Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a couple of members tell me what temperature their bikes are running at, in degrees c at normal cruising speeds. Mine is running at 66 degrees c ,which i reckon is wrong. On past bikes up around 79 d c is about right. Could be a faulty temp sensor ???

·
Registered
166 Posts
I figure this is close, at speed mine runs anywhere from 65 to 85C depending on ambient temp and load. Stuck in traffic I've seen it as high as about 105C. I think it's accurate...at least it's consistent.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine has gotten up to 154 F, which is about 67-68 C, I too think this is low, but it has been cool here, will be more telling when the weather is warmer. I don't know the answer.
F

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine has hit 220 F but I live in Florida. That was also in stop and go traffic. On the interstate it stays about 190 F

Trey

·
Registered
370 Posts
tbeard said:
Mine has hit 220 F but I live in Florida. That was also in stop and go traffic. On the interstate it stays about 190 F

Trey
Do you leak coolent or you bike makes a wierd sound at 220 F? My old 998 would do that. I was wondering if the new one will too?

·
Registered
166 Posts
ansman said:
Do you leak coolent or you bike makes a wierd sound at 220 F? My old 998 would do that. I was wondering if the new one will too?
Mine's hit 220 a few times in traffic with no leaks or noises. I'm hoping I can say the same in the middle of the AZ summer ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Those are pretty high temps. I guess these bikes are truly meant to be moving constantly to get rid of all the heat being produced. Would make sense.

·
Registered
166 Posts
suryad said:
Those are pretty high temps. I guess these bikes are truly meant to be moving constantly to get rid of all the heat being produced. Would make sense.
No higher than any of the other water cooled Ducs. And, you only see these temps in stop & go traffic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Suzuki will run over 200 easily in warm stop n go as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anywhere from 130 f to 200+ f. 130s were in 30+ degree temperatures on the highway (at night). 200s were after a run and being stuck in traffic trying to get back to my garage. 150-170s have been the norm on my nightly break in runs, but air temp is mid-40s ot mid-50s. I'm expecting 200+ temps when Spring arrives and I get to ride it during the day.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Riding in 44F temps last evening, I was usually around 155F coolant temp.

·
Registered
187 Posts
ansman said:
It did make some strange noise when the fans would turn on but the dealer fixed that. There was a cable houseing touching one of the fans. Other than that it worked as well as a stalling bike should work at that temp.

Trey

·
Registered
93 Posts
On the highway I get this
=> 48 celcius by 6 celcius outdoor temp
=> 55 celcius by 15 celcius outdoor temp.

I find this way too cold. If I go into traffic or land roades it gets higher but on the highway it really goes way down, try it,
ALL ARE DOING IT and I FIND THIS AN ISSUE. :mad:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I rode about 200 miles on Saturday and hit a traffic jam. I was nervous at first because of my old 998. When my old 998 hit 220 F. The engine would start making the popping noise. Then the coolent will start to leak, after that the bike would shut off. I'll have to wait until the bike cools off to about 190 F in order for me to restart the bike.

Anyhow, I was very happy that the temp went up to 220F and then it went back down to 217 and nothing leaked and the bike ran just fine!!! Knock on wood....

·
Registered
944 Posts
boy 200-220 F seems awful high. Does anyone make a lower temp thermostat? or a more efficient fan?

·
Registered
354 Posts
B1098S said:
On the highway I get this
=> 48 celcius by 6 celcius outdoor temp
=> 55 celcius by 15 celcius outdoor temp.

I find this way too cold. If I go into traffic or land roades it gets higher but on the highway it really goes way down, try it,
ALL ARE DOING IT and I FIND THIS AN ISSUE. :mad:
Wow, paranoid, aren't you? Relax, temps normally fluctuate a lot. I've had mine vary what I consider a very large amount but unless I have it not heating up at all (which can't happen) or overheating, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. All are doing it because it is normal. I'm more concerned with things like rear tire mileage and what I'm going to replace it with.

If you increase air flow, the temp *should* drop. If it didn't, I'd be worried. If you "find this an issue", maybe you need to ride a Honda Gold Wing or something a bit less exiotic and finicky.

Please don't take my reply wrong but worrying about something that normal sounds like something my mother-in-law would do.

I work for the local BMW car dealer. Know what BMW does for this issue? They change the function of the gauge so if it is within a certain range, it reads dead center on the gauge. It won't rise up over 1/2 way until it is on the verge of overheating. I think I'd much rather have an accurate gauge.

·
Registered
337 Posts
FirstDuc-1098 said:
boy 200-220 F seems awful high. Does anyone make a lower temp thermostat? or a more efficient fan?
My old RC51 normally ran 225 F in stop and go traffic and it never skipped a beat. 1098 is running around 190F and it was about 80F ambient today.

·
Registered
93 Posts
MX Tuner said:
Wow, paranoid, aren't you? Relax, ....
According to the dealer I have a faulty heat sensor, he measured the cooling water temp directly and it varied up to 30C degrees vs the dash read ou, New sensor ordered.

·
Registered
944 Posts
saw up to 202 F while driving around yesterday. Something like 62 F outside.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts