Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dunno why but i bothered anyway. i checked the oil filter gauze while changing the oil over the weekend. i accidentally hit the plate and lose which way the gauze goes. i see on one side, there are raised indentations along the edges.

does it matter which way it goes? i can't see how since it's not like the belleville washer in the clutch.

no leaks so far but i've not ridden it yet. just idle to get the oil circulating while checking for oil level.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry it was late last night and typing that up coming from a meeting with Asia. :(

I meant, I removed the gasket and bottom plate that holds the gasket to the sump (that is the sump where the oil gauze go, right?). I accidentally kicked it while moving around and I lose the orientation which side of the gasket is up.

Or does it not matter if which side is up for the gasket since it's not like a belleville washer?

hope that clarifies. i'm still waiting for caffeine to kick in here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have liquid gasket having used that for the aftermarket waterpump. what tool do y'all use to then separate the plate from the sump? the material seems soft so a screw driver woulldn't be the best thing to use to separate the plate from the sump to avoid dents and stuff. not sure a flat blade is strong enough. just asking this in advance.

i actually did the oil change early because for some odd reason, it started leaking after the 7500service. never did before the service (ever). i told the shop i just changed the oil (forgot about the 7500) and no need to do change that but they had to drain it for some work i wanted to get done which was a the factory pro ceramic shift kit.

the leak was never consistent and if i run it a little (idle or street), watch it for days I don't see anything. next thing you know, i see a 3"x5" or 4"x6" size puddle underneath. looking at the sump plate bolts and oil drain bolt, they're soaked with oil. I cleaned the area it with soap/water, contact cleaner and/or degreaser a few different times. the leak t keeps on coming back and it doesn't seem to flow from the top or high above the sump area. the safety wire was intact on the sump bolts and it was my wiring still. never figured out where the leak was coming from. i suspected it might be the oil filter is loose but i tightened it. re-tighted the drain bolt too and it's torqued right. grrrrr

hopefully that is solved and there was just grime the didn't fully seal/seat the oil filter (see some leaks around the air filter area) and/or the oil drain bolt. Or else something happened during the service that called the leak.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only area that get soaked and a thick enough level is the oil drain bolt & the oil sump bolts plus the plate. doesn't seem to come from above it as i cleaned the entire area up to the oil level window to remove any/all oil to see if there is a drip pattern.

thanks for confirming the plate can be removed by just wiggling it. thought it'll need a little more force than that to remove it and have to pry. it is weird that if they didn't remove the oil sump bolts & plate, it's leaking around that area when i never did before (i never removed it myself). i can only attest at this point that there's some grime in the oil drain bolt that caused a leak (not fully seated/sealed to the surface) that also traveled where the oil sump bolts are. kinda hard to see how but i guess anything is possible if it was on the sidestand (i usually put it on a rear stand).

re: confusion icon, i just meant the area/well where the oil filter screws into, it might be when they removed the oil filter it wasn't secured fully and a leak might be occurring and going down the wall area surrounding it thus getting to the oil sump. i cleaned that area too but i could't see the drip line. i do see a drip formed at the bottom of the filter (the head/top of the filter). so it might be both drain bolt and oil filter not fully secured where the oil was coming from.

hopefully it's all good. been checking it and i don't see any drips but like last time, i stopped looked and then i suddenly see drips.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Buy a new crush washer for the drain plug. If you re-use the stock one too many times, it will start to leak on ya.

BTW, the "gauze" is actually called "Engine Oil Screen" or "Engine Sump Screen". :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i do. but maybe that's where the problem started since didn't want them to change the oil and pay another $40-$60 dollars for oil only 400 miles old (or less). the may have re-used the crush washer coupled it not having a good seal. same for the oil filter (ducati made).

we'll see how it goes the next couple of weeks if i see anymore leak. i can only theorize the oil filter and oil drain bolt didn't seal since i did tighten them (bolt was re-torqued).

Buy a new crush washer for the drain plug. If you re-use the stock one too many times, it will start to leak on ya.

BTW, the "gauze" is actually called "Engine Oil Screen" or "Engine Sump Screen". :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts