Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I submitted this in the 1198 thread but a member on here taught me alittle about the 1199 so I think this is what I need to search for due to what I want. I am a experienced rider I have owned a 2003 r6 a 2005 cbr 600rr a 2008 zx6 but my favorite bike is a 2005 zx-636 that had some engine and ecu work it dynoed at 141.63 rwhp. I call it my zx-8. Now about me Im a heavy rolly polly rider im 5"7 260 but I love motorcycles I can ride with the best of them, but in my life time I have been through some bikes. I've now, narrowed it down to 2012 1199 or a 2013 zx-10r. I was told at a young age do move up in class until you mastered your current class. Im ready for a leader bike. The only fear I have is with ducati reliability. I have a good job and can afford a good used bike. I have four questions how is the reliability on the 1199 and does it come with a traditional slipper clutch? Does anyone own a 2013 zx10r and a 1199 or have anyone drove them both for a long period of time and can give back good insight. Are ducati's fragile? Whats the difference in a 1199 and a 1199s? Thanks in advance nice forum hopefully some of you ducati vets can help me

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Ducati has sorted out a lot of the reliability issues in the past decade. The last couple of generations (1199 and 1198) can be just as reliable as the japanese bikes if you take care of them. If you don't do any maintenance on it, it won't last long...but neither will a Honda, Suzuki, etc.

You can look up the specs on Ducati's site, or talk to a dealer, but yes, the 1199 has a slipper clutch, as well as many other gizmos. It's an amazing bike! The difference between the base and the S is that the S has magnesium wheels, Ohlins suspensions with electronic damping control on the forks, LED headlights, and probably a couple of other things I'm forgetting.

A lot of people come here asking what to get between a Ducati and a ZX10, or R1, or something like that. They're all great bikes in my opinion. The new ZX10R really is an awesome bike....but it's not a Ducati. It's really about your preference. Best thing to do is go out and ride both of them and then get which ever one you like better and makes you feel happy. Some people don't like the V-twins, others like myself and pretty much everyone on this forum, love it!

However, I must say that I find it very hard to believe that 636 was doing 141 hp at the wheel....that's pretty much WSS-spec, from a 9 year old bike. It'd take a bit more than some engine and ECU work to get it up there. Must've been a dyno that gives out very optimistic numbers.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ducati's are not fragile by any means.

The 1199 has 112mm pistons and is built for action.

Come get some!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ducati has sorted out a lot of the reliability issues in the past decade. The last couple of generations (1199 and 1198) can be just as reliable as the japanese bikes if you take care of them. If you don't do any maintenance on it, it won't last long...but neither will a Honda, Suzuki, etc.

You can look up the specs on Ducati's site, or talk to a dealer, but yes, the 1199 has a slipper clutch, as well as many other gizmos. It's an amazing bike! The difference between the base and the S is that the S has magnesium wheels, Ohlins suspensions with electronic damping control on the forks, LED headlights, and probably a couple of other things I'm forgetting.

A lot of people come here asking what to get between a Ducati and a ZX10, or R1, or something like that. They're all great bikes in my opinion. The new ZX10R really is an awesome bike....but it's not a Ducati. It's really about your preference. Best thing to do is go out and ride both of them and then get which ever one you like better and makes you feel happy. Some people don't like the V-twins, others like myself and pretty much everyone on this forum, love it!

However, I must say that I find it very hard to believe that 636 was doing 141 hp at the wheel....that's pretty much WSS-spec, from a 9 year old bike. It'd take a bit more than some engine and ECU work to get it up there. Must've been a dyno that gives out very optimistic numbers.
Thanks for the information Im leaning towards the 1199. P.s the 636 engine had more surgeries than the real housewives of where ever, and I had it dyno on separate occasions at separate dynos with my low being 137.11 and 141 being my high. The only thing on the engine that is original is the block and that has been massaged alot. Its more of a construtacon engine with some stuff from a 2004 zx10, 2010 zx10 parts and others in it. The frame is an 05 thou, so yea the all the dynos cant be wrong. I drove a 2013 zx10 its nice but it does not give me the sexyness of the ducati I made my mind up I just got to save for another month my calculations was based on a 2010 1098 but not a 2012 1199. I will be there in a month.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The "S" doesn't have Magnesium wheels.
Only the SL has Magnesium wheels.

The 1199 Base has cast wheels.
The "S", "Tricolore" and "R" have the same lightweight 3 spoked Forged Aluminium wheels.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I stand corrected. In any case, the S has lighter wheels.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Two words for the Panigale riding experience: absolute fun.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In 1199, Ducati has sorted out a lot of design flaws. The amount of engineering going into it is just very different from traditional ducatis, while still remaining faithful to the principles.
New are things like electronics compartments with cooling air ducts, which have never been seen in other ducatis. Battery that can be accessed without undoing the fairings, easy to remove subframe, etc. this makes it more reliable than 1098 generation (who the heck designed to put the regulator next to the exhaust ???)

It is a lot easier to ride too, compared to earlier ducatis. It is almost similar to japanese bike in terms of seating and handling, said my brother who rides a cbr600rr (and absolutely hated my 848).

And yes, 1199 comes standard with mechanical slipper clutch.

Buy an S, take it to the track, let it rip, and experience what it is like humping the leg of godzilla!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Randy, I have had the 2013 1199 S for about 6 weeks now, bought a demo from the local dealer, I have not had any issues and the bike has surprised me at how useable it is for everyday riding along with arm lengthening power that comes when you get it over 7000 RPM. A work colleague has the 2012 ZX-10 and we have been on a few rides together and we swapped for a portion of the run. I am 6'2" and 290 lbs so fit into the same riding mould as you and the Kwaka felt small to me, the Ducati is comfortable and I get more feel when opening it up through the twistys, scraped the newTermis but that is more to do with the 290 lbs than any problem with the bike. Personally the Ducati is a much better looking bike and if you can afford the S I would recommend it for the adjustable suspension, we big boys need to work on that a lirttle more than the smaller stature riders. Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll have fun on whatever you decide to buy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
S mainly is suspension difference from base (ohlins electric). If this is your first foray into this bike please please please please get the suspension set up for your riding style AND weight. I think he stock springs up front go up to 190 range (may need an official fact checker here). A properly set up bike (especially a Panigale) is a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
220 Posts
For me, the biggest value in S is actually the lightweight wheels. The Ohlins come close second.
Lightweight wheels are magical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts