Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just figured I would document my rebuild of a salvage title Desmo I just picked up. I have always wanted one but couldn't justify it when they first came out, let alone I was 21 at the time. Last year I left MotoWheels to pursue manufacturing full time, then this bike comes up at auction. With the disposal of a couple mills and lathes I should get this thing back up to speed and fix some of the problems that made this D16RR a one and done crash machine.

The sole purpose of me purchasing this bike is to ride it and attend track days on the west coast, I need this bike to be able to take a minor low side and not end my day because we all know cold tires can happen.

Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the back story of the bike is it was low sided on the left side.

Damage from a low side under 55 mph is as follows:
-Stator Cover
-Stator
-Magneto
-All bodywork except tank
-Shifter & Foot peg
-Front Axle & Front Axle Nut
-Front fork has small abrasion mark
-Swingarm has small abrasion and ripped off spool hole
-Left mirror

Seems like a set of frame sliders & fork sliders would have saved $70,000 + in damage... those are first on the list.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plan as of this moment:

-Design and machine a stator cover that can take a crash (the OEM cover is $2700.00 and will fail again)

-Source a stator and magneto that aren't $900.00 from Ducati

-Design and machine a reverse shifter (with quick shift sensor provision)

-Design and machine a set of frame sliders and axle sliders

-Design and manufacture a license plate holder that doesn't have the ugly reflectors on it (no I'm not going to just cut them off)

-Buy CRC bodywork in both street and race and ride the damn thing.

If anyone has any other R&D parts or complaints let me know and I will look into it while it is torn apart.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Welcome to the salvage title track bike club!

Just a half hour ago I was pricing some carbon/kevlar cloth to see about making a set of molded engine case/cover guards.

One R&D item that's been kicked around here is a set of adjustable rear sets. You can see that the big NC machined peg brackets are vulnerable. I've played with modeling up a set but the shape is fairly complex. A 3-D scan would be quicker. My idea would be to use standard Vortex pegs, levers and bearings so replacements are readily available.

I look forward to your progress.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NC machine no problem, other than the pegs being flimsy (the rear set mounts are just so darn long) my rearsets survived well other than the shifter, I'm going to make a replaceable toe peg shifter and the footpegs are replacable from dozens of manufacturers, the seating position wasn't horrible for me but I haven't made it run yet so that may change once I have some seat time.

Machine Toolroom Electronics Room Technology

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nick,

Looks like a nice project bike and lots of fun!

Any interest in machining vents in the stock clutch cover like this?

Should be a simple job for the CNC.

Always good to have a Desmo savy machinist around!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
WOW Nick, great stuff! I'm glad you've moved on into bigger and better things! :)

Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Okay so I had a couple minutes to finish the sketch on the reverse shifter, its currently being 3D printed then I will be able to fit check everything accordingly. Hopefully will start milling this next week. I also have some parts for this I'm going to be making for Speeydmoto, stay tuned =)

Text Font 3d modeling Screenshot Graphics software

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay the license plate backing plate is done as well, will pick it up from the laser cutter next week, figured it would be clean with the logo on it. This was just a quick piece to get rid of the huge reflectors on the bike.

Text Font Screenshot Graphics software Line

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nick,
Looks like the Desmo is in very good hands. Great that you're rebuilding it. I'd be interested in seeing the stator/generator cover once you've designed and built it. The OEM version, as you've seen, isn't that robust.
I had a low-slide on the LHS as well a couple of years back on the track. Fortunately, I had after-market bodywork and sliders on the wheels, but not the frame. The repair bill was light -- the surgery bill for my left hand was another matter!
The stator cover was ground down but fortunately not to the point of failing. So I'm still using it. I've been trying to source for a replacement and have been hunting around for a second-hand OEM cover but to no avail. I could shell out US$2,700 for a new one from Ducati but that just seems too rich.
Will be watching your postings and testing with much interest.

Chz
Fogs

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shifter is back from 3D print, will test fit it when I get home tonight, should work quite well though.

Anyone else want a direct reverse shifter for a D16RR (it gets rid of all the linkage and uses a replacement toe peg so you wont get stranded at a track day (same eccentric toe pegs as most rear set manufacturers)

I'm either going to run one for my self and can run a couple extra, just let me know.

Cutting tool Tool

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nick,
Looks like the Desmo is in very good hands. Great that you're rebuilding it. I'd be interested in seeing the stator/generator cover once you've designed and built it. The OEM version, as you've seen, isn't that robust.
I had a low-slide on the LHS as well a couple of years back on the track. Fortunately, I had after-market bodywork and sliders on the wheels, but not the frame. The repair bill was light -- the surgery bill for my left hand was another matter!
The stator cover was ground down but fortunately not to the point of failing. So I'm still using it. I've been trying to source for a replacement and have been hunting around for a second-hand OEM cover but to no avail. I could shell out US$2,700 for a new one from Ducati but that just seems too rich.
Will be watching your postings and testing with much interest.

Chz
Fogs
I'm waiting for a friend to let me use there CMM to measure all the coordinates, but I'm definitely making a stator cover because OEM is crazy expensive and they are paper thin, and when it does go through it destroys a 900.00 charging system too...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm still in shock that a simple low side caused the bike to be totaled. Congratulations on an exceptional find!!! How did owner not think to buy it back from insurance? Craziness.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm still in shock that a simple low side caused the bike to be totaled. Congratulations on an exceptional find!!! How did owner not think to buy it back from insurance? Craziness.
That pic in my garage is deceiving, the entire other side bodywork is toast, the swingarm is scratched, the stator cover broke and it ground down the stator and magneto.. Etc etc...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As a machinist for quite some time my success with easy outs seem to be around 50% on the first attempt, thank goodness that I was able to get the sheared bolt out on the first attempt

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Frame Slider design is done now I just need the material to show up so I can get it chucked in the lathe and gets these guys running. This slider design uses all existing parts from Speedymoto already (so its great if I need replacements down the road) the only proprietary part is the actual (engine bolt replacement) which is made of aerospace grade 17-4 SS which is stronger than the OEM steel bolt.

Text Line Font Screenshot

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Big props to Mike @ Gotham Cycles I did some research on the denso magneto number and its compatability with the d16rr, not according to Ducati or any "technicians" but after bugging mike to verify denso numbers on the parts he had instock versus what I had damaged I now have a $150.00 stator and magneto assembly, that's a bargain compared to Ducati wanting $900+ and everyone claiming its "unique" to the d16rr only and "backordered"

The stator and magneto from a 2003-2006 Ducati 749 / 999 are the same (flywheel is different but magneto and stator are the same.)

Hopefully this helps someone down the road because if the bike crashes on the left side without frame sliders the stator cover, stator, and magneto will all need replaced and between the three parts alone it is $3600.00

Auto part Engine Disc brake Rim Wheel

1 - 20 of 49 Posts