Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Monster 750 and the front cylinder has no spark. The mechanic has no manual for diagnostics but said the problem is not the coil, nor the EDC (?). We thought there might be a hole in the cylinder, but twice now the cylinder did fire inexplicably. Therefore, it might seem to be an electric problem. Are there any ideas out there that might help? Please.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I recently had this problem with an ST3 and it turned out to be the ECU was at fault, not triggering the injector. You need to confirm if your engine has spark at the plug (Have you replaced them?) and confirm the injector has a signal from the ECU before looking any further.

Reactions: Fajz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello mate I've been wrestling with my 1098 recently, solved its major issue where it was mostly running on 1 cylinder.

I found that the fwd cylinder ignition coil wasn't getting a good earth - which it needs for the igniter to work properly.

The Igniter coils are 'cigar' type are bolted to the camshaft cover with 1 bolt, and I found that the camshaft cover itself was not making a good earth to the rest of the engine.

By not good I mean 0.5 Mega Ohms resistance (compared with the vertical cylinder which was 0.0 Ohms to the frame earth).

So I ran a new ground wire direct from the igniter coil mount bolt to a frame earth point. Problem solved. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting. I just tore into my new to me 1098 which was running well and found the mounting ears on the coil was broken off and the bike ran well. Also its a plastic part so how does the ground work?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is just as yours one hole. But it was in two pieces broken where the ear meets the tube so no link to the coil. And the bike ran perfectly I am confused.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
You know the spark plug treads into the head right??? And the bit down the pointy end is called an electrode.. and the spark jumps between the tiny pointy bit In the middle and the prongy bit, which is on the outside and screws into the metal of the head

But you knew that .. right??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes sir Mr Shrek I do, I do have a masters in of all things engineering. Don't think you are grasping my line of reasoning. If a additional ground to the bolt head was what fixed MrPPRose no spark issue and on my bike that bolt was isolated because it broke from the coil, and my bike was running fine. What I am questioning is where is the link to the coil? Is there a connection in the plastic to the housing of the coil that my bike is missing but some how still ran fine? Not trying to be a smart ass just seeking knowledge.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'd like to know what the 1098 coils, broken or otherwise, have to do with the Monster 750....

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
All things engineering.. the bolt hole and the tag associated is to hold the coil pack and tube from vibrating and potentially snapping the porcelain on the plug which will result in the plug misfiring and arcing to the plug tube.

The difference and end result is the same as when you are overtaking another bike.. you make that Thwutttttt... noise in your helmet.. if you do it every time then you must go faster when you do make that noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Righto lads I've had a very educational few days - so I went down a false track of igniter coil earthing only because for some reason I decided to check resistance from coil to frame ground. Turns out it doesn't need ground via the mount lug (my mistake).

- Horizontal cylinder was 0.5 MegaOhms, vertical was zero so I just threw on a dedicated ground wire to the horizontal cylinder and for some reason it actually fixed my idling problem. That was a false win on my part. Mistakenly I thought all issues solved (but they were not as found out yesterday)..

- I re-flashed my ECU using Tuneboy (absolutely brilliant) to a race map yesterday and found it fixed ALL engine issues. So then reading the previous post where the coil mount lug was actually broken I tried removing my patched-in grounding wire and it made no difference to how the engine ran. Please disregard my early rants about coil earthing!

- Concluding out of all this that it's easy to fool one's self during frustrating times, and you may not have fixed the real issue, only masked it. I've never had an ECU go bad like this and it was honestly one of my last go-to's because it meant buying diagnostic equipment.

- Positives are I can recommend to anyone having phantom/random engine issues with their Marelli equipped Ducati to either flash a fresh map into the ECU or swap an ECU to try it out. Also now I have the TuneBoy equipment which is really very inexpensive and allows very easy (5 minute) ECU flashes whenever I want.

TuneBoy bundle includes a lot of different maps for different variants ie stock/full termi/stalling fix/race etc so can be tried out to see what suits your riding style best. Cool stuff.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Terrific.. now that we have fixed some 1098’s and some ST3’s.. can we get back to the OP’s 750 monster?

This is not EFI, had no coil packs on plugs, has no ECU .. has shitty khine (?) carbies and is renowned for bad coil and plug leads.

I was a little interested because The Boss has the same issue. I have yet to start down the repair trail but was going for dyna coils first.

Could be fuel, could be in the carb with a sticky N&S. Could be a few things but it can’t be an ecu at present.

But one day , just after she decided she wanted to ride it, I will have to look at it I guess.

Oh and replace them 20yo tyres.

Reactions: 37832

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your input in trying to help my situation! I appreciate it. A friend on mine figured out the problem. The reason the front cylinder was not firing was due to the magnetic pick-ups. It took a while to find, but he replaced them and she runs better than ever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts