Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of oil are you guys putting in your 749/999 Ducs?
(Brand & Weight)

I could get my hands on some Shell Advanced Ultra 4 but won't be using it due to the shipping expense of acquiring it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
To be fair, as long as you use a decent quality oil (Motul, Shell, Castrol etc) and do regular interval oil changes, then i think you would be fine. I personally tend to use 10W40 oil. If you use the bike when its really cold then i would suggest using a thinner oil such as 5W40. But for everyday normal riding 10W40 would be good enough. I also personally use a 'fully synthetic' oil too.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Everyone is going to have a different preference on which oil is better and so on. Truth is, as long as you DO the oil changes regularly your in good shape. But i use 5w40 as a FYI

·
Banned
263 Posts
i get the penrite sem synth from auto 1
specific bike oil
and use the mineral in my monster
works fine
saves me having to travel at least 45mins or so to get some motul etc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im sure that i am not alone on here by saying that the oil isnt generally the issue it is how often its changed with the filter. Im an amsoil dealer and sent various oils off for analysis and it has shown that running past the 3000 mile mark does start to break down synthentic aswell as dino oil. That being said just choose a good recomened oil that and try it. if you dont like it you can change it. Just make sure you change it often

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amsoil has always worked for me... just change it often and use a good filter!
So can someone suggest a good filter? The only ones I can find are KN (which I read a lot of negative comments about) and Ducati, but I'm not really sure which Ducati filter to use since Ducati doesn't mention it in the owner's manual.
Also, I can't seem to find any instructions on changing the oil anywhere. I imagine it isn't too different than changing on a 2012 Multistrada or an S4Rs but it would be helpful to know for sure.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts