Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I am maybe possibly thinking of moving to a Panigale from my 848. I know lots of you have done it and I've been preening from the forum what impressions I can.

I have a friend that went from R1 to Panigale base and despite saying its much harder to ride after 3-4 months now has nothing but good things to say about the upgrade.

I have heard some say the base model is better as it doesnt have as many electronic wizardary on it but then I've heard others say the S is a far superior bike.

At the risk of opening an old wound/discussion - what are your thoughts ?

Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you are thinking of modifying it, get the base. If you want something as it is, get the S because the Ohlins and the lightweight wheels really make the bike go nicely. Source: I have an S.
I also moved up from 848.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The difference is basically suspension, wheels, and $5K roughly.

Test drive them and see which one suits you best -

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the replies - I know this argument has been done to death. Apologies. Frosty, I read your thread with great interest - epic trip.
I was particularly interested in the feedback from guys that had made the 848/Pani jump so thank you Marmoot.
Im having a test of an S today - lets see shall we.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How did it go? I would agree with the above if you are going to modify the suspension components then go with the base and build up. But if you want a decent out of the box solution then go with the S.

I had an 848 evo then went 1199S

·
Registered
239 Posts

Have you had the opportunity to test ride one? The dealer talked me in to test riding on while I was having my 848EVO serviced. I immediately fell in love. I'll have tons of feedback about the transition in a couple of months, but until then I've just got that first impression - which was amazing.

I'll be leaving on the trip in just about 2 months now. If you'd like to keep you can do the facebook thing :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Compared to 848, on the track panigale handles better than the 848, both through fast corners as well as slow tight corners. We have done back-to-back tests and found that panigale handling is comparable to cbr600rr, and to some extent even cbr400rr.
My brother who owns the cbr600rr (2012) hated the 848 despite it having revalved front forks and ttx36 ohlins rear suspension, but felt instantly at home on the panigale he scored quite respectable laptime during the first session ever.
On the road, the panigale is almost as easy to ride as japanese bikes.
The panigale slightly lacks in midrange, which means it feels a bit different than the normal ducati. You can notice this, but coming from 848 it still pumps out more torque and hp in that "thin midrange" so no complaints from me.
Reliability: i've had mine for 8mth doing 8k kms, and so far I am blessed with no issue. Unlike 2 burnt voltage regulator during my first year with the 848, plus melt headlight plug, broken footpeg tab, 2 more burnt voltage regulators, leaking radiator around the mount due to bad design, and a few more little annoying issues in later years I owned it.
Panigale's strongest weakness is the tyres. The oem supercorsa sp only lasts around 4 to 6 trackdays. That's about 2-3 months in my life.
The wife misses 848 looks. Personally, I am half-half not sure which I like better in terms of looks.
The electronics (TC and ABS) allows me to do things that I never thought of. They are lifechanging.
I do miss DP superpole seat hugely, though. It is the best sport seat in the world and Panigale doesn't have anything like it (I tried stock seat and am currently using comfort seat).

·
Registered
511 Posts
The move to the Pani S was the only option for me since I has the LED lights and electronic settings and upgraded suspension bits.
A good argument can be made for the notion of a base model and then upgrading everything, but after another 10k you have a Pani that when you try and sell, is still just considered a base.
My 848 had all kinds of goodies as well, and it was not even close to what this machine is capable of.
Lots of folks have had fork issues with the base due to air bladders or some other deal. Over all the Pani is the way to go.

Reactions: Marmoot

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im back on this wagon again. Looking to sell my 848 and make the move I think. I had a test ride 1199s - a while ago and while I was loving the quick shifter and the gearbox was just on a different planet I wasnt left feeling as if I HAD to have one.
Spent the weekend at the track with some mates who all have 1199 or 1199s and I think Im sold.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ok, here is my 2 cents as a street rider, track day rider. My last 2 bikes were a 998, 1198 and I own a 1199 base, and a Monster 620. I would say wait and get a 1299 base or wait till next year and get a carry over 1199S for base prices. The Ohlins suspension is cool but not really necessary for the street and looks kinda sketchy like it wouldn't hold up well (mainly wheelies) and cost a fortune to fix (say if you keep it after warranty). It does have bling factor but you really won't notice it unless you are a very fast rider on the streets. However with that being said I'm going to buy a 1299S when my odo hits 20,000 so yeah that's counterintuitive thinking. Either one is awesome.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Currently riding a 1098S, but I have demoed the 1199S and 899. I will add this; if you haven't at least tried out the 899 you're doing yourself an injustice. Its a great bike; good street manners and I think you'd have to be very fast to feel like you're riding past its potential on the track.
I personally think the 1199 is better looking in the dark stealth with the SSSA, but that's my color. I am constantly torn between dumping more upgrades into my 1098, and trading it in on a Pani...but I can't decide which one. YMMV, but at least try out the 899.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Merry christmas to you, buying a Ducati panigale S is the best gift you'll ever bougth yourself, I also signed for a 2013 panigale S last week, so I will have a great gift also.

·
Registered
938 Posts
both are awesome bikes and certainly would be an upgrade to your 848. if you have the extra cash get the S

1 - 19 of 19 Posts