Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do I have one blue and one black o-rings? is there actually a difference coz ordered new o-rings for my 2008-1098 and they're both black. -thanks in advance for any input on the blues and blacks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Assuming your talking about the fuel quick release...there 2 different materials...if they both were blue it would be a bigger pita to remove...what is important is the type of oring you bought...I was replacing butyl nitrile rings every time I took it apart... won't hold up...I switched to viton and haven't had one tear in more than a dozen disconnects

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming your talking about the fuel quick release...there 2 different materials...if they both were blue it would be a bigger pita to remove...what is important is the type of oring you bought...I was replacing butyl nitrile rings every time I took it apart... won't hold up...I switched to viton and haven't had one tear in more than a dozen disconnects
These are Viton I researched to be sure I got the right ones according to other Ducati owners. They say oil and gas resistant, however the colors are black both top and bottom and yes they’re quick release fuel connectors. Thanks much for your message, I feel better knowing I got the correct brand .

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It's never safe to assume an o-ring is a certain type, material or hardness based on color alone.

That said there are standard stock colors (you can get o-rings in any color you want from the manufacturer).
Black — Viton (Fluorocarbon), Nitrile (Buna-N)
Blue — Fluorosilicone
Brown —Viton

O-rings made of Viton are typically color-coded as black. Green is the color of choice in Europe for color coding Viton, whereas brown is the color in the US. Black is the normal color to be used and in fact offers the optimum performance.

I have never seen a green o-ring that was not Viton. Viton is often available in black (for better UV resistance) so green is usually a telling sign, but black doesn’t mean it is not Viton.

Ref: Parker O-Ring Handbook
They list several types of materials, two of which are Viton (Fluorocarbon), and Buna-N (Nitrile rubber). In this engineering manual, they list hundreds of liquid compounds and their compatibility with each material for the O-ring, graded on a 1-4 scale

1-Satisfactory
2-Fair (Usually OK for static seal)
3-Doubtful (Sometimes OK for static seal)
4-Unsatisfactory

Both Nitrile and Fluorocarbon get a "1" for gasoline, but both also only get a "3" for Ethanol. In other words based on this grading scale they both work equally well (or poorly) in this application looking strictly at chemical compatibility.
Unfortunately gasoline and ethanol are mutually exclusive for most compounds. What gets a high score for one type gives a "4" for the other.
There is one compound though that gets a "1" for both — Fluorosilicone

·
Registered
806 Posts
These are Viton I researched to be sure I got the right ones according to other Ducati owners. They say oil and gas resistant, however the colors are black both top and bottom and yes they’re quick release fuel connectors. Thanks much for your message, I feel better knowing I got the correct brand .
Why didn't you just buy the replacement fuel connectors from Ducati? They come with the correct o-rings. They are considered a normal replacement item.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose that would have been an option however wouldn't have given me the experience of fixing it myself. I installed the viton o-rings today and reassembled the moto everything seems to be working dry and correctly. I will however keep your suggestion in my inbox now that I know the items are considered normal replacement items, that being said I understand ordering parts from Ducati isn't as simple as many say besides i wouldn't quiet know how to begin to order new parts from Ducati...thank you for responding to my post! safe riding..!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shazaam has posted ALL the info you'll EVER need regarding o-rings, honestly I don't know how he has the patience.

If you really want to know the best o-ring to use, rely on the Parker O-Ring book. Parker is the largest supplier of O-Rings in the world to industry.

Forget Ducati, they won't necessarily give you the best available o-ring but will be happy to give you a brabwire enema!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts