Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, anyone order gear, in this case helmet, from Europe to the US ? Big hassle or no big deal ?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I just ordered from Europe and got my dainese axial pro ins for about $200 less than in the U.S. Shipping is a little more expensive and takes a bit longer but I would do it again.

·
Administrator
2,963 Posts
I'd make sure about helmet certifications first. Back in the day, my AGV rep wanted to give me a helmet to race with, but couldn't because the one he had didn't have DOT certification...only ECE. It was their best helmet, and stacked up well against the Shoei's of the day, IMHO, but the lack of DOT/Snell would've prevented me from ever using it, even on the street. WERA has since changed the rules to accept the ECE standard for the track; but if it hasn't been submitted to DOT, it's gonna be a problem for you.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'd make sure about helmet certifications first. Back in the day, my AGV rep wanted to give me a helmet to race with, but couldn't because the one he had didn't have DOT certification...only ECE. It was their best helmet, and stacked up well against the Shoei's of the day, IMHO, but the lack of DOT/Snell would've prevented me from ever using it, even on the street. WERA has since changed the rules to accept the ECE standard for the track; but if it hasn't been submitted to DOT, it's gonna be a problem for you.

This is a good point. It depends where you are buying from
In the UK it will have to have passed BS 6658:1985 standard.

stickers are:

Red sticker – Type A/FR: Used for helmets with a fire-resistant lining (normally used in car racing)

Blue sticker – Type A: Used for high-performance helmets offering a better level of protection

Green sticker – Type B: Used for lower-rated helmets.

All of which are higher than DOT standard.

From Europe it must be ECE22.05 or ECER22.05 which is the equivalent of DOT standard.

Bikes in the UK may also come with an ACU ( the UK equivalent of your AMA) gold standard sticker meaning it is suitable for racing. Those are the ones we buy. BS Standard type A ACU Gold. That's a higher standard test than DOT or SNELL.

It really should not matter. Helmets don't change per market. If you buy an RX7GP in the US it's the same as the one you buy in the UK. Only the tests it has to pass are different, ours being more rigorous. So it's down to the manufacture. If it's an obscure cheap helmet then stay away. If it's a shark, AVG, Arai etc that you know has passed DOT in the US then the same one from the UK will be exactly that, the same, except that it has been certified to more stringent parameters.

If you want to buy in Europe there are probably members here that can buy in store and post via a courier collection service that you arrange marking the item as a gift so as to avoid duty. That requires a certain level of trust because you have to pay up first.

If you would like to know the safety specifications of helmets sold in the UK then check here. Ours is a legal requirement, not an industry test.

SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Yes - I was going to make a similar point. In this country we can't allow riders on the track without the appropriate sticker (even though it is an identical helmet).

We have struck this with riders who had brought helmets in from overseas. We can't allow them onto the track as the track owners (and their insurers) will only sue us if it all goes wrong. And they get pretty upset..

Probably worth contacting whoever runs any track time you take part in to clarify that one. And if you only ride on the road, you might benefit from asking a few questions of your state's road authority.

Of course this stuff only becomes crucial in the case of an accident, but stakes could get pretty high if that happened.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Yes - I was going to make a similar point. In this country we can't allow riders on the track without the appropriate sticker (even though it is an identical helmet).

We have struck this with riders who had brought helmets in from overseas. We can't allow them onto the track as the track owners (and their insurers) will only sue us if it all goes wrong. And they get pretty upset..

Probably worth contacting whoever runs any track time you take part in to clarify that one. And if you only ride on the road, you might benefit from asking a few questions of your state's road authority.

Of course this stuff only becomes crucial in the case of an accident, but stakes could get pretty high if that happened.
I wonder how this will go now that QLD no longer requires AS1698 for road use? Changed in February...

It's also a little funny that other motorsport, Rally and road race do not require AS1698 and haven't for a number of years now.

jus musin'

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I wasn't aware of that change. Unfortunately Phillip Island require helmets to have an Australian Standards sticker.

But most of the participants in 'our' trackdays come from SA, Vic and NSW.

So the OP should clarify these issues before sending the $$.

And of course Australia gets the good colour schemes - we keep producing champions..

:D

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Mark wasnt from Aus ... He was born in Indonesia however his brother Mick was born in Aus ..

Hope this clears up your confusion

·
Registered
138 Posts
Got an arai from motocard (based in Spain I think?). Last chance to get last years IOMTT graphic in my size and decided I would never forgive myself if I didn't spring for it. Had it shipped to US, cost $20 extra or so for duties and got through customs in a day and a half. No DOT sticker of course but no damage and completely satisfied. I made sure I was ordering from a European equivalent to motorcycle superstore because I figured I might have more options and a better chance for recourse in case something went wrong with the order but thankfully, that didn't happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.