Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking to service the Ohlins suspension on my 2007 1098s.

does anyone knows which is the oil that it needs?
of course, I want OEM.

Is there any seals, o-rings to replace too?

Where can I purchase these?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If you're unfamiliar with fork service, I would send it out. It's not quite as simple as dumping the oil and filling it back up again.

Basic fork maintenance should include bushings, oil seal and dust seal replacement.

Disassembling the cartridge and valves, is also part of service, so you can replace the mid valve seal.

Measure oil height before you take them apart, you will want to set it back to wherever it currently is.

Maxima 5w or 7w works fine in those forks. No need to purchase Öhlins oil, there isn't anything special about it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The rear Ohlins shock on one of my Ducatis was leaking. My dealer has a shop that does re-builds on them. $99.00 which included re-installing the shock. A bargain IMO.

Pjk

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Maxima 5w or 7w works fine in those forks. No need to purchase Öhlins oil, there isn't anything special about it.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but it’s probably wise to let the fork manufacturer be the final arbiter of what formulation of hydraulic fluid should be used in their product.

This is not to say that fork oil from another manufacturer will result in damage to the fork seals; they simply haven’t been tested by the fork manufacturers for long term compatibility with their particular seal material.

Viscosities

Maxima 5W: 16.2 cSt @40C (centiStokes)
Maxima 7W: 20.8 cSt @40C (centiStokes)
Ohlins 1315: 35.0 cSt @40C (centiStokes)

Recommended in the 1098 Service Manual
Shell Donax TA: 34.9 cSt @40C (centiStokes)
Shell Advance Fork 7.5: 22.0 cSt @40C (centiStokes)

Note that Shell is a Ducati Racing sponsor and only Shell products are recommended in the Owners and Service Manuals.

So take your pick.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
When I had my forks serviced by Ohlins USA... they sent the unused fluid when they shipped the forks, in case I had to add 10cc because of too much travel. (which I never had to add)
It was 1309-01.... same oil as they install in the forks at the service...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just call Öhlins USA (1-800-336-9029) with my fork Model # and buy everything I need from them, oil, seals and bushings, they have it all. I wish all manufacturers were as easy to deal with as they are, truly first rate customer service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.