Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am real newbie..never ever owned a bike.. took classes and got the license last week. I really love the look of ducati sport bike and I am the person who go by looks than performance. The reason I dont care much about performance is because I dont want to take any risks in life by speeding..so i may not really race.. I might keep the bike for 1-2 yrs max and want to sell.. so my main criteria is looks and resale value...I live in Milwaukee i will post my options in next post.. thx

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Can't wait . Looking forward to your next post

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
please take a look at the model, year of manufacture, miles and please help me choose the right one which has looks and also resale value.. one more thing important is I need a passenger seat for my wife...so looking for a biposto..

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/4528494748.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/4521431180.html (this is 2007 and not 2097)

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/4522363716.html - 6800 bucks

Ducati 748 Low Miles Lots of Extras $5000 OBO

ducati 999 (this guy did not update pics, asked him to do so, will update)

2008 Ducati 1098 With Lots of Extras! Termigonis! Rizoma (this guy did not update pics, asked him to do so, will update)

1998 Ducati 916 - Red, 20k miles - $4,100

DUCATI 900SS 1995 SUPER SPORT

2005 Ducati 999 - 14,5kmi - Great Track Bike

03 Ducati 749s Rare

1999 Ducati 996 biposta

2009 Ducati 848 sportbike corse evo

I know its a big list.. but please any help is appreciated.. give me options...thx in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
please all the experienced senior guys pick your choice... this my first time driving.. but at the same time please keep in mind that i am looking for sexy looking bike but dont too much care abt the performance/speed/power.... but do care about resale...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, once you post your options...please tell me how much if I negotiate will be a great deal too on your options... thx

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
That's such a broad list. Coming from my experience I'd forego the sportbikes. They're uncomfortable to ride (unless it's all twisties), there's a ton of heat from the exhaust which bothers some people (I have crappy blood circulation so am perpetually cold, I actually like the heat), and are all very dedicated machines. Try checking out the Monster options, those have more livable ergonomics, the engines are generally simpler (for the older models, which equates to cheaper maintenance), they still have ample power, especially for a brand new rider. You could even wait for a new Monster 821 to be released, with all the rider aids it should be a good fit for a new rider, comfortable and should hold value for a while. I know that's not necessarily the answer you were looking for but with my little experience it's what I've come to learn for myself.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
None of these. Find yourself a nice older Monster or better yet, SV650.

Reactions: gunther19820

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I'd be suspicious of this one; wasn't the evo a 2011 model and the corse introduced in 2012?
-r
Yup, there's no such thing as a 2009 848 Evo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your advices guys...but here is what i am looking for..

1. I am in love with the "sports"bike than of a monster at this point of time (just for 1 -2 yrs)
..may be in future I might go for a monster.. also considering my budget, I dont want to go any more than 7000 bucks..
2. for some reason I love ducatis and the shape and style.. so i dont want to get anything other than a duc sport bike..

plz help me with the list I have... because those are the only ones I can reach out to..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
selbitz... thanks for your suggestion..

as i am a newbie i have this questions...the one you selected saya 1998 yr of manufacture..generally what does people look when buying bikes?

yr of manufacure or number of miles... 748 you mentiond has only 8700 miles which is impressive, but the yr of manufacture is 1998 which is 16 yrs old and after i used it for a yr or 2 it will be 17 yr old bike.. will i get a good resale? sorry if its a dumb question..

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Reasons you should NOT buy a sport bike:

1) They're extremely uncomfortable and twitchy. That's not good when you're just trying to learn how to not fall off.
2) Maintenance is a bitch. More valves, more heat, tighter tolerances, increased wear... This is especially true of the older ones like the 748. Expect to pay roughly $1,000 every few thousand miles for shop work.
3) You WILL drop it at least once, and those plastics cost hundreds of dollars EACH.
4) The brakes and steering response on sport bikes accentuate mistakes, not mask them like upright bikes. Once again, not good for learning.
5) Resale on sport bikes is garbage. A Monster will hold value much better, especially if it's already gone through most of its depreciation.

Reactions: gunther19820

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reasons you should NOT buy a sport bike:

1) They're extremely uncomfortable and twitchy. That's not good when you're just trying to learn how to not fall off.
2) Maintenance is a bitch. More valves, more heat, tighter tolerances, increased wear... This is especially true of the older ones like the 748. Expect to pay roughly $1,000 every few thousand miles for shop work.
3) You WILL drop it at least once, and those plastics cost hundreds of dollars EACH.
4) The brakes and steering response on sport bikes accentuate mistakes, not mask them like upright bikes. Once again, not good for learning.
5) Resale on sport bikes is garbage. A Monster will hold value much better, especially if it's already gone through most of its depreciation.
thanks for all the suggestion.. now I am confused..my heart wants a ducati sports bike as i am in love with the look..but you experts say not to get one...hmm...but my instructor said i can get one and will not have any problems..monsters are out of my budget as they are more than 10 grand in my area..

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
thanks for all the suggestion.. now I am confused..my heart wants a ducati sports bike as i am in love with the look..but you experts say not to get one...hmm...but my instructor said i can get one and will not have any problems..monsters are out of my budget as they are more than 10 grand in my area..
Older Monsters can be had for between $3-6k.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DucLover,

yes theyare... but as i mentioned.. my first preference is the look...hahaha

newer models look good compared to older and newer ones are pricey..

do you think the 800 ss or 748 which has less CC is also that I cannot handle?

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
DucLover,

yes theyare... but as i mentioned.. my first preference is the look...hahaha

newer models look good compared to older and newer ones are pricey..

do you think the 800 ss or 748 which has less CC is also that I cannot handle?
The Supersport is a better bet because the air cooled bikes are less maintenance intensive than the liquid cooled ones.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just buy a cheap older air cooled monster, get some frame sliders, ride it for the summer, and then you can sell it for what you bought it for. Then buy a superbike. You won't care as much if you drop the monster in the parking lot as there are no fairings to destroy. Have you taken a MSF course?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just buy a cheap older air cooled monster, get some frame sliders, ride it for the summer, and then you can sell it for what you bought it for. Then buy a superbike. You won't care as much if you drop the monster in the parking lot as there are no fairings to destroy. Have you taken a MSF course?
yes I took the msf course.. i will try myself this weekend to get a monster... dont know if i can help myself.. i so much love the sportsbike and cant wait till next summer.. hahahahaha

1 - 20 of 37 Posts