Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just purchased my first Ducati, a second-hand 2014 Hypermotard 821 SP. And I rode it for the first time today! What an interesting bike. I almost always wear my earbuds and music to block most of the wind and motor sounds. Today, I found myself pulling them out to listen to this Italian beauty rumble. What a ride, torque, and stance. It is quite different than my other bikes. But I have sneaky feeling this will not be my only Ducati. It feels like a piece of art. Anyone recommend any mods for it? The oil filter hanging in space is a bit freaky and vulnerable. I am thinking of putting a carbon fiber belly pan on it, just as a safeguard. Evo frame sliders are on the way Monday, I just finished a sweet ShifT Tech tidy tail this morning, and I'm considering a small wind visor. Any suggestions? I'm super stoked to have this bike and am really looking forward to discussing your expertise with my newness to this brand. I'm a huge Yamaha fan, own a 2015 R1, and YZ450 dirt bikes. But this Hyper is the strangest body position yet. I just got a 2014 Honda 250L, full supermoto, and it feels like what I'd expect; dirt bike stance, lower on the street. The Hyper I feel as though I'm on top of the front end and bars. It's so tall. Rambling I know, but I'm very interested in all of your opinions. Thanks in advance and enjoy your ride!

Johnny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats Johnny! I highly recommend the CNC Racing rearsets with the pegs adjusted all the way up. Much better ground clearance. I have an Ohlins steering stabilizer on the way. I've grown use to them on my Panigale and YZ450F. Hard to say what I have more fun riding, but the Hyper consistently has me giggling like a school girl. So fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on, and thanks. The steering definitely feels the need for a stabilizer. Whats that put you back, another $600? I used an Ohlins on another R1 and it seemed to be very good. I rode it twice today, the second time in full gear/leathers, sliders, boots,etc. There is a big learning curve for me of were I really want to be, body position wise. On the R1, I'm hugging, hanging, and leaning. This Hyper seems like i don't want to hang so far from the bike. I guess its the height. It is really different. It sure wants to be on the back wheel though, wow! Any suspension setting advice? I'm sure I'll start by finding the recommended range and setting the sag. But I'd like some insight before I "learn to ride it" as it is, you know. But all said, I feel honored to own one of these machines. Its a real piece of work!
/Users/johnny/Desktop/IMG_7329.jpg
/Users/johnny/Desktop/IMG_7499.jpg
/Users/johnny/Desktop/IMG_7331.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shoot an email to Lyle at Bellissimoto. He'll hook you up on a Ohlins stabilizer. I have short legs so sag is as low as it will go, which I think was only about 7mm from stock setting. I run the race seat which is taller than the stock seat but grips my leathers much better. So it is worth the struggle I have touching the ground. Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do, much thanks! I rode it twice today. I was so puckered in the seat a few times though. It is the height, there is a LOT of lean angle from that vantage. And as I don't know the bike, I feel a little unconfident. I did put her in Race mode for a bit, but all she wanted to do was stand up. So I'm back to Sport until I get the feeling for her. I did find neutral from I think 4th gear. It was weird. I was downshifting sort of hot, and it just starting coasting. I freaked because I had faulty TPS with an older R1 years ago that caused a crash for me. Hopefully, it was just a random glitch. But I hate if any of my bikes are not consistent. Thanks again, for the Ohlins resource and for your time and advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was consistently hitting false neutral quite a bit. Once I installed the CNC Racing rearsets I spent a considerable amount of time to get the adjustment right. So far so good, it's been a while since I've done that. The linkage is much tighter now. Absolutely no slop like there was with the OE setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Lyle touched back today. He recommends the Matris stabilizer. I've never heard of it but reading about it was very interesting. Those CNC rear sets look fantastic too. But at $1,100! Youch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts