Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was involved in a deer accident around a year ago . Since that I had no money , no time ,and not even a pleasure to do it . finally I decided to fix it and bought most of the parts now.
I put the bike together, replaced fuel filter as well . The bike started after a jump start easily . I let it run for 10-15 minutes . Than I stopped it . After I started again I felt some smoke and stopped the engine and I figured out one of the wire got stretched in the accident and got hot and melted together so made some short . (that was a wire which goes to the starter solenoid ) so I fixed that wire and started the bike -no more melting issue. I took it to a short test ride around my neighborhood, came home and put it back to my storing place .
1 week later I started again , just fine but it just cut off right after 1 minutes run .
Since that I cannot started its just cranking -cranking-and cranking . I hear the fuel pump priming so that's fine .
I took out the both plugs now but I have no spark , so I am thinking its probably the ECU or the crank shaft sensor or I have no Idea where to start. I do not know if I can test that somehow or I can test the ECU somehow.
Any Ideas???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its even gets worst now! Today I went to check the spark and it does not even turn over anymore.
I do not remember if the kills switch is off position does it turns ? so maybe that's the problem!
If the ECU done can it be the same problem? The fuel pump still priming.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The motor will still turn over even if the killswitch is engaged, it just won't spark. Check the sidestand switch and the killswitch for proper functionality. If both are OK it will likely be the ECU or CPS. Again, check if the right rad fan spins 1/4 second when key is turned on.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The fuel pump still priming.
If you're turning over the ignition and the pump is still priming, that means the ignition pickup is working ok. Thats generally the cause of no or out-of-time spark.

The next thing you need to check is the injectors, are they spraying? That will help you to identify if the ECU is at fault or if its just a simple switch like mentioned above.

If the injectors are working, then the system should be putting out spark. If the injectors are NOT working, then the system is told to not produce spark. The two of them kinda go hand in hand. The fuel pump is suppose to be part of the circuit as well. However, lets rule that out by simply lifting the tank and checking those injectors for fuel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only gonna have time to check these things on the weekend , but I am sure the fan turns 1/4 when I turn the key also I can hear a small clicking noise from one of the relay under the battery .(probably from the right one )
I will check all the connections as well .
Thanks for all the help guys and I will post everything I'll notice .

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I will check all the connections as well .
Have a close look at the alternator-to-regulator connection, as these are often subject to higher loadings than the connector is rated for.

It is in behind the battery housing, with three yellow wires. You may find signs of heat or corrosion there.

Not going to be your primary problem, but can cause regulator problems, which may have led to your current symptoms.

The fact that your bike has sat for a while makes wiring resistance a likely cause.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I believe the CPS is OK if the fan is spinning 1/4 second at "key on". That almost certainly leaves a faulty ECU or or it's connections if there is no spark.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help guys.
I had a full Saturday and I tested all the wires and finally I found the problem :
One line in a kill switch wire was broken so that cause the "no spark situation " and also inside the kill switch the starter button contact was corroded .
I just had an extra kill switch from a hypermotard so I paired them together and all starts easily now. My starter button always made me hard time ,it stuck inside several times I had no idea why. Now I know it .
To test the whole wiring harness that was a hell of a job ,but totally worth it .
I replaced the stator connector as well as you recommended that was burned inside .
Thanks again! I am so happy with this forum and with all the helpful FELLAS here !!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts