Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I saw my neighbors 996 way back in the 90's , I immediately fell in love with Ducati. I have owned several Ducati models but somehow I still want to own a Ducati 996.

Now there are several of the late 90's Ducati model in my area and I would like to ask the following questions

1. What is the difference between a 996 and a 998? 2cc's of displacement?

2. Is it true that these models are problematic? there is a dealer in my area and they can order parts , will the bike run ok as long as it is properly maintained?

3. what glitches do I have to look out for?

4. any of you still use your bike on a weekly basis?

·
Registered
352 Posts
The 998 has the testastretta motor which doesnt suffer the same problems that the desmoquatro motor of the 996, ie flaking rockers, galley plug that backs out etc. The testa motor has 10 hp over the desmo and is a better motor generally. If you can find a 998s in the PI it will have another 15hp on top of the base 998 as well. Has your SL arrived yet?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 998 has the testastretta motor which doesnt suffer the same problems that the desmoquatro motor of the 996, ie flaking rockers, galley plug that backs out etc. The testa motor has 10 hp over the desmo and is a better motor generally. If you can find a 998s in the PI it will have another 15hp on top of the base 998 as well. Has your SL arrived yet?
Nope the SL has not arrived yet. the dealer did promise me that it will arrive in August. Since the SL will just be a garage queen, I want to have another bike and I have always loved the 916-998 series. even beside modern Ducati's, it is still a head turner. thankyou on the feedback. because of your post I will just concentrate on looking at 998's

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree on the 998, its the right way to go with that body style.

OR…

If you want something different, 748R.
There is a 748r for sale in my area but it has suffered a major hit and the welds is no longer original from the factory. Why do you recommend the 748r?

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
There is a 748r for sale in my area but it has suffered a major hit and the welds is no longer original from the factory. Why do you recommend the 748r?
Well, I never recommend the 748R because they require some money to make reliable. However, since you can afford an SL, the price of fixing a 748R is peanuts in comparison. A good reliable 748R is a very unique bike because of its racey power delivery and higher revving motor. I absolutely love that motor, but you would need to put about $3k into it, replacing all the rocker arms and collets, no matter what year or how much service has been done.

I just figured since you like unique bikes, the 748R maybe something you'd like in your stable. Plus, if you own it, at least there will be one more not going to the junk yard once people can't afford to fix it anymore. :(

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
The 998 has the testastretta motor which doesnt suffer the same problems that the desmoquatro motor of the 996, ie flaking rockers, galley plug that backs out etc. The testa motor has 10 hp over the desmo and is a better motor generally. If you can find a 998s in the PI it will have another 15hp on top of the base 998 as well. QUOTE]

+1

I have a 996R which is basically the same motor.
I like it much better than the 916, 916SP and 996 that I had before.

-M

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I for one love the stock look. I want it clean with just the 998 or the 996 logo and the words testastretta or desmoquattro is written underneath. are you selling that? is that bike in the PI? I went to a seller four days ago , the engine was warm but when I tried to crank it, it just won't start. will come back in a few days and see how it goes

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes, in Pampanga. It is originally a Euro Bostrom 998s, #142/155. The best of the 5 Ducati's I have owned, easily. I hated the captain America graphics. Have been here 9 years and have never seen another 998s either in the flesh or for sale. There are a few 998 around and they are still a better bike than the 996. I'm looking for a 1098r and will sell this.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Umm, thats a no brainer, awesome bike that 998 is! :)
Hi Tye, what do you think happened on my supposed test ride. the engine is warm as the owner said he just warmed up the engine and was very confident it would start, but when I cranked it, it did not start?

I want to know to make sure it will not happen to me during a ride or something

1 - 14 of 14 Posts