Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm about to pick up a 1098 tricolore and just had some questions in regards to what to look out for. I've spent the last 2 days reading these forums and from what i can see these things are literally a crap shoot(joking). The only major things that i could see from the forums was 2 recalls(voltage regulator and the rear sprocket), ive got the local dealer checking to see if theyve been done because the bike is on its 3rd owner and hes not sure. The bike has 8500kms and is beyond clean so im hoping the current owner and previous owners took care of her. I'm going tonight with a Duc loyalists to have a quick once over but im wondering if theres any things you guys can tell me to look for. I was also thinking about having it inspected at a duc shop. Thanks for any help. I've always been a yammy fan boy so its time to step up with the big boys

Edit. Just got a call from the dealer and the voltage reg was never done. They said they can do this but would it cause any damage if the bike was run with a faulty regulator for 8500kms?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The recall's aren't really crazy on the 1098, nothing you can't do yourself. The voltage regulator thing is simply a heat shield you can install yourself or BUILD yourself. Regulators are dying left and right all over the world even WITH that update, so its not some crazy critical thing. When the regulator dies, the bike will simply not charge its battery, which could result in leaving you stranded. But it doesn't really damage anything, so I wouldn't be worried. I'd just ride it and do the standard maintenance, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I would also recommend checking out how the bike starts.. Ive had to replace the starter clutch (Sprag) on my 1198 twice.. 2nd time was due to improper installation of the 1st replacement, but that can be a pricey fix.. Also ensure the the 7500 mile service was done properly and if not, try to take that into price consideration.. Good luck fella!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts