Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I just recently bought my first ducati. Its a sport1000.. I want to order an open clutch cover as it has a dry clutch.

I wanted to find out how much louder does the noise of the clutch gets. Is it a significant change (waking up the neighbours level lol) or just a noticable change?

Furthermore, I am concerned about the dust that will enter the clutch, the debri that might enter and water that will enter the clutch. How bad will it be for each of these concerns and how can one protect the bike from these natural hazards?

Any and every input will be greatly appreciated!! and if there are any other factors i should be aware of, please do let me know!

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only way you can really protect it from all of those variables is to not get an open clutch cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Ducati.org Forum

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
The concern is less about dust getting IN as dust getting OUT.

The open cover helps the clutch to disperse the dust that accumulates in the case. This dust can eventually cause some grabbing issues.

Of course the open cover also helps the clutch to run cooler, if you are slipping it much.

When you wash the bike, just sticky-tape a plastic bag over the cover to prevent too much water getting in. The bit of moisture that gets in if you ride in the rain won't be significant.

If the bike has been unavoidably left parked in the rain, make sure it is ridden before storage, to avoid rust occurring.

The clutch will make a little more noise with the open cover, depending on how much wear there is.

The aluminium dry clutches need the basket (outer) and friction plates replacing around the 30,000 kms (18,000 mi) mark, as the tags of the plates and the slots in the basket will have too much clearance, giving the loud rattling sound when the bike is running in neutral.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information Pat1098, it was really helpful! I think I will go for the open clutch cover for my bike! :)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Share the music freely

1 - 6 of 6 Posts