Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the pdf file for my 2003 Ducati 999s, it shows a drain plug with crush washer. But my bike has what looks like a small cup with four screws on the bottom of the sump. I don't see a drain plug.

I am planning to change the oil and am trying to determine what washers and/or gaskets I need to do this job. Also will need a crush washer for the oil screen.

What will I need to do this job and where to order
from? How do you drain this bike? Confused

·
Registered
35 Posts
You have a deep sump motor. Your manual is referring to a shallow sump design.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
There is a drain plug, its on the bottom, it's a small hex screw. The 4 bigger hex screws and cover are for a filter screen. It's at the bottom of the sump on the deep sump motors. It uses a gasket which you should replace since you don't know its condition. I also use Three Bond 1211 on that gasket, which helps generate a good seal, especially around where the screw holes are. You will generally get a build up of grime on those screws from a tiny bit of leaking which goes on there when NOT sealed up properly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, See it now. I went ahead and ordered a gasket and 2 O-rings. I am going to pull the screen and clean/inspect it this time. I will then put a new gasket on it for good measure.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts