Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just joined the group,greetings to all.After six trouble free years my 1982 600sl has recently become clunky when engaging gear at standstill and almost impossible to take out of gear-----clutch drag I'm assuming.I have bled the hydraulics and they appear to work perfectly well,notwithstanding the fact that the system is still using an unbraided line.Inspection of the plates and basket show no wear or damage yet it would appear that the plates are not separating correctly.the thrust bearing and pin also seem fine.I have a 320 km. round trip to the nearest bikeshop(I live east coast Tasmania) so would be very appreciative of any advice.I also ride a '96 Guzzi 1100 sport(carb model) but I know which puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
There were two different clutches for the 600SL. The first was similar to the 500, with an alloy basket, with cable operation from memory.
That was then changed to a (larger?) steel basket, as the extra torque of the 600cc caused it to slip. The later model had hydraulic operation, and was similar to later 600 and 750cc models.
The earlier model had very stiff springs to try to resolve the slippage issue.
The only area you don't mention is checking the plates for flatness. You may have a distorted plate, causing it to drag.
If the hydraulic actuation is working properly (and at this age there may be a leak from the internal O-rings on the pushing mechanism in the cover) a bent plate is worth checking for.
Perhaps take your clutch plates to Launceston next time you are going there and get an expert opinion of their condition?
I have a bucket of old spare clutch plates if you need a few.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts