it being the bad connector. Glad you had an easy fix for that and didn't have to dig into the wiring diagram, those are not fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts