Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'13 Pannigale has oil dripping from the lower fairing. When I looked closer, it was streaming from the clutch cylinder. I assumed it was the clutch (which was the problem) because I found brake fluid on my garage floor. So I put a new clutch cylinder in, bled the clutch and it works. Not 20 minutes later the same oil leak from the same place. My question is, did I muck something up on the install? Has anyone had this problem and how can I remedy it?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Verify that the fluid leak is clutch hydraulic fluid and not engine oil.
The clutch pushrod, behind the slave cylinder, has o-rings that seal-in engine oil.
These seals may be the leak source.

Automotive tire Branch Font Pattern Electric blue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is engine oil.
There were no o-ring grooves on the pushrod.
The parts breakdown for my bike does not show o-rings.
Could I have an obsolete/incorrect part?
Thanks for all the help. I may try ordering that push rod to see if there are grooves on that one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If it has ever had the clutch replaced and if the pushrod came out with it then the pushrod should only be replaced from the slave cylinder side. It has a regular oil seal "inside" the engine cases which can easily be damaged if the pushrod is fitted from the actual clutch side. Sorry, but it's a complete engine strip to replace a $10 oil seal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it has ever had the clutch replaced and if the pushrod came out with it then the pushrod should only be replaced from the slave cylinder side. It has a regular oil seal "inside" the engine cases which can easily be damaged if the pushrod is fitted from the actual clutch side. Sorry, but it's a complete engine strip to replace a $10 oil seal.
??? Wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ducati riders,
Who is correct? I'm going to strip my bike down in the next few days to really identify the leak, so if an answer here can prevent unnecessary maintenance/teardown and build; I would greatly appreciate it.

I've owned the bike since 2018, and have only put about 5k miles on it. This is the first issue I've had with the machine. Normal maintenance otherwise. Some contributing factors---Heat has steady been @ or = 110*F; and I've been riding the bike to work approx....300miles a week. Normal care otherwise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not a helpful response.
But appropriate. Where is the oil seal that can get damaged by pulling a couple of tiny "o" rings through it? And if there is an oil seal, why are the "o" rings needed anyway? Just askin'.

The pushrod is seized into the clutch hub on my 900SS and when you dismantle the clutch, the pushrod comes out with the clutch centre.

As happens with LOTS of Dukes.

Been apart MANY times.

But no drama, no oil leaks.

(Installed new "o" rings though. Once. Just in case.)

So?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts