Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a experienced rider I have owned a 2003 r6 a 2005 cbr 600rr a 2008 zx6 but my favorite bike is a 2005 zx-636 that had some engine and ecu work it dynoed at 141.63 rwhp. I call it my zx-8. Now about me Im a heavy rolly polly rider im 5"7 260 but I love motorcycles I can ride with the best of them but in my life time I have been through some bikes. Im looking at a 2010 1198 or a 2013 zx-10r. I was told at a young age do move up in class until you mastered your current class. Im ready for a leader bike. The only fear I have is with ducati reliability. I have a good job and can afford a good used bike. I have four questions how is the reliability on the 1198 and does it come with a traditional slipper clutch? Does anyone own a 2013 zx10r and a 1198 or have anyone drove them both for a long period of time and can give back good insight. Are ducati's fragile? Thanks in advance nice forum hopefully some of you ducati vets can help me

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum Randy.

The 1198 is a pretty reliable bike, I beg to say the most reliable bike of the superbike era, though some may argue. The service intervals are every 7500 miles and if your handy with a wrench, doing valve checks/belt replacements, isn't a big deal. Service providers will charge between $500 - $1800 to do these service intervals, which for some is a lot of money. I wouldn't call them "fragile", they can take a licking and keep on ticking no problem.

When you look at the development of the 1198, its clear the machine was produced to have grunt coming out of corners. Its a king of the midrange and it doesn't have the top end of the 4 bangers. I have friends with ZX10's and they say riding one is like having your arm's ripped out of their sockets. They rev to the moon AND can get out of hand very quickly. The Ducati won't, in fact its such a lazy bike to ride, you can keep a good cruising speed and be going at a good clip. The ZX10 is also a nervous bike, maybe not with a 260lb rider, but its something to think about. The 1198 is very stable, in fact on the track, its a downside that a lot of people try to fix through geometry changes.

Unfortunately, the 1198 doesn't come with a slipper. Due to it having a dry clutch, the wear is already high on the clutch plates. So adding a slipper just brings the wear up and I feel Ducati didn't want to make ALL the bikes with a slipper due to the 2 year warranty, they'd be swapping disks constantly. Once they went back to wet clutch with the Panigale, they made the slipper standard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum Randy.

The 1198 is a pretty reliable bike, I beg to say the most reliable bike of the superbike era, though some may argue. The service intervals are every 7500 miles and if your handy with a wrench, doing valve checks/belt replacements, isn't a big deal. Service providers will charge between $500 - $1800 to do these service intervals, which for some is a lot of money. I wouldn't call them "fragile", they can take a licking and keep on ticking no problem.

When you look at the development of the 1198, its clear the machine was produced to have grunt coming out of corners. Its a king of the midrange and it doesn't have the top end of the 4 bangers. I have friends with ZX10's and they say riding one is like having your arm's ripped out of their sockets. They rev to the moon AND can get out of hand very quickly. The Ducati won't, in fact its such a lazy bike to ride, you can keep a good cruising speed and be going at a good clip. The ZX10 is also a nervous bike, maybe not with a 260lb rider, but its something to think about. The 1198 is very stable, in fact on the track, its a downside that a lot of people try to fix through geometry changes.

Unfortunately, the 1198 doesn't come with a slipper. Due to it having a dry clutch, the wear is already high on the clutch plates. So adding a slipper just brings the wear up and I feel Ducati didn't want to make ALL the bikes with a slipper due to the 2 year warranty, they'd be swapping disks constantly. Once they went back to wet clutch with the Panigale, they made the slipper standard.
Thanks alot tye1138 I guess I need to up my account and look at a 1199 panigale do you know are they fragile and are they reliable.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Thanks alot tye1138 I guess I need to up my account and look at a 1199 panigale do you know are they fragile and are they reliable.
As much as I dislike many things about the Panigale PERSONALLY, one has to admit its the most reliable Ducati made. They hired an outside firm to design the motor and they did a pretty darn good job. Far more complex, far more difficult to work on as well. I also don't think the Panigale is more robust then a trellis framed machine.

If you aren't ever going to wrench it… and you have the money to buy one and pay for someone else to wrench… then the Panigale should be at the top of your list in my view.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I posted on the other one because i saw the 1199 thread first. I won't repeat the same here, I'll just say the 1198 is a great bike as well. I have one and it's a beast! I will never sell it (at least not as a whole). However, as far as street bikes go, I'd say the 1199 is better overall. If I was in the market for a superbike now, and the difference between an 1199 and an 1198 wasn't more than $3-4k, I'd buy the the 1199.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow...I would ride the Panigale and compare it the 1198 before making any decisions. It is true you are going to want a slipper clutch and a dry clutch wears out faster nevertheless you are going to want the bike with the highest and flattest torque curve and that is the 1198.

With a Ducati you have to maintain the bike more than just changing the oil and tires. But what you are maintaining is the art of engineering. This compares to the ZX10 which needs little in maintenance but also gives little in thrills unless your dragging your elbows. As for looks that should be obvious but to each his own.

Unless you are going to buy a Superleggera I would buy the 1198 and the leave the ZX10 for those who like to...

·
Registered
303 Posts
If your looking for a bike that will put down the fastest possible time at the track, the 2013 ZX-10R will beat out the 1198. Ducati's are fun to ride, I love the L-twin, it's really different. I love the look of Ducati as well. But my $0.02 is that the ZX-10R is as a track weapon a superior machine, and will cost less to maintain.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
The 1198/1098 crashes well...if you're into that sort of thing :p

Reactions: 1fast750ss

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had a few issues with my 1198 (2009) over the 12,000 or so miles I had it but none that I thought were serious and they were fixed by the dealer and are well documented on the forums.

Oil line leak- quick fix
Expanding gas tank- known problem. replaced and coated
Radiator leak- known problem with mount. replaced

I replaced the clutch because it was making a "squawking" sound but that was more of an annoyance than a problem per se.

If you can find a bike that has had the tank coated and/or replaced and the radiator replaced (or one with the new mount), I think you'd be ahead of the curve.

Never rode a Panigale but from the talk on the forums and at the dealer, it's a better all-around bike.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have owned an older ZX10 and would say in terms of maintenance it's a lot easier to work on and maintain. That comes with most Japanese bikes. My experience is mainly with the 1199S and it's an experience to ride. Engine is amazing has a nice power/torque curve to it. Everywhere you go you feel like a rock star. It has better ergonomics then a ZX10 which is very aggressive.
If you want speed and a solid bike to keep up with the litre crowd go Kawasaki.
If you want exotic, awesome handling, great looking, sweet engine go Ducati.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Keep in mind that the Ducati is not slow. Don't think that just because a few people are saying the ZX10 is faster, that the 1199 is a slouch. We're talking small differences here. The 1199 is faster than the 1198, and I've past R1's and CBR1000s with my pretty-much-stock 1198 on long straights at tracks like BIR and Road America. All of these bikes are very fast, so to make a decision based on top speed would be pretty dumb.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I personally do not think you can compare a Ducati L twin vs an inline 4 they make power in different ways. The point is to get a Ducati out on the track or carve on Sunday afternoon. I feel some people want to look at straight line performance and that is not what a 1199/1098 is really all about.
I agree with Rubbish the 1199 is no slouch. In the upper end of the rev range it hauls ass. I will say it's a lot more fun to ride then a ZX10R. As much as I like Japanese bikes and I have had many they do not compare to the fun factor of a Ducati.

Reactions: rubbish

·
Registered
303 Posts
My 1098S is dedicated track. I could have easily sold it and bought a much newer Jap bike, but I really love the way the L-twin makes power. I'm almost positive I'd be a little faster on a Jap bike, but I also like representing with the Duc. Oh well

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I've ridden a CBR on the track multiple times as well as my 1198...hard to compare since the CBR was a 600, so obviously I was much slower with it, but the 1198 definitely made me smile more. Which is why I still have it, and sold the CBR ;)

Reactions: Shogill

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I've ridden a CBR on the track multiple times as well as my 1198...hard to compare since the CBR was a 600, so obviously I was much slower with it, but the 1198 definitely made me smile more. Which is why I still have it, and sold the CBR ;)
Yea, with the 600's, you've gotta really ride aggressive and carry corner speed. Its MUCH more work then the 1098, where you can kinda ride much more lazy and let the motor do the work on corner exit. Lots of guys like to ride that way, but in the end, the 600's will teach you how to attack the track, which is what you need in order to decrease your laptime. The little Duc's I've owned were decent hybrids, still have the twin torque exiting corners, but if you didn't carry corner speed, you'd be screwed down the straights. So you still had to attack the track and ride hard. Riding the 1098/1198 like that, feels like cheating, it really does. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
From my limited experience with the Duc's so far, I have to say that it is something special ride and enjoy for sure.

All of my bikes were pretty well sorted after some tinkering and turning of spanners etc etc.

Amazingly the xx98's feel special from the off.

The difference in straightline speed is negligible when you take into account how well the 98's corner and brake.

Some acquaintances of mine told me I was stupid for buying italian. Yet they don't have the smile I do and the feelings I do when I'm riding my 98.

Over and above that, park any of the japs next to a Duc in a parking lot. We all know which of the two will have the most attention. ;-)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 1098r and a 1199r and Ducati definitely moved the game on with the 1199. Is very easy to ride and the dtc and abs are great safety features.

Both are reliable and have all the power you need for a street/track bike.

Power delivery is different with the 1198 having a huge amount of torque low town whereas the 1199 most of the power comes in the upper rev range.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am a experienced rider I have owned a 2003 r6 a 2005 cbr 600rr a 2008 zx6 but my favorite bike is a 2005 zx-636 that had some engine and ecu work it dynoed at 141.63 rwhp. I call it my zx-8. Now about me Im a heavy rolly polly rider im 5"7 260 but I love motorcycles I can ride with the best of them but in my life time I have been through some bikes. Im looking at a 2010 1198 or a 2013 zx-10r. I was told at a young age do move up in class until you mastered your current class. Im ready for a leader bike. The only fear I have is with ducati reliability. I have a good job and can afford a good used bike. I have four questions how is the reliability on the 1198 and does it come with a traditional slipper clutch? Does anyone own a 2013 zx10r and a 1198 or have anyone drove them both for a long period of time and can give back good insight. Are ducati's fragile? Thanks in advance nice forum hopefully some of you ducati vets can help me
My first bike was a actually a 1198.. took me 6 month to feel somewhat confident.. everything is possible. The 1198 is pretty much a bitch to ride. The geometry is not very inviting for street riding. Getting stuck in traffic sucks; especially in summer. If you have another 15k you can make a 1198 track worthy and have some fun. Everything else is more of owning a piece of art good for a couple weekend rides here and there.

The KaWi is easier to ride, cheaper, faster, more reliable, offers better handling and is also easier to work on.

m2c

1 - 20 of 23 Posts