Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experiencing paint discoloration on the SL? I have 4 or 5 penny to quarter size spots where the color is changed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES. I am going through this right now. Are they darker/brownish in color? Almost like a burn or a stain?

I tried to capture the issue, but the SL paint is tricky to photograph:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1038...s/6025924639226843249?authkey=CJ78nZiQyKaJgwE
Absolutely! They are exactly the same as your pics. Have you contacted anyone? I have not seen anything on this. I did hear that the owner of GoAz [Bob Parsons] in Scottsdale, Az. repainted the whole bike due to this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had similar experience. Leaving the bike in the sun for a bit seems to help.
I have left my SL in the AZ. sun for most of the day today, and the spots have become less visible. In fact a couple of them I cannot see any longer.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yes, this happen to me several weeks ago. the bike was like 2-3 days old and had some bug juice/dirt on the bike. I cleaned it off with a Honda polish type cleaner, the next day I noticed the same thing, darker spots here and there.

The dealer saw it and had a replacement gas tank in like 2-3 days (!)
But after sitting in the sun for a few hours it went away… ?
This only happens on my gas tank, no where else on the bike, same with you other guys ?
Anyway, I decided not to replace the tank just yet. and the dealer is nice enough to just keep the other tank on standby, just in case.

It has happened again since then. and again faded back to normal after some direct sunlight, Weird !
One SL owner I met said he had heard the dealers had a bulletin regarding the paint, and something about letting each unit sit-out in the sun for several hours… No verification on that…

That's some special paint !
my # is 146)

·
Registered
575 Posts
On a side-note,
my friend PanterDude (at Finishingtouch, Montery, Ca.) was wondering how Ducati pulled-off this paint job (color) in the first place.
Apparently, that color, (day-glow orange/red) or any day-glow/neon type color is very susceptible to premature fading.
He was impressed…..
Time will tell. :nerd:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
On a side-note,
my friend PanterDude ( http://www.********************* ) was wondering how Ducati pulled-off this paint job (color) in the first place.
Apparently, that color, (day-glow orange/red) or any day-glow/neon type color is very susceptible to premature fading.
He was impressed…..
Time will tell. :nerd:
linkie no workie

·
Registered
128 Posts
Paint

Yes Sedici. That is exactly what happened with my front fairing. Bug hit on the ride. Cleaned it off when I got home and left dark splotch. The next day it was gone. It was like the paint healed itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took delivery of bike 364 a month ago today. I too have paint problems as described in this thread. I've lodged a complaint with my dealer; initial feedback from Ducati GB is that I should park it in direct sunlight and the brown spots will fade to nothing after a few hours. Not a very practical fix, I'll see how it goes but will likely pursue a warranty claim. Ducati GB have a bike that they're running in for a celeb client and this bike has the same problem, so it's a known issue. Incidentally, a couple of people have referred to paint issues on the D-16. Mine has a brown spot on the tank, so it's not related to carbon panels as suggested by someone. And the two paint schemes are worlds apart in any case. I'll update it's and when.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Answer to spot check from Ducati

Hi All,
Ducati recommends placing the SL in the sun and rotating it every 45 minutes. That should clear any spots up - I've personally seen it work and clear up those spots on the tail and tank areas of a SL.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi All,
Ducati recommends placing the SL in the sun and rotating it every 45 minutes. That should clear any spots up - I've personally seen it work and clear up those spots on the tail and tank areas of a SL.
I had the same issue after riding from Az to Mn and back to Az. The bug accumulation was huge [even though I did clean them off everyday] and I had 10-12 brown spots on the upper fairing and tank. I placed the bike in the direct sunlight, rotating every hour for 6 hours and they were gone. They have not returned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts