Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just bought my first ducati, 2008 848. so far i gotta say this thing is freaking awesome. definetley dont see myself going back to inlines 4's anytime soon. but any way the reason why ive made this thread is that im stuck between either getting a graves slip on exhaust or the Bazzaz Z-FI TC system...i was hoping i could get some input on which would be more beneficial for my bike but not too much of a hit on my wallet, my bikes completely stock with 13k

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input, you wouldnt happen to know if just running the TC will just auto tune like a simple plug/play or will i still have to take it to a shop and get it tuned?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I remember my first few miles on my first 848.

My recommendation is to spend your first few investments on trackdays. Youll be a changed man...

Have your bike saftey checked and the suspension sag setup for your bodyweight and get to the track. Thjs is where these bikes sing. Ive had two 848's and an 1198, all have been on track at some point. My 1198 will not see the track again however ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Save up for an Akrapovic, thought I saw a used one on the forum for $700 recently. They sound the best😉

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
Are you going to track the bike......if not, the Graves sound and look awesome. Much lighter than the stock cans. If you're going to track the bike, A&R baffle kit for the mufflers and the Bazzaz goodies. The Bazzaz TC system is fairly easy to set up and you can tune it during practice sessions.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I too have been looking at the bazaaz as well as other exhaust options.
My final, well I say that til I change my mind is to get the slipper clutch first, then I'll get a TC/QS. Once you start riding it hard you will notice the back wheel skip and that slipper will be the better bet.
In the meantime I cut the cats out of stock cans and I'm happy with that...

And do as stated above, track days and get your suspension tuned to you

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not to go off topic, for a while I wanted the slipper clutch. Looked at both wet and dry and I put it at the bottom of my list. When I started riding hard the one thing I noticed is that I actually like the back wheel to slip out on downshift. Since it wants to drift outside I found it does a lot of my apex work for me quicker and I come out of corners quicker and tighter becuase of it. But I spend my time on the streets which is how I've modded my bike to suit.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
When I started riding hard the one thing I noticed is that I actually like the back wheel to slip out on downshift. Since it wants to drift outside I found it does a lot of my apex work for me quicker and I come out of corners quicker and tighter becuase of it. But I spend my time on the streets which is how I've modded my bike to suit.
If you're using your clutch and engine braking to "slide" the rear wheel, it's only a matter of time before you find yourself in the dirt. On the street as you've mentioned, it's going to be curbs and cars and a painful lesson. I'd strongly suggest learning how to use the brakes, keep the tires in grip on the road and turn the bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you're using your clutch and engine braking to "slide" the rear wheel, it's only a matter of time before you find yourself in the dirt. On the street as you've mentioned, it's going to be curbs and cars and a painful lesson. I'd strongly suggest learning how to use the brakes, keep the tires in grip on the road and turn the bike.
I know how to properly do it. I can understand looking at what I wrote it would sound differently. I meant that I took a flaw and tried to turn it into an adaptation. I didn't intend for it to sound like I try to ride a street bike like it's dirt.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It really sounds like you are backing it in on the street. That is just asking to get hurt.

The Bazzaz will need to be tuned to get the most out of it. You can use an autotune which are not bad but I am not quite sure about the Bazzaz one. Pretty sure you have to activate it then go back and apply the changes. It does no type of live tuning.

I say track but if not do A&R baffles with a Bazzaz ZFI and a custom tune. You can get the TC if you want but honestly I do not think it is needed. This is the first bike I have had with TC and I barely ever engage it. Probably because I keep it turned so low.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated. i can already tell this is going to be one hell of a learning curve for me but its gonna be an awesome challenge, unfortunatley i dont see myself doing tracks mainly becuase i dont know of any that are even nearby. the dealer that i bought the bike from says they do track days but ive been trying to find more info on that. so for the time being ill just be cruising around and enjoyin scenery. but as far as the upgrades go i managed to get a bazzaz unit for a relatively cheap price. next i plan on doing suspension and exhaust. still would like to stick with the graves slip on's but im definetly gonna have to do more research on the suspension because ive never really gotten this into my bike before...and hopefully get a new seat. this stock one kinda sucks

·
Registered
322 Posts
Where about a in the world are you? I'm fortunate to have multiple tracks within a few hours but even if it's a haul it's totally worth it. And if you do it with the right organization you will learn so much about the bike and riding.

Hang around here too much and your bike will become your LIFE. And end up like the rest of us here drooling over each others mods track stories

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha yea i hear ya, im from rhode island. even before i got this bike ive spent the past couple of months just reading through the posts. ive learnt alot but that wont mean anything until i can actually get out and ride

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you are under 200 lbs, get the spring changed out first and formost. My philosophy is this upgrade is mandatory and should be done so the bike actually handles better for your weight. After that, add your touches to it.
I vote for Akra but that's me.
As for track days, they are like group rides with way more dipshits letting their egos twist the throttle instead of their level of experience and knowledge. I hate group rides but again, thats me. Just do your thing and get miles under your belt. If you really care about getting better, take a course. This will help with insurance anyways. Track days don't.
Track gods responding venomously in 1, 2......

Enjoy the bike and welcome. And hell no you aren't going back to inline 4s!

hey guys just bought my first ducati, 2008 848. so far i gotta say this thing is freaking awesome. definetley dont see myself going back to inlines 4's anytime soon. but any way the reason why ive made this thread is that im stuck between either getting a graves slip on exhaust or the Bazzaz Z-FI TC system...i was hoping i could get some input on which would be more beneficial for my bike but not too much of a hit on my wallet, my bikes completely stock with 13k

·
Registered
322 Posts

You son of a bi....

To each their own.if you can find some nice twisties that you can be comfortable to open up on go ahead. I always recommend the track because it's a great place to learn especially with quality instruction.

You know, just go ride. The bike doesn't need anything but to be driven.
Enjoy and welcome

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
If you are under 200 lbs, get the spring changed out first and formost. My philosophy is this upgrade is mandatory and should be done so the bike actually handles better for your weight. After that, add your touches to it.

I vote for Akra but that's me.

As for track days, they are like group rides with way more dipshits letting their egos twist the throttle instead of their level of experience and knowledge. I hate group rides but again, thats me. Just do your thing and get miles under your belt. If you really care about getting better, take a course. This will help with insurance anyways. Track days don't.

Enjoy the bike and welcome. And hell no you aren't going back to inline 4s!

Track days with instruction

/fixed

·
Registered
101 Posts
True story and guys I'm just hatin cuz I'm sick of the snow and my 848 is just sitting under a cover! I would take a track day right now for sure!

You son of a bi....

To each their own.if you can find some nice twisties that you can be comfortable to open up on go ahead. I always recommend the track because it's a great place to learn especially with quality instruction.

You know, just go ride. The bike doesn't need anything but to be driven.
Enjoy and welcome

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
True story and guys I'm just hatin cuz I'm sick of the snow and my 848 is just sitting under a cover! I would take a track day right now for sure!

I think most of us in the northern hemisphere are in the same boat. Even if it was riding weather she's sitting on the stand waiting for new upgrades.

Reactions: mcriswell
1 - 20 of 23 Posts