Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I call bullshit! Somewhere along the way, something will happen that will open a door for Casey to do at least 1 wildcard/substitute race. Even if it's on a Pramac bike. At least that's what I'm going to continue to tell myself :D

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Claudio Domenicali, Ducati’s CEO, declared that Casey Stoner, the factory's all-new MotoGP test rider, is not expected to take part in any premier class racing event in 2016.

That doesn't mean NO...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
“Things are clear between us for now – [wildcards] are not in our plans or his.” Claudio Domenicali quote. So it looks like it's not exactly a NO but usually that means he has no planned wildcards and only if a racer is injured will he have a chance at seeing the track. My guess is PI is his biggest chance and maybe sliding in at Mugello being Ducati's home track and they like to throw riders at that track like darts.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
“Things are clear between us for now — [wildcards] are not in our plans or his.” Claudio Domenicali quote. So it looks like it's not exactly a NO but usually that means he has no planned wildcards and only if a racer is injured will he have a chance at seeing the track. My guess is PI is his biggest chance and maybe sliding in at Mugello being Ducati's home track and they like to throw riders at that track like darts.

We should have a pole because I'm betting he will be in one race 100% if for any reason one of the two riders can't.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. As I said, if a rider is injured, he will likely have a spot. Mainly if he asks for a spot, he'll get one because of what happened between him and Honda while Dani was laid up. Ducati will want him to be happy.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I'm willing to bet that one of the Ducati factory or satellite riders absolutely be "injured" and "will have to" miss a race ;)

·
Registered
632 Posts

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
^^^ if Stoner and Ducati achieve a similar chemistry as in 2007, there will be no force great enough to keep them from competing with other Manufacturers of MotoGP Motorcycles!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Look Stoner was a test rider for Honda over the last couple years and there was a need to have someone step up and stoner didn't go. It will be the same with Ducati.
Stoner made it fairly clear he was not happy with MotoGP's direction.
While we would all love to see him play with the big boys again myself included I wouldn't hold my breath, I'd say highly doubtful.

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Look Stoner was a test rider for Honda over the last couple years and there was a need to have someone step up and stoner didn't go. It will be the same with Ducati.
Stoner made it fairly clear he was not happy with MotoGP's direction.
While we would all love to see him play with the big boys again myself included I wouldn't hold my breath, I'd say highly doubtful.
Um have you read the articles that said when Stoner had a chance to step in that Honda said NO and that's one of the main reason he stopped testing? Ducati isn't saying he will but they are not saying he won't because if Ducati says he's the first option how do you think that makes Dovi feel?

Ducati has made it clear there goal isn't to win the motogp title they will settle for 1 or 2 wins. And you can bet your ass they will stick Stoner in given the opportunity.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I hope it happens and I hope it turns into a Valencia 2006 race! :D....last time (and probably the ONLY time, at least as far as I know) that a wildcard rider won a race...and on a Ducati too!

Reactions: Tchase

·
Registered
564 Posts
Um have you read the articles that said when Stoner had a chance to step in that Honda said NO and that's one of the main reason he stopped testing? Ducati isn't saying he will but they are not saying he won't because if Ducati says he's the first option how do you think that makes Dovi feel?

Ducati has made it clear there goal isn't to win the motogp title they will settle for 1 or 2 wins. And you can bet your ass they will stick Stoner in given the opportunity.

I read them of course that's right Honda said no if I were them I'd have said the same.
Look if Stoner actually wanted to get into competitive Racing i.e. WSBK, MotoGP I'm sure he could get a ride but that isn't where his heart is and it shows.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I remember him saying he wasn't retiring two weeks before he announced his retirement, so don't believe the open ended wont's and 'no's, this is an evolving story, nothing is set in stone, yet.

As for helping the team win again, I don't think either of the Andrea's has what it takes to hold off the existing Aliens consistently, but with the new rules etc, we will all have to see how things play out.

However, if Stoner can lay down lap times that show the Ducati is capable, then maybe the other Ducati riders will have to pull their fingers out & have a real go.

Craig

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
I read them of course that's right Honda said no if I were them I'd have said the same.
Look if Stoner actually wanted to get into competitive Racing i.e. WSBK, MotoGP I'm sure he could get a ride but that isn't where his heart is and it shows.
Honda did the right thing their situation is different than Ducati (They've been winning)

Desperate times cause for desperate measures. :drummer:

I think his heart is in racing, it sure as hell is in his DNA, can't blame the guy for not liking the politics. And as a test rider / standby he can have both worlds...

·
Registered
632 Posts
It's hard to know the real truth and what each rider feels as they are never reported on truthfully or properly when English interviews get translated to Italian & then translated again.

Stoner left the circus because he didn't like the path that MotoGP was taking, he didn't like all the electronics that that gave lesser riders an advantage & he particularly didn't like that Rossi was the driver of those electronic advances.

As much as many people don't like Stoner because of his media persona, he is old school in as much as he believes in winning races the old fashioned way, much the same as if you play golf, the rules of the game often mean you need to accept the rules and honour the penalty, if you've never played golf, get a fucking life.

Stoner's DNA is about racing, he can't change that & neither can his wife or anyone else.

Biography | Casey Stoner Official Website | #27 Double MotoGP World Champion

Craig

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
^^ interesting read... the electronics issues are over the top!!! Honda seems to have an huge lead on research and developement, not tooooo surprising!!!

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.