Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped today at a light and could smell something not right about the bike.
Pulled over and shes pissing oil all over the horizontal cylinder head. Motors a mess with oil. Called an told them to come pick her up. I'll let you know what happens. Not a lot of oil but a pretty big mess. Looks like the blow by thing I've read about happening to others. 99 miles in. :mad:

·
Registered
166 Posts
I hadn't heard of any others, but at a couple hundred miles mine developed a leak where the breather hose goes to the bottom of the airbox. the hose was still connected but the clamp broke...there was enough pressure there to spew oil all over the vertical cylinder, clutch cover, etc.

You've heard of this from others?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of the things I've read thus far...

Heres some of the things I have read about the oil problem; I found these in about 5 minutes, probely a few more. And then theres the stalling issue which is even more common. Just three times today once in neutral. This problem is even better documented....

Bad news first:
Skyline was still a little foggy this morning and there were some damp spots in a few corners. I saw them, paid them their due respect and continued on without incident (you all can exhale now!) When I made it to Alice's, I looked over the bike as I wanted to see how dirty the bodywork was after riding a somewhat damp road. I looked at the riders right hand side lower and, lo and behold, dark streaks were coming out from behind the fairing. I rub one off and did the two-finger consistency test. Positive, oil. I looked behind the fairing and noticed that the front (horizontal) cylinder was leaking oil. Not a full-on gusher but a definite leak. I immediately called Modesto Ducati and made an appointment for my 600mi service and for them to fix the oil leak. I continued on to my friends house in Mountain View, grabbed lunch and a little NCAA hoops and rode back up to the city. The oil is not making it to the front tire and the leak appears to be pretty light but none the less, it looks like the gasket/seal problem rears it's ugly head.
Ok have the result........ just had JHP call me, JH himself explained that whilst the bike was ok it was very concerning as to what caused the oil leak. Both the top and bottom pipes to the oil cooler should have two O-Rings, one was missing off the top pipe and one had a part missing on the bottom pipe!!! He suggested I had been very lucky when the leak occured and he has contacted Ducati with his concerns as well as issueing a memo to his staff to now check all bikes for this before they go out! JHP's efforts and genuinely concern have been top notch and the bike is ready complete with new tyre to replace decorated one. It had apparently not actually lost that much oil in the event and so the engine has no damage!
Hi,
After I had my 600mile service on my M1000 two years ago I went for a good run to Inverary and back with wife on board. A glorious run with Sun etc. Got home and started polishing the bike and to my horror found that the oil feed nut where it meets the crankcase was totally loose ie sliding back and forward. The only thing holding the pipe in was the two O'rings. I can imagine what the outcome would have been if the pipe came undone and shot the oil in front especially as we touched speeds of around 110mph. Anyway I tightened it up and reported it to my local dealer. As it's not touched in the service it probably came out the factory that way. Apparently it's not a section they check during the PDI. They reported it to Ducati. It's been fine ever since but I've ordered a 1098s and will be checking before I go for a run.

Geoff
Ok have the result........ just had JHP call me, JH himself explained that whilst the bike was ok it was very concerning as to what caused the oil leak. Both the top and bottom pipes to the oil cooler should have two O-Rings, one was missing off the top pipe and one had a part missing on the bottom pipe!!! He suggested I had been very lucky when the leak occured and he has contacted Ducati with his concerns as well as issueing a memo to his staff to now check all bikes for this before they go out! JHP's efforts and genuinely concern have been top notch and the bike is ready complete with new tyre to replace decorated one. It had apparently not actually lost that much oil in the event and so the engine has no damage!

I had the exact same thing happen to me after my last rebuild on the 748R a year or so ago.

Oil cooler hose not tighened up correctly and once pressure built up the oil came out faster than Stephen Gately!!!!!!!!
i know of a certain race team,whose engine,dumped oil whilst testing in spain,& its totallt standard !,and another one,who on stripping for blueprinting actually found a pebble inside !!!!
I thought the oil was supposed to stay inside the big metal box that makes all the pretty noises?

Big...Heavy...Sigh....

I guess that missing helmet holder cable is the least of my worries now. So my good motorcycling buddy is checking out my bike outside the office when he spots some oil sitting on top of the crankcase. Sure enough it appears to be coming out of what I believe is the breather valve. (See attached image)

Okay all you long term Duc owners, give it to me straight. Is this just the start of an engine that will be doomed to a lifetime of blowby issues, or just par for the course during break-in?

A little history. I'm at just over 300 miles. I never keep the throttle steady, EVER. On the highway I stay between 4500 and 6000 RPM, and just keep banging up and down through the gears from 50 to 106 mph(6th at 6000). The other drivers must think I'm a complete nutcase as I blow past them at over 100 and then moments later they cruise by me as I'm engine breaking on down to 50. So far 150 miles has been doing this on not so flat highway, and the other 150 has been nice, winding mini-mountain roads.

I've only really been over 6000k 4 times. Two of those were from finding false neutrals while upshifting at I believe 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th, both resulted in some very short(less than a half second) revs up to about 8 or 9k. The other two were when passing some folks on some slight uphill where I hit no more than 7500 for however long it takes to go about 35 feet at 80mph. I've never given it more than half throttle.

I think this is a result of bad Karma for my cracks about using only Shell Advance Ultra 4(Sticker that comes on the top of your clutch, for those not fortunate enough to have taken delivery). I'm also sad that the first pic of MY bike on this forum, is a negative one.

My other real question is, even if there is some blowby, why is the oil getting out around the breather? So this goes back to my point made elsewhere about my missing helmet holder cable. It seems that the only way oil should be getting around the breather is if it is missing an o-ring or if they didn't tighten the hose clamp (no grease pencil on it, though I wouldn't expect there to be). Now I'm even more worried about what else might be missing or loose.

Don't get me wrong. I love, love, love, love, love the bike. I don't think I'd really even care if it burned a quart a week and only got 110 hp. I just want to know if it is something I should really be worried about and taking it back to the dealer ASAP, or just wait and finish off the remaining 300 miles and let them evaluate it during its scheduled service? I will be giving them a call tomorrow, but I really value the opinion of those of you who have done this before. This is after all my first Ducati, and my first bike that some previous owner didn't already break-in for me.

I brought my 1098 to the workshp to fit the new slippery clutch, and they found a leakage from the oil cooler.
The new one took a very short time to arrive, and everything now it's ok, but anyway it sucks a bit.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Sure is a lot of problems with these bikes so far... Making me second guess buying one. =[

Jason

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think its a matter of perspective. Out of 100 people say 5 post they had problems but the other 95 dont post how great it is, then all you see is the problems and not the good. However if those 95 did post how great and flawless the bike has been then the 5 that did post wouldnt get as much attention as they are now.

These are new bikes and just like the 999 it will have kinks, just like any new model of anything.

The good thing about hearing about these is that now I know what to look for on mine when I pick it up tomorrow and also I've already told my dealer about what I've read so far.

In fact for the stalling problem since a fix has been to reset/adjust the TPS they have already performed that step on mine before I pick it up. I'll let you know how it goes on my 80 mile ride home.

G

·
1100kms and no leaks yet. hard to start after cutting out if I try and start in gear I'm told it's clutch drag. It does cut out but I'm told after first service it wont. I love it ...
.... yes I love it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hose clamp on breather came loose. I asked them to take care of the stalling problem as well and they did nothing. Stalled on the highway on the way home 80 miles an hour pulled in the clutch to flex my right hand and she cut out. Popped the clutch to fire it back up. Then it stalled a few more times on the way home. I guess its not an issue, well for the tech anyways. BS!

·
Registered
116 Posts
tennine8, that's what you get for pulling in the clutch on the freeway. That's the worst possible thing you can do to the clutch. Maybe you should do some wrist exercises.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really, please explain. Its what I get? It shouldn't be happening at all. It happens 4 to 5 times a ride and Ducati needs to stop "looking into it" and FN do something about it. Glad to hear you have strong wrists maybe you should "look into" finding a girl friend.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Now, now.....we're all gentlemen here. But damn, that was a funny response.

I can forgo the crunches for tonight. thanks!:laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts