Ducati.org forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Guess I should really update to get this thread to the current state of progress…..or lack there of.

It has been many months now, but here’s what’s been going on:

Before I get into project stuff, some personal stuff that has had an impact on progress. Back in ‘19 I started a new job. One not related at all to the career I’d worked in when I began this thread.

That has impacted my garage workshop time in a way I hadn’t anticipated. I’m one person deep in my job so time off is far more difficult to come by. Along with that, I previously worked a schedule that allowed for an extra day off, every other week.

Between those two things I haven’t made the kind of progress I’d like and things have slowed greatly. I have made some progress though and this is where things currently stand:

I installed the wiring harness temporarily as well as the carbs, new plugs and plug wires. After connecting a battery and turning the engine over, I noted that starter sprag did not engage intermittently.

I hooked up a remote fuel tank and finally got the engine to fire off. Seemed like it didn’t want to stay running, like it was starving for fuel. I presume that is related to insufficient fuel pressure to the carbs.

After that initial start up, the starter sprag seemed uninterested in continuing with the program. I was able to replace it with a KTM/Husqvarna sprag sourced from an eBay storefront. Once I pulled the alternator cover and replaced the sprag I tested the the new one, and it seems to engage consistently.

I’ve since replaced the heavy, old AGM battery with a new Shorai. Scored a set of rear sets from eBay. They’re modified OEM rear sets with aftermarket pegs. That’s pretty much it with regard to mechanical parts/progress.

Gas Electronic device Audio equipment Font Electronic instrument

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust

I got new bodywork from Airtech some time ago but I’ve concluded the body work that came with the bike was worth saving.

It’s in really rough shape, and needs extensive repair work before cosmetic restoration can begin. However, all of it is OEM Ducati complete with part numbers.

I’ve been slowly, and I mean slowly getting after removing all the poorly executed previous attempts to repair the damage. Some so poorly done that they failed before I ever even took possession of this project.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Here’s some pics of the poorly executed “repairs” to the body work:
Lip Automotive lighting Hood Helmet Automotive design

That’s Fiberglas reinforced filler packed in about 1/2 to 3/4” deep to fix a crack. One that could have been fixed with far less filler and some proper fiberglass and epoxy resin.
Plant Flower Automotive tire Automotive lighting Petal

More of the same piece. Also, more packed in fiberglass reinforced filler. Royal pain the behind to remove without resorting to a grinder.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Fluid Tints and shades

The front side of that, complete with crack.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive mirror

And a profile view to show how thick the filler was piled on. The filler wasn’t even completely cured and a scraper dug out this “repair” to the point seen above.
Pink Magenta Geological phenomenon Wood Pattern

The backside after chipping out a bunch of the reinforced filler. I’ve already applied a fiberglass patch to bridge the crack using a mesh tape and epoxy resin to form a base for the rest of the glass repair. More later with more pics

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It’s understandable and you’ve got further than I would have, or more honestly…. Have.. getting and replacing coils on The Boss’ monster.. 3 years ago.

but you’ll need new belts soon.

carbs usually run with less than 2 1/2 psi pressure. So I would have thought gravity would have worked.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I’d have thought so too…..but I came up with that theory based on how it struggled to run without application of more throttle than I figure it should take.

Some more pics of the amateur hour repair work on the body:

Automotive lighting Liquid Human body Insect Fluid

This is just below the area I’ve been writing about. Not sure but I think this is an entire tube of RTV. It took a razor blade and about a minute and a half and all of it just came out.
Tire Shoe Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Underneath I found what is best described as a spiderweb of cracks. So far, I’ve stop drilled the ends of the major cracks. Once the epoxy resin sets up on the other repairs, I’ll grind things back and V groove those. Then lay down some fiberglass to stabilize the area.

I did manage to get all that fiberglass reinforced filler out:
Tape measure Ruler Wood Office ruler Rectangle

Tape measure for some idea of scale.
I wound up using a wood rasp to cut through the semi-cured filler on the outside of the panel:
Shoe Motor vehicle Bicycle part Font Gas

This is where the filler was built up 1/4” high but not fully cured. The wood rasp made short work of the semi soft filler. More to follow on that.

Wood Plant Tree Natural material Twig

Also used the rasp to take down reinforced filler around the crack at the side scoop. Stabilized the crack with the fiberglass mesh and epoxy resin.
Rectangle Paint Material property Art Tints and shades

More to follow once the resin sets up good and I can grind out the rest of the filler from the back side.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I would have ‘plastic welded’ it with a soldering iron first. But the PO really stuffed it up hey.?
The running thing just feels wrong to say not enough fuel or pressure to idle but ok when you use more throttle.
That just seems arse about. Should starve on throttle.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
If it were ABS I’d have gone the plastic weld route. As it’s FRP, fiberglass and epoxy resin is a better option. I use marine grade epoxy so a far more durable repair. A damn sight better than it had at any rate.

Reactions: Neils400

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Thanks for posting that pic of the Shorai. Now to get one for my 97 900SS.
No problem! I’ve not ridden mine as yet but have been told it’s like riding with a half tank of fuel. That’s how much lighter it is with a full tank.

Reactions: pahhhoul

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
That’s the only way to do the later model SS in my opinion. Irony that is not lost on me.

My preference for the older gen is the full fairing as the “CR” just looks incomplete to me.

The newer gen I prefer the 1/2 fairing as it looks sleek and purposeful to me.

The full fairing on the newer gen looks overly complex and busy to my eyes.

If I ever find a newer gen in my hands, I’d like to turn it out like that….only in black.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts