Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys picked up my 08 1098s a few weeks ago and after riding it for the first time I noticed a few small drips of oil on the ground..I noticed it was coming from the drain plug. I felt all the surrounding areas and it was dry so defiantly the plug/washer..I've done a lot of oil changes in my life and never had a crush washer leak i did check the plug it's tight..long story short just curious if anyone else has had this issue with me before? Sucks because the last owner just did a fresh oil change plug and washer lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
There's a few threads where this comes up from memory and most say that the stock drain plug has a crappy magnet and can leak from what i vaguely remember.

I noticed when undoing it I could tell it was soft as butter so i wasnt going to put it back in. I purchased an aftermarket one from Motowheels (site sponsor) which utilised an o-ring instead of the crush washer. While I was at it I got the inspection plate too which also uses an o-ring. Never had a drop come out! :yo:

CORSE DYNAMICS Magnetic Oil Drain Plug V2: Testastretta

Corse Dynamics Billet Aluminum Oil Drain Plate Cover: S4R/S4RS / 848-1198 / SF / Diavel / M1200

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!! I do see some other threads now I should have checked that before starting one lol..didn't really think of it to be a common problem

·
Registered
303 Posts
I too replaced my oil drain plug with one from TPO Racing with the o-ring.
Still, I noticed a tiny bit of oil around the area. It turned out that somehow (I never touched it, so no idea how it failed) the plate in the bottom of the sump started leaking. It was sealed, but no idea. So I too replaced that plate with the one from TPO with the o-ring. Clean ever since.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check around the plate it's completely dry..for a piece of mind I'll probably order that and replace as well though

·
Registered
102 Posts
There's a few threads where this comes up from memory and most say that the stock drain plug has a crappy magnet and can leak from what i vaguely remember.

I noticed when undoing it I could tell it was soft as butter so i wasnt going to put it back in. I purchased an aftermarket one from Motowheels (site sponsor) which utilised an o-ring instead of the crush washer. While I was at it I got the inspection plate too which also uses an o-ring. Never had a drop come out! :yo:

CORSE DYNAMICS Magnetic Oil Drain Plug V2: Testastretta

Corse Dynamics Billet Aluminum Oil Drain Plate Cover: S4R/S4RS / 848-1198 / SF / Diavel / M1200
I would not recommend that drain plug. This is what happened to mine. Lucky I found the magnet in the sump. Imagine the damage it could have done

Attachments

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I would not recommend that drain plug. This is what happened to mine. Lucky I found the magnet in the sump. Imagine the damage it could have done
Damn...well that's not good

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have corse dynamics plate and plug as well and it's not comforting to know that the magnet can fall off.

As for the Allens Gunther is asking about, no they are not pre drilled for safety wire. I recall reading somewhere that these don't need to be. Don't lmao the rules for safety wiring though

·
Registered
303 Posts
yes it is drilled for safety wire along with the k&n oil filter.i haven't done it yet though
he was asking about the sump cover. no those are not, and no need to be.

i too run the TPO bolt and cover and the K&N filter. I wire the TPO bolt to the K&N filter. If you use OEM, simply put a hose clamp around your OEM filter, and wire to that. If you are racing and require even further wiring, then sure look in to it further. If you are simply a track day or even a street rider that wants to ensure these things never come undone, use the K&N or the hose clamp around filter (with the drilled plug). EZ.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've done a lot of oil changes in my life and never had a crush washer leak
I realise you've fixed it now but when I recently changed the oil on my Monster I fitted a new crush washer and torqued to spec.

After the first ride I noticed a coating of oil under the bike which was coming from the plug, I removed it and found the crush washer had split and so had a gap in it where the oil was leaking from.

First time I've ever seen it...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I realise you've fixed it now but when I recently changed the oil on my Monster I fitted a new crush washer and torqued to spec.

After the first ride I noticed a coating of oil under the bike which was coming from the plug, I removed it and found the crush washer had split and so had a gap in it where the oil was leaking from.

First time I've ever seen it...
If I was worried about getting flamed on this board, I would keep this to myself, but I have re-used crush washers 3-4x doing oil changes on my various motorcycles over the years. I usually lay them flat on the ground with some 200 or 400 grit sand paper (whatever I have in my arsenal) and evenly slide them across the paper just enough to rough the sides up. They always worked, every single time. Never once a leak related to that.

Not your problem, but i just figured I'd toss that in there too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is a dead thread but figured I'd chime in as its helpful. Just got a drain out eith an o-ring from MotoWheels and I've never seen that setup so I was skeptical. This helps. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts