Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like there's quite a few Ohlins shocks that popped up in the for sale section....since I have no idea which is which I figured I'd ask. What's the difference between DU510, DU515, DU81110, and TTX36?

The TTX is supposedly the one everyone craves and wants to upgrade to, but what's really the difference between those listed above? Which one is the stock that came on the S models or on the Corsa SE models? Is there any noticeable difference between any of those? And lastly, are they all that much better than the stock Showa shock?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
There are two different types of shocks made by Öhlins which fit the 848/1098/1198

The older non-TTX design (DU515)
The newer TTX design (DU788/DU931)

You can tell the two apart very easily by looking at the compression adjuster knob. The older design has one knob and the TTX ones have 2 knobs.

Ducati used the DU788 on the 1098R. Its the first generation of the shock TTX36MKI and shipped without the hydraulic tensioner.

The updated shock is a DU931 which is a TTX36MKII. Ducati never shipped with this part on the 848/1098/1198, its aftermarket only and its the shock most people use when they buy one new.

There are many other models of shocks, but those are the only ones which fit those models.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The DU511 and DU811 are an OEM shock that would come on a 1X98S, Streetfighter S and 848 Corse models. The 811 has two metal spring adjustment collars vs the 511 where one was plastic. As far as I know, that's the only difference I've seen.

The DU515 looks pretty much just like the DU818 only the comp knob is gold and blue (high and low speed compression) vs one big black adjustment knob like on the DU511. The DU515 also has the stiffer valving for track/race use vs street valving like on the DU511. The DU515 hasn't been made for some time and are rather rare compared to the DU511 which are everywhere. I found a DU511 super cheap on killerslist and it already had the better valving in it. After having the proper spring added and the machine work done on it (so it works with no preload), it's been a huge improvement over stock. It's held me over until I make the larger suspension upgrade I've been wanting.

DU511

DU515

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the explanation guys!

So the DU515 was never stock on any bike? That was an aftermarket shock?

Now that I somewhat know how to identify them, what's the difference between them in performance? How do the TTX ones compare to the S model stock ones (DU511/811)? And how do those compare to the stock Showa?

This would be for 100% track use only.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Rubbish
I'm no technical or expert or even a racer but, in my limited experience I upgraded from Showa to DU515 and I feel the rear tire more planted to the ground does not bounce as much and I have a ton of feedback from my rear (that didn't sound right but you know what I mean) now, I don't know if it was probably because the Showa had the factory settings and was not sprung to my weight as when I did the upgrade the Ohlins came adjusted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts