Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is this guy????

Danilo Petrucci leads the first day of testing in Phillip Island, perfectly using the limited dry track time.
Unlike many other riders, Danilo Petrucci chose to remain inside his Octo Pramac Yakhnich pit box during the opening hours of the test as rain fell intermittently. When the track was at its best, ‘Petrux’ took his chance and pushed for a fast lap time on slick tyres. During the two brief periods of dry track, the Italian set a 1’31.764 and led the day. This is the second time in 2016 in which Petrucci has topped the timesheets in testing, the first coming in Sepang. Two solid results have given both Petrucci and the Octo Pramac Yakhnich team a boost in confidence, one they are hoping to capitalize on should conditions improve in the coming days.

Danilo Petrucci: “I'm happy to be so competitive. We are very confident and it is nice to start the season with these good feelings. My fastest time? I hope to do it again even when it will count, but it's always nice to finish a day of work in first place. It was a difficult day due to the rain. In the morning we could have run in the wet but the conditions were not the greatest. We did only a few laps, 12, but I'm pretty happy because we produced data to study. Basically we used two runs to understand which direction to go with the bike. Many things have changed since last year. There is much work to do and to finish in front gives you a boost."

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Not to be a debby downer, but that doesn't really mean much. It just means he was on track at the right time and he pushed a bit harder than others given the conditions. He's still a few seconds off the lap record. Times will drop in the 1:28's if it's perfectly dry.

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to be a debby downer, but that doesn't really mean much. It just means he was on track at the right time and he pushed a bit harder than others given the conditions. He's still a few seconds off the lap record. Times will drop in the 1:28's if it's perfectly dry.
Have you already been to Los Angeles????

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Have you already been to Los Angeles????
:laughing::laughing: I was waiting for the reference! ;)

No, but really...when you see lorenzo and pedrosa down in 16-17th, 8 seconds behind the leader...you know you can pretty much disregard the entire results sheet :eek:

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:laughing::laughing: I was waiting for the reference! ;)

No, but really...when you see lorenzo and pedrosa down in 16-17th, 8 seconds behind the leader...you know you can pretty much disregard the entire results sheet :eek:
Agreed, but he was also pretty damn good @ the previous test session! Now he is making headlines again!!! And not doing a prima-donna routine about the Ducati or about the tires!! Maybe young, dumb, and full of come!!! Anyway,.... kinda refreshing..... btw,.... g'day to test the rain tires!!!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Petrucci has been around for a fair while. I think he rode Kawasakis in SBK for a long time, and has ridden for Pramac Ducati for a while.

He had some better results last year. Might be one of those riders who never had a competitive machine, and is only now able to show what he can do.

But of course Rub is right in that times from a weather affected test like that don't tell a lot. But I would nevertheless suggest that Petrucci might post some decent results this year if the bike is any good.

Sorry I don't have any 'local insights' as such. Nothing on local news unless someone gets hurt..

:mad:

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
And he's 26 - I just looked him up.

Not Y,D and FOC as far as I can tell. I seem to remember him going well in the wet too.

And he's quietly confident about the bike, if you do a bit of reading..

Eight Ducatis on the grid in GP. Gotta be happy with that.

:)

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny,... no one seems to be talking about the Michelin tires!!!...or did I miss something?............
.....just askin....

·
Registered
667 Posts
Funny,... no one seems to be talking about the Michelin tires!!!...or did I miss something?............
.....just askin....
MM said he doesn't feel well on the Michelin because the bike is still setup for the bridgestones. He said if they can get a full day of dry weather tomorrow, hopefully they can lock in a setup with the Michelins.

Vinales obviously liked the seemless upshifts and the new front tire Michelin brought.

Maniac Joe and Rossi love the Michelin rain tires.

Still not enough dry time to have a race simulation.

Forecast for tomorrow.......... :piss:

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ Thanks, ...I understand what Marquez is talking about... in 2015 his pole winning time in Q2 was 1:28.36, in the 2016 test @ the same track is 1:29.29. So he is, at least, looking for about a second/lap. Not to shabby for a second day test time. (really the first sunny day). Surprising info as PI is famous for tire wear! Guess day three should have some interesting results, if the weather stays good!!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Not a real lot of public comment about the Michelins. But of course we all have personal preferences as to tyre brands, just as we do for certain makes of bike, certain riders etc.

You and me both, Bob. ;)

I guess the riders are being a bit careful about what they say at this stage, with the potential for any stray comment to 'go viral'. None of them wanting to get offside with the sole tyre supplier..

On the positive side, a lot of the riders are happy with the wets. And the fact that they are within a second of last year's times in the dry, given the other rule changes (standard issued ECU for example) tells me that the tyres are pretty good.

Many saying that the fronts are going to require some set-up chasing. They obviously feel a bit different to the Bridgestones. But I for one didn't expect them to go so fast so soon on different tyres.

Loris Baz isn't impressed, obviously, and that issue needs to be resolved, but I for one am pleasantly surprised with how soon the tyres have started 'working'.

As to Marquez and Honda - it may take them a couple of rounds, but I'm afraid they will probably dominate if Marc doesn't crash.

You can be sure that Honda won't take last year's outcome lying down. Or Marquez.

Let's hope he doesn't get to do any more lying down trackside..

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
All I know is as soon as this season starts, I'm getting myself some Pirellis! :D

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Day 3 is underway (actually almost over). Vinales again at the top so far, with Marquez in 2nd...and a certain Loris Baz in 3rd!! Wow! Top Ducati is Baz? This is some weird shit...makes me think this will be an interesting season.

I'm sure someone at Ducati is not quite pleased to see both Avintia bikes ahead of the Pramac AND factory bikes!

Reactions: cb4265

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Also couldn't help notice the Aprilias are not testing....you would think they'd take every chance they can to test considering their performance from last year.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I gather it is still a bit weather-affected over there, even though the top guys are into the 1.29s, so we probably can't take too much from that order.

A bit cruel for Australia in mid-summer! Sorry guys..

Interesting nonetheless that the Suzuki is fast, finally. And that Vinales is quicker than Espargaro, who seemed quicker than him most of last year.

A bit of a fan of Maverick's, after his achievements in the smaller classes. I hope the Suzuki is competitive over race distance now, and allows him to show what he is capable of.

The more in the leading group the better, I reckon. I am actually more interested in good racing than who wins, personally.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Looks like the MotoGP site is a bit delayed, as it's showing 1hr 45 mins to go, when local time at PI would be 4 PM now.

I know they close the place strictly at 5. At least they do for us mere mortals..

And Pedrosa just crept into 10th, in spite of coming off at T4 earlier.

But with Ducatis in 3rd, 5th, 8th and 9th there is cause for hope amongst the Ducatisti, even though this weather-affected test doesn't really give us conclusive information.

:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.