Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2004 999 and am considering putting together a kit of extra parts in case I get stranded somewhere. I have been known to take long trips sometimes and figured it would help me get back on the road should a typical failure happen if I carried some spares. You never know when things are going to break and this way I shouldn't be stranded long provided its something common. I could throw up some things Ive read about but figured some of you long time owners might have a more realistic list of parts that are more common.

Im thinking the list should be something like:
clutch parts (dont know how old mine is)
various sensors (crank position, ...)
red key (or all keys)
alternator parts (not all that common)

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 999 family doesn’t allow for any storage so anything you take, you must take on you (unless you have a bag rack – different story). I approached this issue many years ago with one core assumption and that is that I always maintain the bike in good serviceable condition (annual service by dealer and then general stuff like battery connections clean, general electrical once over etc.)

With this basic assumption, if something does go “bang” mechanically, easier to carry your local shops phone number or your roadside assist’s number! With this in mind, I have a simple kit made up of the following;

· Hand levers (break & clutch)
· Gear lever (can make it without foot break so save carrying the space/weight)
· Puncture kit (inc. compact hand pump)
· Duct tape and electrical zip ties
· Small container of various nuts, bolts, washers, clips and thread locker
· Basic hand tools (screwdriver, shifter, hex keys, pliers & cutters)
· Basic first aid kit (band aids, alcohol wipes etc.)

As you can see, sticking by my original assumption, this kit is more tailored towards an off at low speed or (as has happened to me) the bike being knocked over in car parks or (also happened to me) you park your bike on bitumen only laid days earlier to get a bite to eat and return to find the bike on its side with the stand in the ground (that sucked big time…and left my without a clutch lever 130km from home, hence the levers in my kit).

While it sounds like a lot of stuff, it all fits (snuggly) into my backpack. With a bit of looking around the auto spares shops, you can always find a mini this and a mini that which all do the job on the road side (trust me). The best advice I can give is that container with the nuts and bolts etc, check your bike over and ensure you have the right stuff! For example, do you have the spare c-clips that hold the lever pivot bolt in place? Do you have a spare fastener or two for your fairings? That sort of stuff….

Hope this helps J

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Get AAA RV insurance, up to 200 miles of towing. That's the best "kit" you can have.

When I was heavily racing and burning through parts like water, there wasn't any way to carry enough parts in my race van. I'd always forget something and it was always something important. If you pack the kitchen sink for each ride, whatever you didn't pack, is what you'll need. This is why long-distance touring bikes have provisions for saddle bags. That's where you keep the "contingency plan" and most of the time it's a cell phone and a call to AAA. It's rare on a long trip you will be 200 miles away from any civilization and if you planned on doing that, you'd for sure need travel insurance!

I've talked with many people over the years who've been stuck at hotels for a day or two, waiting for parts to arrive on long distance trips hundreds of miles between Ducati shops. Get the bike towed to the hotel and order the parts.

But if you aren't doing super long distance stuff, forgetaboutit. Get AAA RV insurance and don't even sweat. I wouldn't ride without it! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
To quote Johnny999S above "always maintain the bike in good serviceable condition." That's about as sound a piece of advice as you'll get.
I've got over 75,000km's on my 853 kitted 748. Many of those k's have been on long touring trips and weekends away but just as many commuting to work, doing trackdays and just "riding around".
It's always been as reliable as a Honda and has NEVER had to ride home in the back of a van. I only ever carry my phone, sunglasses and a stubby holder.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Call the number on the back of your Ducati Roadside Card and you will get free towing up to 50 miles anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know you cant carry everything you could possibly need I just like to be as prepared as I can be when Im far from home with at least some of the more common necessities. Thanks for all the input guys its been really helpful. When I get my kit together Ill post it up here. Got a few things to do the bike before the winter ends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.