Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,
Thinking about getting a Panigale R, but on the fence about waiting to see what Ducati pulls out of the hat for 17. Hearing the rumors about the v4 that is in the works.. Don't want to take a complete waxing on a 35k bike because I couldn't wait... Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I would do neither...wait until 2018...I hear it will be even better then...although...the 2019 Panigale will have even better features...albeit you might be too close to the 2020 one which will be a revolutionary bike...

Bottom line...there will always be something better coming out...and most of the advancements really don't for the average rider...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2016 R and as stated above they have sorted out the problems from the 2015 from what I have heard and experienced.
I can't imagine the R being better than what it is and for sure I would not want a first generation new bike.
Why not buy the R this year and then buy the new version in two years after they sort out the problems it will surely have.

·
Registered
63 Posts
None . Get the R if they stop producing a twin cylinder bike it will be a instant collectors item being the final L twin .

That was kind of my point of asking the question of spotswood02. I have a 2015 Panigale R

No sorting out issues with mine...

Looking at a parts list the 2016 is exactly like the 2015 right down to the paint design.

·
Banned
133 Posts
It's true that next year's bike will always be better, so if you follow that logic you'd wait an eternity for the best bike.
But it sucks to buy this years model only to find out months later that next year's model will be all new. Happened to me twice (M695 and 848 EVO) Although with the 848 I did kind of know a new model was coming out as the panigale 1199 was already out.
Last year I was trying to snatch a 1299 demo, but I was too late and this years demo will only be sold in August; but this time I'm not falling for it. I'm betting next year's superbike will be a completely new model (not a minor update like the 1199/1299 upgrade). The question is when will they announce it; fall 2016 or winter/spring 2017?

On the other hand they may just make a V4 in 2018 and keep the V2 panigale as a separate model. Who knows ,-)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ramsey,

My good friend who used to track a Ducati up in New Hampshire knows the head guy at Ohlins and some super wrench named Bruce up there.
He was talking to them when I was buying my 2016 and they informed him that there were a few minor issues with the 2015 R that were sorted out on the 2016.
Sorry I did not get the list of items as I did not want to be buying a 2015 that had been sitting in a crate at the warehouse all year to save 2K. I elected to get a 2016 that had just arrived. If the savings had been more I would have considered it but after it was all done was when my friend told me about the few bugs that had been worked out with the computer I think.
Anyway, I think there may be no difference. I still had to rip the charcoal canister off mine to solve the starting problem after shutting it down.
Other than that it has been fantastic and I will never sell this one for sure.
Good luck with yours.
Gary

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ducati is too proud of their heritage to go V4. Outside of the Desmosedici, have they ever built a v4 engine? I would love for Ducati to make a V4. I love the Ducati look but I love the Aprilia sound more. If only I could combine the two. Claudio Domenicali has gone out and publicly denied the idea of a V4 anyways but I do suspect a new model next year. Cant wait!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
2017 V4 .. possible

Forced induction.. very possible ;)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
What problems did the 2015 Panigale R have?

They burn more oil with fewer piston rings which some people complain about. That's all the R bikes though. Oil leakage is the number one service concern. You may not see it if your bike is just used for street riding but every 1199R I've seen at the track(including mine), has either had valvecover leaks or the tube in the airbox. Covered under warranty but run that bike hard and you can be sure of it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ducati is too proud of their heritage to go V4. Outside of the Desmosedici, have they ever built a v4 engine? I would love for Ducati to make a V4. I love the Ducati look but I love the Aprilia sound more. If only I could combine the two. Claudio Domenicali has gone out and publicly denied the idea of a V4 anyways but I do suspect a new model next year. Cant wait!

Uhhh yes. The Ducati Apollo. It was strange looking but had the beans :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.