Ducati.org forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
I'm thinking about it and yeah I've got the same amount of flex in the front brake I'm going to push the pistons into the caliper all the way and see if I get any new air bubbles... we'll see
I was just reading and thinking that I found I couldn’t get a full lever on our sram or xtr mtb brakes without seating the pads and pistons all the way home. , also you vacuum all the air from the brake fluid before you start and it’s scarey how much is actually suspended in ‘at rest’ brake fluid.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
After two weeks all is functioning great. First week after the replacements I didn't ride due to weather, but was able to jump right on this past week and ride everyday without incident, works perfectly.

To make sure, I hooked up the mighty vac today and pumped up the rear brake and got no bubbles, just a steady flow of fluid.

To me this solution seems to solve the issue without question. You can talk about pad flex and pistons not fully seated but none of those are going to affect the fluid in the line, it will make your brakes drag or wear unevenly, but they won't cause air in your line.

TLDR; if you can't get the rear brakes to bleed and work, replace the master cylinder. If that doesn't work, replace the rear caliper.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
It was never suggested these would create air in your line... merely that they can create flex feelings in your pedal/lever.
Incorrect or inefficient bleeding will leave air in your fluid

Glad you got it sorted and bled using new components.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Mine still pretty snug...at least as snug as first observed after bleeding...still getting use to using it rather than relying on the engine braking...I have a new one on order...but I'm still pessimistic that it's "the fix"...I haven't lubed the elbow nor have I re-bled the brake...but if air was entering through the elbow I should feel it... especially now that I'm actually using it... haven't engaged the abs...looking to remove that part from the equation...a separate hot start issue doesn't have me running to go riding either so it's mostly sitting....a rolling stone gathers no moss but I've witnessed a parked Ducati fill with air

21 - 24 of 24 Posts