Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing oil and running it for a few minutes is the oil supposed to be between the marks with engine running or off?

With engine off the level is between marks, with engine on its below the low mark.

Bike is level on front and rear stands.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Yep. Run the engine to circulate the new oil and shut off and check the level after a few minutes.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
To avoid disagreement on this I always measured the oil level in a set way, as I was always doing other people's bikes.

So I check the vertical alignment of the bike by placing a spirit level against the side of the rear wheel, and adjusting if necessary. My oil-changing area is gravel, so the bike could be aligned with just a jiggle, or a movement of the steering.

Then I ran the engine, switched it off and waited exactly one minute before checking the level just reached the upper mark - not a drop more.

Of course this sounds a bit pedantic, but if you have had people ring you back to say "So and so reckons you over/under-filled my oil" you can appreciate the need for a 'standard' method.

Worth getting right.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Worth getting right and being that precise makes it easier to spot engine oil usage problems if you start with an exact amount. Some people might consider it a bit excessive but I like to know about things like oil consumption.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Exactly. That is the advance that the oil window represents.

It allows you to see the level and colour of the oil without any work.

No dipstick, no rag, no oily fingers when you want to put your gloves on and go for a ride..

But mine has never used a measurable amount of oil in quite a long mileage.

Hopefully you are the same at your advanced mileage [email protected]

Nice to have a hot-to-death twin that goes like that, does high miles, and doesn't even use any oil!

Tell that to the old people of today - they won't believe you..

;)

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Francesca hasn't used a drop in all it's time. I worked with a mechanic who wouldn't believe that it didn't use a drop so I had him change the oil himself, he filled it perfectly to the line and marked down the K's then I brought it back to him at 5000K and he changed the oil and checked the level and sure enough, it was just as full as when he filled it up for me last time.

It didn't take the full 3.8L so I left the remainder with him so he would know I wasn't topping it up from the shop. I tend to do my own oil changes but I let him that time just to prove my point.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
I put my bike on the front and rear stand then fill to the top line.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Francesca hasn't used a drop in all it's time. I worked with a mechanic who wouldn't believe that it didn't use a drop so I had him change the oil himself, he filled it perfectly to the line and marked down the K's then I brought it back to him at 5000K and he changed the oil and checked the level and sure enough, it was just as full as when he filled it up for me last time.

It didn't take the full 3.8L so I left the remainder with him so he would know I wasn't topping it up from the shop. I tend to do my own oil changes but I let him that time just to prove my point.
The one time I thought I was burning oil I had forgotten to top off at the line after warm up! Next oil change I was freaking out!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Oil level should be measured when the engine is cold because that's when the most oil is in the sump. After running, there is a lot of captured oil within the heads and high pressure lines, which eventually drains a bit. You can see dramatic changes in oil level from hot to cold, so it's far better to measure cold then hot. Same goes for oil changes, if you wish to get ALL the oil out.

On the deep sump bikes, when the engine is cold and bike is upright, if you can see the oil level between the two marks, you're fine. The engines actually prefer a slightly lower oil level due to crank case pressures and the crank balancing weight slamming into the oil bath constantly.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
I think it's important to note you need to run the bike after the oil change so it all gets to where it need to get, then recheck it when it cools down, and top off.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I was told by Troy Corser's WSBK engine mechanic to maintain the oil level closer to the bottom mark than the top one. Done as Pat has written of course

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
I was told by Troy Corser's WSBK engine mechanic to maintain the oil level closer to the bottom mark than the top one. Done as Pat has written of course
Did he say why?

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Read my post above. It's pretty common knowledge in the racing world.
Thanks but I want his reply not yours.

Regards

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
The race guys want the oil level lower so no chance of the crank having to plough through the oil during rotation. Helps keep parasitic power loss down. That being said......WSBK mechanics tend to know their engines inside and out and the average weekend warrior doesn't. If something starts going funny on a WSBK engine, it gets noticed generally right away. Something going funny on a weekend warriors bike might not and cause serious problems.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Yep Pat, I got that from Tyes original post. Just wanting to know if there was any other explanation specific from him.

I've always known about the dangers of over filling an engine, so additional to the crank bath I was wondering if the happen to ask the mechanic why? Personally I'd rather have a cushion of fluid that's why I've always put it on the hi side hp loss be damned.
Car, bike I've always been taught to fill to line but don't over fill.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Less drag is one advantage , but he said if you go for the max level and more it will end up in the air box . ( It is one of his bug bears , he is a bit of a cranky old bugger . To be honest one would think anywhere between the 2 lines will be ok .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts