Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my girl are taking our first trip (about 2 hours away from home) and we were going to stay overnight at a cheap motel. I've had a bike stolen last year outside my condo so i'm extra paranoid about bike theft. Wondering what you guys do for bike safety while staying overnight places. Any tips or advice? I was going to buy a xena disc lock but i'm open to other suggestions.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Two or three people can easily lift a motorcycle and put it in the back of a pickup truck, locks and all.

The only thing you can do is buy one of those un-cuttable chains (which require a torch) and chain it to something super strong at the hotel. Then, simply put a cover on it so its "out of sight". Some covers even have lock options, so the would be thieves would have to pull it off.

Most motel's won't let you bring a bike in anyway, plus the Multi most likely, won't fit through the door. :(

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. The bike is a monster 1200. Def not trucking a heavy ass chain along with other luggage although I wish I could. Maybe I can ask to park the bike up front near the lobby in clear view, and lighted area.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe its a motel 6 we're staying at, and not sure if rooms are all accessible right outside like it would need.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Ask for a room on the backside, out of sight from the main road, lower level. Bring it into the room or park it right in front of your window.

·
Registered
226 Posts
When I traveled down to Indy I left my bike in front of the motel on the sidewalk. Turns out a guy parked his zx10 in the rear of the building and someone tried to steal it. Ended up not being able to get on the truck and dumped it in a ditch.

Do not park it in the rear of the building out of site.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the front desk people usually cool about "watching out" for the bike? Letting you park it near the main entrance in sight? That would be my concern... them being douches about it and saying I can't.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fact of the matter is that the best way is to park it in sight, in the light. Pack a flathead or Allen key and when you're packing it in for the night take off the clutch lever and take it with you. Serious bike thieves don't carry your bike away they ride it away. Someone who's a pro at jacking bikes isn't scared of lights because most people can walk by someone hotwiring a bike and not realize what's going on. Amateur thieves are scared of lights because picking a bike up and putting it in a van, that's obvious theft, they cant be seen. A professional motorcycle thief wont risk getting caught by taking a motorcycle thats easy to escape the cops on, and put it in a van thats impossible to escape in. Conclusion: remove the clutch lever to deter real thieves (you're only staying one night, right?) , put it in plain sight for the junkies with vans. Have fun.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Have always parked my bike right outside my front door. Complete with cover and a Xina alarm. Attached it to my friends bike with a heavy duty cable. Never had a problem for many years. Touch wood.
Hope I have not jinxed myself.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My husband and I do lots of overnight trips. We try to stay in nicer hotels and make sure the bikes are in a well lit area near the entrance. Place it in gear. Lock the steering head and hope for the best. At some point, if they are really determined, they will figure a way out. We just got back from a 3 day in WV and the hotel in Elkins is bike friendly and the workers do walks around the lot at night.

The clutch lever idea is pretty darn interesting.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya unfortunately this will be at a motel 6, so not much in terms of service from the staff lol.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Are the front desk people usually cool about "watching out" for the bike? Letting you park it near the main entrance in sight? That would be my concern... them being douches about it and saying I can't.
Yeah they were cool about it. At the end of the day they have a camera and enough traffic to scare potential thief. Ask them first, but they should be. A bit of peace of mind.

Reactions: ejewels

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
Insure it and park it either right in front of your room or as others have mentioned, in front of the check-in lobby. Most hotels will allow it. Actually, I haven't come across one that wouldn't allow it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree, I've never had a motel clerk say no when I asked if I could park it almost in the front door.
And I've stayed in a lot of the "less expensive" motels...

·
Administrator
2,888 Posts
Insure it and park it either right in front of your room or as others have mentioned, in front of the check-in lobby. Most hotels will allow it. Actually, I haven't come across one that wouldn't allow it.
I stopped in Charlotte once, on the way to Boston, in a driving rainstorm on a NASCAR weekend. Bad combo. The only hotel that even had a room insisted....yes INSISTED....that I park my bike IN THE LOBBY. They even helped me wriggle it through the front door! Kudos to Microtel Inns of Charlotte, NC.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Nice story. We don't have as much of that problem here - at least not in the bush where I tend to travel. But I did have a bike stolen in 1971 when I lived in Sydney. Ruined my year that did.

I just carry a not-too-heavy chain and padlock, and chain it to something immovable. And stay in small towns, with hotels run by friendly people.

I stayed in just such a place in Lockhart, central NSW a couple of years ago. The Harley-riding publican, whose bike was also parked out the front of the hotel near mine (promoting the pro-biker slant) insisted I ride in behind him.

A quick drag around to the back, in through an open door, into the middle of an open room facing the door of mine. A bit incongruous, the Ducati in that setting.

Wasn't getting stolen from there.

;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts