Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post but excited to be part of the community. Please forgive all my past Suzuki mingling and accept me as an enthused entrant into these realms.

I just (6.5 hrs. ago) bought a 2006 ST3S ABS, DP CF cans, DP ECU, Red, 6,000 miles, all original keys, manuals, but no key card (not sure if this came with one??) for $4k. However, it turns over but does not start or fire. ENGINE PRODUCES SPARK!

The PO (Also original buyer) said it sat in his garage for 3 years. He then started it up (with old gas), rode about 15 mins. and turned the bike off. Shortly thereafter, it wouldn't start.

THE IMMO INDICATOR BLINKS, WITH THE KEY IN OR OUT! Also, when the key is turned ON it blinks 3 times in succession. I believe the problem lies in some programming thing-a-majiggy, (or the ECU is fried) and I need some help from you Duc experts out there PLEASE!!

Here's what happens:

Insert key, red or black, turn to on. Dash lights cycle, fuel pump pressurizes, etc.

Push start button, engine turns over nicely, has spark (tested) but will not start, or even fire briefly.

I've checked kill switch, kick stand, pretty sure it wouldn't turn over if fault was there, based on previous motorcycles owned.

I've read through the IMMO disable procedure in my Owner's Manual. When I try the throttle twist disable procedure the EOBD light does not turn on or off like the manual says it will.

I believe I'm missing something fairly simple, or the ECU is fried, or I got screwed on my "deal".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also...

I've done A LOT of searching for possible issues over the past couple of hours and have not found anything that helps.

I apologize if this is a common issue with a common solution, I openly admit I am a Ducati NOOB!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You mentioned you were getting spark; are you getting fuel as well? Even though your fuel pump is operating it may be worth checking your fuel filter. Could be the PO's short ride drew sediment from the tank and clogged the filter. Three year old fuel could easily have caused a problem. Worth removing the tank and its' internals (fuel pump, filter etc), inspect and clean and install a new a fuel filter. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
My first step would be to replace the spark plugs.
When the previous owner ran it with old fuel he may have affected them.
New fuel (replacing the fuel filter wouldn't hurt) and new plugs and try again.
Let us know how you go.
And welcome aboard. Once this is sorted you will be able to enjoy what we rave about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts