Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy .. would like to hear if anyone else is having this problem .. excessive oil in the air box .. which is expelled out to the ground .. ride safe and be safe ...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Oil in the air box only has one source that could put up that amount of oil.... doesn't have to be that dirty to be stuck open either...I'd also suspect your intake valves are getting deposits as well...while seafoam will clean the valves... especially early on...the source still remains the breather....back of the engine underneath the exhaust header in the crankcase...hose leads to the air box

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
What often happens is that under certain conditions, under high rpm and light load, the oil doesn't run back because of the reed valve and it builds up in the hose above the reed.

Another common cause of the oil being forced up the hoses is known — it is caused by premature wear on the cylinder walls, which results in excessive crankcase pressure. This pressure forces the oil out and makes it difficult to return to the sump..

The reed valve assembly has small holes to allow ejected oil back into the crankcase, but at a slow rate.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
The other thing to check is that the reed valve itself is still intact. Not too hard to access, needing only the breather hose to be displaced from the crankcase breather housing to check it. Mine failed early on after a day of sustained high revs (after the bike was initially run in) and was replaced under warranty.
One of the very few problems I've had with mine, aside from the three radiators... The reed valve when the bike was nearly new, and the fuel indicating 'thermistor' (around 80,000) the only other failures I've had in over 98,000 kms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts