Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told this by the shop I use, that Q3's dont require warmers. But I'm confused here...

If heat cycling is the biggest tire killer, then why would I not want to run warmers?

I have warmers and fully plan on using them, just curious what your opinions are.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
909 Posts
go to race tire services web site, they are a Dunlop race tire distributor. Lots of info there.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, just says warmers are optional.

Its really interesting. My idea for warmers has been wrong. I always thought we used them to regulate how much the tire would cool off in between sessions, and never really thought about them as being used to get tires up to temp.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I always lived by the motto "To each their own" but when it comes to track days or actual racing-regardless of what tires I ran (which I agree was 99% Race DOT & sometimes slicks) I used my ChickenHawk Tire Warmers on EVERYTHING each and every time!

My understanding of a heat cycle is the repeated heating up, and cooling off of ANY tire when one goes OUT onto the track (brought up to 175 degrees an hour before) and when I came OFF the track (the warmers were put back on (even if not plugged in for awhile) to save them from getting hot, then cold-time after time. = Heat Cycle.

That comes from YEARS of track days and Club Racing and this practice saved me LOTS of money buying tires each time (especially if just doing track days) Race weekends were a whole different story - and for the record - I ONLY used Pirelli's on both the 748R and the
SV650! I think I tried a set of Bridgestones once and Dunlop slicks, but the only tire that spoke up and told me "You are about to lose traction this leaned over Gunny" was Pirelli !!
**Hence reason I still have one of the absolute best Pirelli Tire Reps as a good friend and have referred him out to anyone who asks for his contact info!

Therefore, IMHO tire warmers are a total MUST HAVE and though Ive never run Dunlop Q3s I would still use them (even if only brought up to 135 deg) regardless of whoever told me I dont have to! -------However.................TO EACH THEIR VERY OWN MY FRIENDS !!!! :)

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
It's my understanding that heat cycling a tire takes moisture out of a tire when they cool. The tire only has so much moisture before they dry out. Get them up to temp during your first session on the track and keep them at the temp in between using the warmers makes one long heat cycle so the tire should last longer.

Warmers on slicks is also to prevent cold tearing of the rubber. It also saved a lot of racers who used to go out on cold tires, get a little rambunctious and crash.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Get them up to temp during your first session on the track and keep them at the temp in between using the warmers makes one long heat cycle so the tire should last longer.
This is exactly what I did with my last tires, albeit they were 10/90 track/street tires. Colder temps in the morning later in the season gave me a few butt pucker moments

Will carry on as planned with the Q3's, and plan to keep the rubber side down at all times

Cheers guys

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I raced 5 races and a whole practice day beforehand with the Q3's using tire warmers.

The tires stuck like glue, quite impressive.

I would never again go on track without warmers...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^a lot of guys have good reviews of them like yours, so I'm stoked to get to play tomorrow!
Its my first TD of the season

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
T I already have my warmers, so it isnt an added expense (at this point) like it is for you, and my track has free electric. I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to "hurt" the tires by using warmers

You gotta come play out here!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Tchase, why wouldn't you use tire warmers? It takes little effort to put them on and off at the track.

If you're thinking cost of tire warmers and front and rear stand, I get that. But otherwise, why wouldn't you?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Gunther, the Q3's I used last year I still have. They are 'blued' from the heat from the warmers but I don't think they are worse off because of it....

I'm planning on giving them away as a street tire only to someone local.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tchase, why wouldn't you use tire warmers? It takes little effort to put them on and off at the track.

If you're thinking cost of tire warmers and front and rear stand, I get that. But otherwise, why wouldn't you?
His track doesnt have electric, so he would be on the hook for a generator, warmers, fuel, etc.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts