Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently my oil filter started leaking at the base when the engine was running (seems relatively normal from what I hear) so I took it off and cleaned everything before reinstalling. No more leak. I'm not sure how long it was happening, so I probably rode it when it was leaking.

The last few weeks I've noticed an oil drip from an area closer to the rear tire, where the voltage regulator is. I took that cover off today and didn't notice anything obvious aside from some dirty muck / oil on the back of the cover (the voltage regulator is dirty, but not completely covered in oil).

I'm thinking the oil from the leaking filter was just blown back on my last ride into the voltage regulator area, and the fins of the regulator kinda 'collected' the oil and it's been slowly dripping out since then. Is that a reasonable assumption? Or is there anything above the voltage regulator that may be leaking?

I left the cover off this past weekend to see if there are any more drips and haven't seen anything new.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If your unsure of the source go to an autoparts store and grab some UV dye...short of that, clean it real good and see if it comes back...I find it unlikely the oil came from someplace other than your oil filter but you never really know

·
Registered
12 Posts
The oil you may not have previously seen & cleaned is what is probably moving rearwards due to air flow. You likely only cleaned the obvious.
I found that the oil filter would sometimes leak at hand tight, even with a good filter tool.
Too loose or too tight & it leaked a little.
When I torqued to the exact 11Nm as on the OEM filter, I got no leak.

That was before I discovered the high oil pressure issue & fixed it.
I expect no leaks now & so far so good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No issues now! No drips in several days after cleaning out the rear cover / voltage regulator area. Now I just have to get my stripped oil drain plug out so I can change the oil.... lol

·
Registered
398 Posts
No issues now! No drips in several days after cleaning out the rear cover / voltage regulator area. Now I just have to get my stripped oil drain plug out so I can change the oil.... lol
Uhg....if you have some shims and a smaller Allen key might work...depending on how round it is now...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uhg....if you have some shims and a smaller Allen key might work...depending on how round it is now...
Very, very round. I tried to drill it out and use an easy out bit but unfortunately that snapped in half... I bought some beefier screw extractor bits that I can put a wrench on and WILL get the plug out this weekend.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
It’s buggered now, use a hammer and cold chisel.. or an AF. Hex key tapped in gently.

Somewhere I read guys were dipping the hex key in oil then sand to make it fit better.. the plugs are shit quality.. or the previous techs are.. 50 cents each way.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Very, very round. I tried to drill it out and use an easy out bit but unfortunately that snapped in half... I bought some beefier screw extractor bits that I can put a wrench on and WILL get the plug out this weekend.
If it's proper mangled...you can also jb weld an Allen key in place...wait...then remove normally... hopefully

·
Registered
29 Posts
The head on my drain plug was stripped out and I took and air hammer with a chisel in it and careful used it to break the drain plug free so I could turn it by hand. Just had to make sure I was only striking the drain plug and not the engine case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Ps.... make sure you go the correct direction.. use a marker once you figure it out.

You could gently heat the case around it then cold spray (chemist shop) the plug and try it immediately

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the plug came out successfully! I ended up buying a more robust bolt extractor set that I could put a socket on and get the plug out. Cutting a notch in the drain plug and using a flathead didn't work, nor did hammering a screwdriver counterclockwise. I replaced the drain plug with a fumoto valve to ensure I'll never have this problem again.

Also after replacing the oil filter with K&N there are no more oil drips. It helps tremendously having a nut on the end of the filter to make it super easy to torque down properly (hand tight + 3/4 turn)

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Please make that the last K&N filter you ever buy. They are illegal in racing because they leak. HiFlo is inexpensive but really good. Never had a leak.
My first dealer serviced oil change leaked...I blame user error above all else in regards to oil filters leaking...granted an earlier thin walled design sullied their reputation...there's numerous tear down videos on YouTube...it's a solid filter as good as any others

I've never had any luck either grooving a stuck bolt to remove with a flat head screwdriver...glad you got it out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the drain plug with a fumoto valve to ensure I'll never have this problem again.
I wouldn't have anything that sticks out more than the OEM drain plug, it will be just begging to get snapped off in the under sump location.
Personally I just can't get it that anyone can strip the hex key slot in this plug. It's only specked at 20Nm, if you can't get it right, get a properly calibrated Torque wrench so it can't happen.
I've had the sump plug out of the wife's 821, many more times than the average road rider, due to short oil change intervals for track use, with no problems.

Please make that the last K&N filter you ever buy. They are illegal in racing because they leak. HiFlo is inexpensive but really good. Never had a leak.
+1 Totally agree, many reports of blown K&N oil filters & yes they have been banned at some race tracks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally I just can't get it that anyone can strip the hex key slot in this plug. It's only specked at 20Nm, if you can't get it right, get a properly calibrated Torque wrench so it can't happen.
I've had the sump plug out of the wife's 821, many more times than the average road rider, due to short oil change intervals for track use, with no problems.
Yet it happens to countless people. Using a 5mm hex head (even torqued to only 15ft-lbs) is stupid. I've never had a drain plug with that low of a torque requirement let alone one that is so malleable. Why Ducati didn't just use a regular 14mm (or whatever) plug is just mind boggling-ly stupid and beyond explanation.

Also, I've never come anywhere near scraping my engine on anything on the road so I'm not sure why I should be worried about something hitting the new oil drain valve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also, I've never come anywhere near scraping my engine on anything on the road so I'm not sure why I should be worried about something hitting the new oil drain valve.
It's not about scraping your engine, although some aggressive speed humps may go closer than you think.
It's just that the sump plug is in the path of debris (stones, sticks, etc) that get thrown back & up by the front tyre.

If you're comfortable with it then all is good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok now I'm officially perplexed. Came home today and noticed a drop of oil under the bike again. Same spot, voltage regulator cover. The bike hasn't moved since I changed the oil and has been on the kickstand the entire time. Strangely enough, the top of the voltage regulator isn't wet at all so I have no idea where this could be coming from

Correction: connectors on the voltage regulator are soaked. About a half teaspoon came out of the gray connector when I unplugged it. This is probably just leftover mess that I forgot to clean before changing the oil.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
There was a lot of discussion about this here in the past about this I believe.
Talk about oil wicking through the harness to the outside.

Can't remember the details sorry. Try a search relating to a user named Eltwin perhaps??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There was a lot of discussion about this here in the past about this I believe.
Talk about oil wicking through the harness to the outside.

Can't remember the details sorry. Try a search relating to a user named Eltwin perhaps??
Whoa, didn't know this was a thing. Very interesting... I'll have to pop the harness cover off on the side of the bike and see if the harness is saturated there as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts