Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't posted here in a long time on the forum and would like to ask the members for their opinion on a dilemma I am facing. I purchased a Desmo (#194/1500) back in March of 2014. The bike has had all the updates including a complete rebuild with all problem areas corrected. In looking back, I wasn't quite prepared for the extreme nature of the bike along with other family issues going on including selling my house and moving to a new city. I put it up for sale and I believe it may have been discussed here on this forum. Now life has settled down and I am thinking of keeping it. I was reading through some of the posts here and I think I have a better understanding of living with a bike with so many limitations. It is a bike with such a unique place in Ducati history and quite special as I don't think any other bike of it's kind will ever be made again. I have been riding for over 25 years and have had 8 Ducatis starting with a 900 SS in '96 to my current 2010 Streetfighter S and the Desmo. I have no plans to track it at this point but I do intend to use it quite often on my usual early Sunday morning runs on the freeway to my favorite mountain roads. I just wanted to get your thoughts in keeping it and as a way to re- introduce myself to the members. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I would keep it bc I doubt Ducati will never make another one. Values will go up and/or you iwn a piece of history.
Welcome back and congrats on getting stuff back in order.
Ride safe

·
Registered
87 Posts
In my opinion is it the last real riders Ducati ever made. It has no electronic riders aids, only a real throttle cable opening mechanical throttle bodies. No ABS, traction control, etc.
It is not a bike that a novice rider can just hop on and go fast.
It doesn't suffer fools lightly.

It is also very much a handmade piece of art. All of the panels are carbon fiber. the machining on it is a thing of beauty. You can just sit and look at it for hours.

I don't think that Ducati or any other manufacturer will ever be able to build a bike like it in the future. Emissions, safety and noise regulations have made this impossible. Yes Honda supposedly has their street MotoGP bike, but you will probably never see one on the road.

I have an old Ducati F1b, which feels like a racebike on the street. My Desmosedici is the modern version of that with more than three times the horsepower. You cannot begin to explore the capabilities of this bike on the street. You need a racetrack, as it is literally a MotoGP bike with lights and a horn.

Even though Ducati made a fair amount of them, they are going to appreciate in the future. Hold on to yours, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
how many miles on ur and what number u got

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how many miles on ur and what number u got
The Desmo has a little under 2000 miles and it is #194/1500. The Streetfighter is a 2010 and has about 2300 miles. I haven't ridden the bikes as much because I had a bad hit-and-run accident on my Streetfighter resulting in some pretty good injuries requiring surgery and an 8 month off work recovery. So, my GF is really super sensitive about me riding. She has gotten better but the fun is still taken out of it a bit because I know it scares her to death whenever I ride. The Desmo just happened to come in to the the dealer when I dropped in for a visit during lunch while attending a conference. The price was right and I always wanted one, so I bought it. That caused a MAJOR falling out with my GF, but she calmed down a little over time. I now feel like I am a quite bit rusty, as I haven't ridden consistently in a while.

·
Registered
107 Posts
nice ride safe buddy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts